A little Epic tidbit from GenCon

By Parakitor, in X-Wing Epic Play

Let's get the bad news out of the way: they didn't announce any new Epic or Huge expansions.

But they did share some interesting information. The Eta-2 Across Interceptor will come with a hyperspace ring to let that ship (and the Delta Aethersprite and V-wing) be placed in reserve and come into the battle later, docked to the ring. Why is this interesting? Because they said on the stream that the ring will not be Hyperspace legal OR Extended. It's for Epic Battles and scenario play only.

That's so interesting to me! Here, they have a popular ship releaseing for standard play that will come with components specifically for Epic/scenarios. I guess it's not too weird, considering the obstacle pack and munitions pack came with scenario cards.

Also, it seems the Heralds of Hope expansion is going to come with wing cards! Yes!!! (If I heard correctly, that is - my stream cut out for a few seconds right as they started talking about Epic). This is such a natural way to release these cards, rather than another Epic-specific pack that will come with components/cards for factions you may not even own.

They said this is something they plan to do going forward, sprinkling Epic/scenario/casual play content in standard expansions. I am all for it! In fact, I don't play my Resistance ships in Second Edition very much, and I already have 6 T-70s, so I talked myself out of buying Heralds of Hope. But after learning about the wing cards I am now considering picking it up after all.

I think it's the Eta-2 that comes with wing cards. 'Jedi Commander' or something like that. You can see them at the right end of the spread they originally revealed. One of the new cards also mentions 'structures' as something you can fly through, and the stream confirmed those are a forthcoming game feature. I'm really hoping they're something big and terrain-like we can use in Epic.* The same card also mentions huge ships, so they definitely had Epic in mind with that card. Flying through huge space stations and wrecked ships is such a big part of Star Wars, and I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to get that into the game somehow. I'm really hoping this is it.

*I expect it'll just be cardboard tokens like the obstacles as released, but we can make 3D ones later...

5 hours ago, JanjyGiggins said:

I think it's the Eta-2 that comes with wing cards. 'Jedi Commander' or something like that. You can see them at the right end of the spread they originally revealed.

Bummer. Just finished watching, and you're right: they don't mention Resistance wings. Sad face. I guess X-wings are fine with Veteran Wing Leader, and RZ-2's don't like being in a wing anyway because it limits their turret shenanigans (can't rotate in a wing). So not much lost.

I agree, structures will be very interesting. Curious to see where they take that concept.

19 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Bummer. Just finished watching, and you're right: they don't mention Resistance wings. Sad face. I guess X-wings are fine with Veteran Wing Leader, and RZ-2's don't like being in a wing anyway because it limits their turret shenanigans (can't rotate in a wing). So not much lost.

I agree, structures will be very interesting. Curious to see where they take that concept.

I think Resistance are probably OK with the default wing cards because they're OK with having all ships be the same. Republic need the special card because otherwise you're prohibited from doing the typical thematic list of a wing of Jedi + clones.