Looking for Deathtrooper Advice

By oreet, in Painting

So I have 2 Deathtrooper sets. They are all assembled, and painted black. I'm going to hit the little green spots on the helmets, and do some highlights, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to differentiate the 2 units. As you can see below, for other troops, I've been able to incorporate different colors. The Shoretroopers have different colored arm armor, the Fleet Troopers have different colored shirts and pants, and the Rebel Troopers have different themed clothing.

PK1D4mD.jpg

But I'm at a loss on what to do with my Deathtroopers, and was hoping maybe someone here's got an idea I could work with. I don't want to do the rim of the base, I'm doing all of the Empire in one color, and all the Rebels in another color. I don't want something as subtle as just changing the dots on the helmet from green to something else, I want it to be easily recognizable from a distance while playing a game, just in case the 2 units are on the table, and are too close to each other to easily identify who belongs to which unit.

You could always paint the pauldrons/shoulder pads a specific color. Still retains the over all black scheme, but with enough distinctiveness that they're identifiable.

19 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

You could always paint the pauldrons/shoulder pads a specific color. Still retains the over all black scheme, but with enough distinctiveness that they're identifiable.

Could even be dark gray and dark blue to still maintain the dark color scheme, but have enough difference.

6 minutes ago, oreet said:

Could even be dark gray and dark blue to still maintain the dark color scheme, but have enough difference.

Exactly. Or dark green if you want it to match the green visor bits, maintaining the scheme.

Taking a page from 40K, squads of space marines - let's just use Smurfs/Ultramarines for the sake of argument - might have a squad number or company designation on their knee pad, shoulder pad, or other. Try Googling " space marine squad markings " to look for yourself. Home-made decals are fairly easy to accomplish, or free-hand painting if you're that type. Deathtrooper armor is a bit more realistically proportioned than the typical space marine, but there are a ton of possibilities that could be impactful without making your Deathtroopers look like 40K escapees.

So I went with @Alpha17 's suggestion of coloring the shoulders. One squad is dark purple, the other dark red, and the larger shoulder pieces are lighter version of the colors.

In person they appear much darker than this photo, but still identifiable.

0dQPsqX.jpg

Looks good! Shouldn't be any risk of getting them mixed up, and there's no question that they are Deathtroopers.

Why not make each squads base slightly different? I just finished two squads of snow troopers that have 75% snow coverage on their base so I just used a different color tuft of grass to differentiate between them. Most people will never notice the difference but it's easy for me to separate them if need be.