Where are cards printed?

By Hal Smith, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I am wondering where FFG prints their cards and other components for living card games, including but not limited to L5R?

I ask as I suspect the answer may be China and I find this deeply problematic. Between the recent credible information emerging regarding the genocide being perpetrated against China's Uyghur population; China's reneging on its commitments to the provision of basic civil rights and liberties in Hong Kong and its crackdown on pro-democracy protesters there: China's longstanding violations of international law in relation to the South China Sea; and China's involvement in cyber attacks against numerous western countries, I find it very difficult to continue to support a company that is indirectly supporting the CCP by contributing to the Chinese economy on a large scale.

I am more than willing to spend slightly more on purchasing products that are printed in a country with a sounder human rights record than that of China. I hope no game components are being produced there, but if cards are indeed being printed in China, I hope other forum users will join me in voicing their discontent with that practice. I believe a strong collective message will demonstrate to FFG there is a market for products produced in a more ethical manner at a slightly higher cost.

Edited by Hal Smith

Edge of the Empire is definitely 'Made in China' as it states it on the Credits page... TBH I do think about this.. I don't know the actual % of goods made in China or Middle/Far East either but it is a large chunk of the consumer goods. M:TG used to printed in Belgium, don't know about now for example.

China achieved financially and societally in 30-40 years what Europe achieved in 200-300 after the Industrial Revolution! It's not just RPGs, it's across the entire consumable range - white goods, phones, books, PC and associated components. It is only offset by vehicle manufactures building factories in Europe - we have a Toyota factory just up the A38 outside Derby.

Part of my degree was a focus on Globalisation... most First World Countries have business interests in other First and Second World countries.. the second and third world countries rely on First World Countries for aid and goods to sell... for example, a certain UK confectioner used to buy raw cocoa at a knock down price and then sell that sweet, brown, yummy,melt in the mouth confectionary BACK TO THAT COUNTRY!!! Now they 'Ethically Source' stuff..my point being is we all contribute and are victims... buy buying stuff from abroad or the country we live in sells stuff (firearms for example) to second or third world countries.

TBH the C**** virus made me think.. do we stop buying Chinese made products, hitting China in the pocket. so they change their food prep laws and Human Rights record? I used to work at A*a*** and know the condtions for working there - I now shop a lot on Ebay instead paying a little bit extra just knowing that someone hasn't had to reach targets to deliver my spanking new rule/sourcebook. Does it damage A's profit marging? Not in the slighteste. Do I feel better for shopping somewhere else (usually a LFGS website)? Yes I do.

I don't think companies give a ****! Plastic... do I want my milk in plastic bottles? The manufactiurers didn't ask. They just shifted over to plastic. Did I want my Kit Kat in a plastic wrapper? I don't recall Nestle doing a poll. They jusy shoved it in plastic... lower production costs, higher profit margins.

I personally don't mind paying extra for Made in UK, Made i USA, Made in Germay... but those day IMO are long gone and they ain't coming back. I can afford to pay a little extra. Back in the early years of my marriage when money was tight my wife and I relished those CCG booster packs :D but RPing is an expensive a hobby, unless you just buy the core.

China wants to make itself a financial powerhouse and who can blame them? Why should the West have all the fun (and the money)?

I am not intending to offend anybody and if I apologise now.... Just thought I'd give you a reply ;)

I'd defo pay more for stuff not made in China.. :)

Edited by ExpandingUniverse