After Shadowed Paths, which characters would you like to see next?

By Diovidius, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Of the canon named characters I'm most interested in Boromir (to complete the fellowship, minus the hobbits) and Radagast.

Boromir might be on the young side to fit the 'between the Hobbit and Fellowship' timeframe, but I think it works. He was 23 at the start of the Fellowship (and he was 40 when the Fellowship was formed). He might have been adventuring since he was 16. We know he was a great warrior and captain that fought Orcs in Gondor before joining the fellowship.

Outside of Boromir and Radagast we're sorely missing people from Rohan and I'd like a Beorning. I also wouldn't mind another hobbit. But for these categories I care less if they are canon or not.

We definitely need some more hobbits, regardless of who they opt to go with. We've currently got three humans, three dwarves, and three elves. But only one hobbit. I mean they could just go the easy route of foregoing a consistent timeline and just add Sam and Frodo, as they did with the LCG. Then they'd be free to include whatever characters they wanted as playable.

On that note, whether it's playable or as an enemy, I'd love to see Gollum/Smeagle in the game.

I'll also second the idea of adding Boromir.

See also this older thread:

In terms of options for who to add, here's what I posted in that thread:

The Lord of the Rings LCG, which is set during the same time period (but including The Hobbit era), has 80 unique heroes, some from the lore and some creations of FFG:

https://ringsdb.com/find?q=t%3Ahero

I would consider this a reasonable list from which the JiME designers might draw inspiration.

Some notable heroes I'd like to see include:

• Elladan/Elrohir (Elrond's sons and known adventurers)
  • Eowyn, Eomer and/or Theoden
  • Boromir and Faramir
  • Thranduil, Celeborn or other Silvan elves from the Lorien/Mirkwood region
  • Glorfindel
  • Halbarad
  • Treebeard or Quickbeam
  • Brand or Bard (Dale)

Edited by Kjeld

Really good examples above ^ though I will say I believe those dale characters(at least brand), were announced to be NPC's in the DLC expansion thats coming out so we won't get them, same for Thranduil.

Eowyn is a no brainer since she's iconic, they loved her in the LCG, and she's a canon female character.

Boromir is high up on my list, as well as Theoden, though I could see them saving him as a non player character.

Treebeard or any ent are very cool ideas, would be great to see down the road as a big shake up and would go a long way in preventing overly similar heroes.

In the same vein, though I stronggggly doubt it would happen, they could take a page out of the LCG and give an unexpected Saruman/Grima heroes. While this wouldn't be likely unless the game gets a lot of expansions, it could easily open the door to fascinating and mechanics that would really break the mold even more than ent heroes, such as harming yourself/allies for gain much like the LCG "doomed" keyword.

I think its great they are adding more merit to races and the synergies present there, so more hobbits are a no brainer, as well as inevitable considering how many of them there are among the main characters.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:49 AM, Diovidius said:

Of the canon named characters I'm most interested in Boromir (to complete the fellowship, minus the hobbits) and Radagast.

Boromir might be on the young side to fit the 'between the Hobbit and Fellowship' timeframe, but I think it works. He was 23 at the start of the Fellowship (and he was 40 when the Fellowship was formed). He might have been adventuring since he was 16. We know he was a great warrior and captain that fought Orcs in Gondor before joining the fellowship.

Outside of Boromir and Radagast we're sorely missing people from Rohan and I'd like a Beorning. I also wouldn't mind another hobbit. But for these categories I care less if they are canon or not.

Boromir would be cool. My vote would be Elrond

Hobbits.

If next big expansion also added 5 heroes, I'd vote for Beorning (assume 1 new race added), Radagast, a hobbit, someone from Rohan, and either dwarf or elf. I like dwarves more, my kids prefer elves tho :)

I may be alone in this but I'd like to see more original heroes personally. Actually, I'd have been happy with zero book/movie characters altogether. I get why they did it but sometimes I'm like "Wait, so Aragorn and Legolas already met the Balrog and know he's down there?"

I just hope we don't get a dwarf swarm bias like in LotR LCG. Good Dwarf cards are everywhere in that game compared to elf, human, hobbits, and creatures.

Edited by Thaeggan

Chubby Bolger (Fatty Bolger's uncle). No brainer.

15 hours ago, Riggswolfe said:

I may be alone in this but I'd like to see more original heroes personally. Actually, I'd have been happy with zero book/movie characters altogether.

Totally agree with this. Let's mix it way up. Give us some weird stuff. A Wose/Druadan, an Ent, a Beorning, a furred up Forochel hunter? Yeah, more hobbits. Maybe from non-Shire areas... like Bree or even Stoors from Anduin or something. What about a playable Rohirrim? Or a Knight of Dol Amroth? Lots of fun generic things they could introduce that would make good original heroes.

