3-player help and recommendations

By MRoxs, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

For a while now, I've been in possession of two core-sets and the first expansion: The Dunwich Legacy and up to 4 packs of the cycle (I'm currently not positive if I have the final one). I want to try to play it again with 3 players in total, but I'm wondering if I have enough cards to make three decent decks.

With the cards I have available, will it be possible to make three player decks? If so, any advice on what kind of decks to build (classes) or will I need another copy of the core set? Any help or a point towards the right direction is appreciated.

As I said, I'm currently only have the main campaign and The Dunwich Legacy. What are your personal recommendations for some of the other campaigns? Path of Carcosa piques my interest but it's currently unavailable where a live. Which other campaigns are thematically great in your opinion and must-plays.

You will absolutely be able to make 3 decent player decks with what you have. The simplest approach would be to take investigators such that there is no class overlap and have one focused on dealing with monsters (Zoey is a strong choice, Skids or Jenny could also work), one focused on investigating (Rex or Daisy are both great) and one who can switch as needed ("Ashcan", either of the mystics or even Wendy could work here).

The Path to Carcosa is the obvious next choice and in my opinion is best campaign released so far. If that isn't available then I'm not sure there's a clear next best choice, the other campaigns all have their own strengths and weaknesses. I'd probably go with The Forgotten Age , just be aware that it will probably be a noticeable step up in difficulty compared to The Dunwich Legacy .

If you want further deck building advice or have other questions feel free to ask. Otherwise, good luck and I hope you have fun!

I have loved path to carcosa personally (I’ve done everything up to the final 2 scenario packs in it (including all previous campaigns)) its my personal favorite so far, the unique mechanics are very enjoyable and I love the story (the king in yellow being one of my favorite antagonists in Lovecraft)

Edited by Sooner535
1 hour ago, Sooner535 said:

I love the story (the king in yellow being one of my favorite antagonists in Lovecraft)

Except that Lovecraft never wrote a word about the King in Yellow. That was Robert W. Chambers.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:19 PM, Assussanni said:

You will absolutely be able to make 3 decent player decks with what you have. The simplest approach would be to take investigators such that there is no class overlap and have one focused on dealing with monsters (Zoey is a strong choice, Skids or Jenny could also work), one focused on investigating (Rex or Daisy are both great) and one who can switch as needed ("Ashcan", either of the mystics or even Wendy could work here).

The Path to Carcosa is the obvious next choice and in my opinion is best campaign released so far. If that isn't available then I'm not sure there's a clear next best choice, the other campaigns all have their own strengths and weaknesses. I'd probably go with The Forgotten Age , just be aware that it will probably be a noticeable step up in difficulty compared to The Dunwich Legacy .

If you want further deck building advice or have other questions feel free to ask. Otherwise, good luck and I hope you have fun!

Thanks for taking the time to type that out. It's reassuring that I have enough for a three-player incursion into the campaigns. The Path to Carcosa looks amazing. I've managed to find the deluxe box somewhere, but the cycle is entirely unavailable. Hopefully there'll be a reprint in the near future.

I'm not too familiar with the characters; I'll have to look them up again. Back in the day we often ran with one player playing Roland and myself using Agnes Baker if I remember correctly. Would that work and which character would be a good supplement? Still Wendy or Ashcan?

Ashcan is better than wendy in most circumstances. If you have the means to make a dark horse deck with ashcan he will be very helpful in any campaign.

18 minutes ago, MRoxs said:

I'm not too familiar with the characters; I'll have to look them up again. Back in the day we often ran with one player playing Roland and myself using Agnes Baker if I remember correctly. Would that work and which character would be a good supplement? Still Wendy or Ashcan?

I see Roland and Agnes as both bring generalists. Roland tends to scew a little more attacky, but Agnes, like most mystics, you can build to go either way.

