Prepared cards / discarding

By TrevinoKing, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Good morning everybody. Quick question I’m prepared cards and how their discarded. I always thought anytime you used a prepared card you discarded it and reshuffled during the rally phase in hopes of drawing again

but I read some other posts about how the prepared cards are actually permanent unless it specifically states to discard. Is that true??

3 minutes ago, TrevinoKing said:

Good morning everybody. Quick question I’m prepared cards and how their discarded. I always thought anytime you used a prepared card you discarded it and reshuffled during the rally phase in hopes of drawing again

but I read some other posts about how the prepared cards are actually permanent unless it specifically states to discard. Is that true??

Simply put, you only discard a prepared card if:

1) The card says to discard itself

2) You use one of the bold keywords on the card (ie. strike x, hide, sprint x)

3) The app or other game effect specifically tells you to do so

You’ll notice on the back of the rules reference that each of those keywords will have you discard the card after use.

Other than those examples, you can keep those precious cards prepared for as long as you like! Examples of cards that do not get discarded after use of their main text include: Keen Eyes (Legolas), Master Tactician (Captain), Self Sufficient (Burglar), and Trailblazer (Pathfinder). Remember, though, each of those cards also have a keyword which, if used, will discard the card. This keyword can be used in addition to the main card text.

That is awesome! I was looking at a Gandalf card - greater power and it was all bold... strike, sprint, guard, test, hide and your post clears that up.

thank you

5 minutes ago, Aaron0013 said:

Simply put, you only discard a prepared card if:

1) The card says to discard itself

2) You use one of the bold keywords on the card (ie. strike x, hide, sprint x)

3) The app or other game effect specifically tells you to do so

You’ll notice on the back of the rules reference that each of those keywords will have you discard the card after use.

Other than those examples, you can keep those precious cards prepared for as long as you like! Examples of cards that do not get discarded after use of their main text include: Keen Eyes (Legolas), Master Tactician (Captain), Self Sufficient (Burglar), and Trailblazer (Pathfinder). Remember, though, each of those cards also have a keyword which, if used, will discard the card. This keyword can be used in addition to the main card text.

🙏

Last question. Do you get to keep all of the prepared cards in between adventures? Or do you start over every adventure? Sorry for all the questions! But you guys are helping a lot

Edited by TrevinoKing
15 minutes ago, TrevinoKing said:

Last question. Do you get to keep all of the prepared cards in between adventures? Or do you start over every adventure? Sorry for all the questions! But you guys are helping a lot

Reset after each adventure. The beginning of the Roles Reference had all the rules for how to reset and prepare between each adventure.

Remember at You can only have four card prepared!

ran the second adventure tonight and ran into a question for everyone

Aragorn has a skill card - Thorongil that converts any test to wisdom his greatest attribute. The card says discard this skill to test for wisdom. Does that mean discard the skill he is testing? For example discard might and test wisdom instead making it a permanent card?

or does that mean discard the skill card to test for wisdom? The card doesn’t explicitly say discard this card when used

edit: Got an answer today. It gets discarded because all cards are considered “skills”.

Edited by TrevinoKing