Any L5R Podcast recommendations for those new to the game/setting?

By Jinesh1, in Lore Discussion

Hello everyone,,

I tried to listen to a few L5R podcasts and I didn't last 5 min.... I have no idea who all these characters are from emperor edition etc that they were talking about. This game has been out for a very long time and it's easy to drown in the countless volumes of fluff https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/ https://wordtopdf.ltd/ .

Edited by Jinesh1

Character Creation Cast is doing one about creating characters for the new L5R, they discuss a little bit of the lore, story and history of the game as well. There's Garbage of the Five Rings, where they go way way back to the origins of the game and go discuss and make jokes about all the craziness and silliness of the game. There's also Asians Represent, they are kind of going through the game and discuss how that fits (or doesn't) with Asian culture in general. Challenge, Focus, Strike is a short cast that provides stories idea to the GM.

Court Games is pretty good in talking about the RPG and also has two actual play series.

Court Games RPG Podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/2035IyUZAqYQQxmD233gMS

This is focused on 5th Edition, and it follows the 5th edition fictions and has a bunch of discussions on specific bits and pieces of the RPG ruleset, running L5R games, and also discusses Japanese cultural references when they are brought into the story. It does talk about old lore, but primarily in context to new fictions, so pre-1122 Old Lore that looks to be consistent across both universes. Each episode is generally between 35-45 minutes. It has interviews with the storyline writers and game designers for L5R as well.

Court Games Actual Play - Fortune and Strife: https://open.spotify.com/show/1Is9EQwJ6838bIPz2a2Rct

This is an Actual Play series for L5R 5th Edition. It has good drama, I think, but it's also intended as a teaching RPG so we leave in a fair bit of the dice rolling and mechanics rather than cut it all out. Each episode is generally 1 hour, though the most recent one is 1 1/2 hours.

Court Games Actual Play - Crimson Gold Agonies: https://open.spotify.com/show/5LyBwPzyjXUo9DwhOEKhvt

This is also an Actual Play series for L5R 5th Edition, but it has a different focus than Fortune and Strife. They remove most of the mechanics and focus on emergent game play, where the GM and Players (and the community) all contribute to the setting/story rather than the more traditional mechanics, similar to Powered by the Apocalypse. Primarily it's a different kind of storytelling that other kinds of groups may prefer.

Dead Unicorn Games is working on a teaching set of Youtube videos (I attached the first one below) and has some decent content.

I hope this helps!

Edited by KakitaKaori

I highly recommend all of the Court Games podcasts as well as Splinters of Jade, which is an actual play podcast.

A little off topic, but something to keep in mind. This is NOT meant to be political, but I am trying to look out for fellow RPG fans.

For those who use Patreon to support and finance these podcasts and video spots, you might want to stop sending money through that third party venue. It looks like they are about to be slammed by arbitration. And since the money they collect is in a general pool before being distributed out, your favorite channel may never see a dime that you send. Many other RPG podcasts might end up as collateral damage as a result of the fallout of the court ruling. "Not Another D&D podcast" in particular is one of the most vulnerable that is in the line of fire.

Hopefully the podcasts you folks have listed are not entirely dependent on Patreon and have other means to sustain themselves. Let us hope this storm passes without too much damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px46aTSuX2g

Given that literally the only sources I can find about this are untrustworthy extreme-right conspiracy bloggers, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

They keep crowing about their victories in the "culture war" all the time and yet they never seem to actually achieve anything, thankfully.

6 hours ago, Myrion said:

Given that literally the only sources I can find about this are untrustworthy extreme-right conspiracy bloggers, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

They keep crowing about their victories in the "culture war" all the time and yet they never seem to actually achieve anything, thankfully.

Famous last words. Proceed at your own caution and risk.

Oh, and Tim Pool is NOT right wing. He is center-left. His former employers include Vice News, and Fusion. He was on the ground at Occupy Wall Street.

Edited by neilcell

I don't know or care about his past, but right now, he's repeating the talking points of Cernovich, TheQuartering and a bunch of other fascist asshats. Whatever he used to be or do, he's running with a different crowd now.

If Patreon were actually in trouble, that would make the news, as it has before - the site is relevant enough to at least tech news.

10 hours ago, Myrion said:

I don't know or care about his past, but right now, he's repeating the talking points of Cernovich, TheQuartering and a bunch of other fascist asshats. Whatever he used to be or do, he's running with a different crowd now.

If Patreon were actually in trouble, that would make the news, as it has before - the site is relevant enough to at least tech news.