If you are settled on those two, I'd go someone very searchy as the third. I'd pick Rex for this, as Daisy offers a lot if conflict with Agnes's deck. Rex conflicts a little with Roland, but less if you lean into Roland bring the attacker.

The other option is to go Jenny, I guess, as rogue is the only unused class there. But I feel like picking Jenny would leave that team without a reliable searcher.

Edited by Magnito
52 minutes ago, MRoxs said:

Thanks for taking the time to type that out. It's reassuring that I have enough for a three-player incursion into the campaigns. The Path to Carcosa looks amazing. I've managed to find the deluxe box somewhere, but the cycle is entirely unavailable. Hopefully there'll be a reprint in the near future.

My impression from seeing "new player" posts on forums is that we got quite a few new players at Christmas and then another new wave during COVID lockdown, presumably looking for good solo/2 player games. This, probably coupled with COVID related supply issues in getting new stock from China, seems to have overwhelmed FFG's ability to keep product in stock.

Old packs have typically not been out of stock for more than a couple of months at a time, although there may be more a delay now. With that said, I'm sure that FFG are aware of the situation and I'd imagine that they are trying their hardest to replenish the supply of mythos packs if they have seen an increase in popularity of the game.

1 hour ago, MRoxs said:

This has already been commented on above, but I think there are two ways you could go starting with a team of Roland + Agnes. You could focus Roland almost entirely on dealing with monsters and add a Seeker (probably Rex) to the group. Roland and Rex would overlap in Seeker card access, but Roland would mainly be taking Guardian cards so the overlap shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Alternatively, you could make Roland more balanced between fighting and investigating (e.g. including cards like Working a Hunch, Deduction, maybe Art Student) and add another generalist to the group - Jenny being the obvious choice since her Rogue access doesn't overlap with Roland's or Agnes's cards. Taking the "pay to boost" assets of Hard Knocks and Arcane Studies in Jenny is a nice way to be able to turn her resources into whatever stat she happens to need at the time.

In both cases Agnes is a generalist - as a mystic she is good at both fighting and investigating providing she has the right cards in play. Of the two groups, I'd say the first is probably stronger. Being able to reliably gather clues and pass intellect tests is key to success, even more so in The Dunwich Legacy than some of the other campaigns.

On 8/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, Carthoris said:

Except that Lovecraft never wrote a word about the King in Yellow. That was Robert W. Chambers.

Thanks for the correction >.< it was very early (for me anyways)

Edited by Sooner535

Edited by Mimi61
On 8/4/2020 at 8:09 AM, MRoxs said:

For a while now, I've been in possession of two core-sets and the first expansion: The Dunwich Legacy and up to 4 packs of the cycle (I'm currently not positive if I have the final one). I want to try to play it again with 3 players in total, but I'm wondering if I have enough cards to make three decent decks.

With the cards I have available, will it be possible to make three player decks? If so, any advice on what kind of decks to build (classes) or will I need another copy of the core set? Any help or a point towards the right direction is appreciated.

As I said, I'm currently only have the main campaign and The Dunwich Legacy. What are your personal recommendations for some of the other campaigns? Path of Carcosa piques my interest but it's currently unavailable where a live. Which other campaigns are thematically great in your opinion and must-plays.

If you aren’t starting right away, the new investigator packs are releasing on Aug 28. You could also look and see if any are a good choice to round out your group. There are some really good new player cards in them and they are designed to be played through a campaign for someone who may not have access to the core set or is new or doesn’t want to spend ages building decks. The upgrades for a campaign are included.

Edited by Mimi61

After some waiting I've finally managed to acquire the final cycle for Dunwich Legacy, so we're ready to start the deluxe expansion. I did take a look at the investigators, but, and this may sound weird, I'm not too fond of them character-wise or something, compared to the expansion's characters. I dunno why. I'll have to check them out again. Super-excited to finally continue the card game, but we've been busy with Marvel Heroes which is also a fantastic LCG outing by FFG.