I'll agree, I'd like to see more generic, or maybe fringe Tolkien characters that were named but we don't know much about. I think a decendant of Bullroarer Took would be a fun Hobbit to play and could conceivably use two hands. I'd also like to see some Rohirrim and other lesser known Elves.

Edited by Birdman137
On 8/8/2020 at 5:27 PM, Riggswolfe said:

I may be alone in this but I'd like to see more original heroes personally. Actually, I'd have been happy with zero book/movie characters altogether. I get why they did it but sometimes I'm like "Wait, so Aragorn and Legolas already met the Balrog and know he's down there?"

You're definitely not alone in this. One of the reasons I enjoyed Imperial Assault so much was that we were playing as original characters, so we were basically creating our own stories as we played instead of trying to fit any sort of established canon. It's fun to imagine the adventures other characters may have had, and not just assume that the book/movie stars were the only heroes in existence.

On 8/9/2020 at 7:07 AM, Birdman137 said:

I'd also like to see some Rohirrim and other lesser known Elves.

Here's a loose two for one for you: Eol

Inspiration: 5

Strength: 2

Wisdom: 3

Agility: 3

Spirit: 2

Wit: 4

Fear: 4, Damage 4

After interacting with a person token you may spend one inspiration per round to maintain an estranged marriage with the person and gain +1 to all attributes.

Must perform a Last Stand after taking any amount of fall damage. 😂

Edited by Thaeggan

Since we're "going to war" next year, my previous predictions are kind of... off :P Before that comment I was putting my money on: 1 dwarf (Dwalin or a custom one), 1 elf (Gildor possibly), 1 human (an Eorling perhaps, Eomund would fit the current timeline), 1 Istari (Radagast) and 1 other (say near-human, a Beorning).

However, I'd now say we'll move on with the timline and we'll get Boromir, Elladan and Elrohir, a dwarf and a Rohhirim :P

On 8/10/2020 at 6:39 PM, Thaeggan said:

After in teracting with a person token you may spend one inspiration per round to maintain an estranged marriage with the person and gain +1 to all attributes.

Must perform a Last Stand after taking any amount of fall damage. 😂

😂 😂 Unfortunately Eol doesn't for the timeline for the game, but this is hilarious!

Edited by Birdman137

I like original too, and if they can add adventures for specific characters (like Imperial Assault), that'd be a cool addition to add to their stories.

War could mean skirmishes in Cap of icengard or Osgiliath. The time period would fit better to Osgiliath, so some Gondorians?

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
Typos

Boromir for sure, but hopefully with better card art than his odd skullet horn LCG counterpart... The art of him in armour is far better.

Theodin and Glorfindel would be great too.

I'd like them to stay cannon (though not necessarily in the same timeframe) since we already have a handful of FFG's non-cannon characters.

There's plenty of minor characters that I'd love a campaign to create stories for:

Imrahil
Theodred
Fatty Bolger
Bill the Pony
Glorfindel (minor in LOTR anyway)
Haldir
Cirdan
Rosie Cotton
Hama
Gamling
Elladan
Elrohir

And since FFG still has yet to acknowledge that The Battle Under the Trees and The Battle of Dale took place in the third age:

Thranduil
Brand
Dain Ironfoot
Thorin III Stonehelm
Bard II

Hmmm what threebeard would be. A character that does act only every second round (don`t be hasty) and have douple stats to compensate? ;)

Well... maybe something else before talking trees...

Tangentially related, but does anyone know when the Haunting of Dale and Dwellers in Darkness will become available?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they were supposed to be released in mid-October, but I can't find it anymore, so take it with a grain of salt.

Regarding the topic: Even though that's not necessary my favorite, I think we'd need more hobbits. Primula Brandybuck would be my first choice - Frodo's mother. She's in the right age category, and little is known about her except for that she had Took blood and was adventurous enough to go boating with her husband. I think she'd make for an excellent semi-canon choice for a female hobbit, just like the semi-canon inclusion of Dís.

It could also be fun to introduce "Trotter" - a ranger hobbit inspired by Tolkien's original concept for Aragorn.

I think more Hobbits would be nice. And weren't the Tooks supposed to have a more rogueish reputation. Would be nice to have one of these and then maybe a more "upstanding hobbit". The hero specific cards could be for more thrillseeking hobbit and then for a more reluctant adventurer type. I think that would be interesting.

I would love to see:

• Some people from Rohan
  • At least 1 more hobbit
  • Non human creature like Treebeard

hopefully with different mechanics