The media regularly ignores critical stories that don't fit their narrative. "If it bleeds, it leads" is what drives the new cycle, not whether people actually need to know. Ask yourself, why has there been absolutely zero reporting on the situation in Hong Kong? How about the Uyghurs? According to your standards, what is not reported does not exist.

Also, that you call people you disagree with "fascist asshats" shows you can't actually debate the merits. But alas, if you want to give away your money to a company that is on the verge of collapse, that is your business. I simply put out the caution that people should support their favorite podcasts by DIRECT CONTRIBUTIONS AND SUPPORT rather than via third party. That you chose to make this into a pissing match about politics is on you, not me. I did not hijack this into a political spat.

Im surprised no one has mentioned the Last Province Podcast. They go into Lore a lot. They also discuse subjects like Horror and how asian Horror is different than Western Horror. They have a REALLY good episode on Law and Order in Rokugan.

I mean, you can pretend all you want, but I stuck to factual statements about these bloggers. They are fascist asshats and not reliable news sources. That's what I'm calling out - you're spreading misinformation based on unreliable sources.

You can also pretend that "the media" isn't reporting on any of the topics you've mentioned - that doesn't make it true, however. All of them get reported by actual, reliable news sources.

And I've looked up what's actually happening. Patreon will have to deal with arbitration, which they tried to avoid. Big whoop, the claims are still baseless and arbitration will go in their favor. The fearmongering is based on the arbitration going maximally against Patreon in every case - which is not gonna happen. Big surprise, the fascist asshats were lying and fearmongering based on their biased worldview.

7 hours ago, Myrion said:

I mean, you can pretend all you want, but I stuck to factual statements about these bloggers. They are fascist asshats and not reliable news sources. That's what I'm calling out - you're spreading misinformation based on unreliable sources.

You can also pretend that "the media" isn't reporting on any of the topics you've mentioned - that doesn't make it true, however. All of them get reported by actual, reliable news sources.

And I've looked up what's actually happening. Patreon will have to deal with arbitration, which they tried to avoid. Big whoop, the claims are still baseless and arbitration will go in their favor. The fearmongering is based on the arbitration going maximally against Patreon in every case - which is not gonna happen. Big surprise, the fascist asshats were lying and fearmongering based on their biased worldview.

I am sure the original poster is thrilled with your behavior.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/international/americas/1596377657-court-rules-against-patreon-fan-funding-service-in-key-case-over-cancelled-comedian

Here is a news article proving that yes patreon might have a problem. Now can we actially discuss podcasts with lore info.

9 hours ago, neilcell said:

The media regularly ignores critical stories that don't fit their narrative. "If it bleeds, it leads" is what drives the new cycle, not whether people actually need to know. Ask yourself, why has there been absolutely zero reporting on the situation in Hong Kong? How about the Uyghurs? According to your standards, what is not reported does not exist.

Also, that you call people you disagree with "fascist asshats" shows you can't actually debate the merits. But alas, if you want to give away your money to a company that is on the verge of collapse, that is your business. I simply put out the caution that people should support their favorite podcasts by DIRECT CONTRIBUTIONS AND SUPPORT rather than via third party. That you chose to make this into a pissing match about politics is on you, not me. I did not hijack this into a political spat.

Hey, if we are all going to throw our 2 zeni on this discussion I might as well do the same. So here is the thing, first of all, the people of a nation and the government of a nation are not necessarily the same thing, okay? That being said, the chinese government is sure responsible for a lot of atrocities, but guess what? Randomly select any other country on a globe and you will find skeletons (figuratively and literally) in their closets (Canada, USA, United Kingdom, even Iceland). The other thing about news, is in the original meaning of the word new . There's nothing new to report, the people in Hong Kong are not having their civil rights respected, the same thing for the Uighur people. If there's no news about this every single day is because pretty much there's nothing new to report about their situation. You don't see on international news that young black/mixed race men in Brazil are dying in troves being caught in the crossfire between the police and drug cartels, either because they are actually caught in the crossfire or because they are soldiers on one side or the other. They are still dying and you don't see any recent news on that because, well, nothing has changed. Is this extremely sad? You bet it is. Is it the responsibility of the media to keep reporting the status quo? I am not so sure about that, putting on the evening news that the Earth is still spinning and was not hit by an astray meteor does not make for interesting news anyway.

I apologize for my rant.

I listen to The Last Province and Court Games.

The Last Province tried to do a good overview of the background lore and clans early on. They also do non-competitive card talk for the card game, but you can always skip passed that if you are only interested in the RPG.

17 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

I am not so sure about that, putting on the evening news that the Earth is still spinning and was not hit by an astray meteor does not make for interesting news anyway.

Given 2020's track record to date, I'm not convinced it wouldn't be worth confirming every now and then.