Chewie’s Alternate Wording?

By JBFancourt, in X-Wing Rules Questions

So, I noticed an oddity. There’s different wording on my pilot card and squad builder, but I don’t see an errata for Chewie in the RR. Anyone know why?

latest?cb=20181213150322

YASB and LaunchBay Next:

After a friendly ship at range 0-3 is destroyed, before that ship is removed , you may perform an action. Then you may perform a bonus attack.”

Where is this wording coming from?

Nevermind, note from YASB

Note: The phrase "before that ship is removed" is not printed on the card, but within the official squad builder.”

Edited by JBFancourt

Also, does this change the timing at all?

And, if a friendly flees the battlefield does it still proc???

I’m almost positive a fleeing ship will not trigger his ability.

As for the extra wording on yasb and launchbay, I’m not sure where it came from but I’m assuming it is to ensure that his ability can trigger from himself being destroyed.

🍻

There is separate wording to confirm that fleeing cannot trigger abilities except for ones specifically triggered by fleeing.

19 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Where is this wording coming from?

Nevermind, note from YASB

Note: The phrase "before that ship is removed" is not printed on the card, but within the official squad builder.”

I just checked and that note is correct that the wording is in the Official Squad Builder, but as the original post pointed out it is not addressed in the errata section of the Rules Reference (as of v1.1.0)

Also, does this change the timing at all?

In the current version (and all past versions so far) of the rules it actually does not make a difference because of this line on page 9:

"• If an effect triggers after a ship is destroyed, the effect resolves immediately, before the ship is removed ."

Note that the clarification section has waffled between resolving 'after destroyed' triggers before the next ship of same initiative engages or after all ships of the same initiative. The current wording from v1.1.0 p.30 FAQ section Engagement Phase and Attacking says the 'after destroyed' trigger is resolved during the Aftermath step of combat so Chewie will get the extra action and bonus attack before the next ship engages.

And, if a friendly flees the battlefield does it still proc???

Nope, the rules make a clear distinction on page 11 that flees is not equivalent to any other types of removal:

"• Before a fleeing ship is removed from the game, the only effects it resolves before being removed from the game are effects that trigger when it flees ."

Edited by nitrobenz
proofread