Motti Double VSD2

By Mj10982, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

I had an idea for using two similar VSD2 with disposable capacitators and gunnery teams.  They'd cover each other's inner flank while the Raider 1s would cover the outer flank including ramming a ship trying to get around and provide anti-squadron protection if necessary.  I'd keep each ship about distance three apart and maybe deploy to one edge.  I'd try to keep the VSD's at speed one and nav dial constantly and have the raiders follow in formation along and break off if need be to stop a bomber group.

Motti Victory

Author: mj10982

Faction: Empire

Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault Objective: Blockade Run

Defense Objective: Planetary Ion Cannon

Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[flagship] Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85)

- Admiral Motti (24)

- Seventh Fleet Star Destroyer (5)

- Electronic Countermeasures (7)

- Heavy Ion Emplacements (9)

- Disposable Capacitors (3)

- Minister Tua (2)

- Linked Turbolaser Towers (7)

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 149 points

Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85)

- Seventh Fleet Star Destroyer (5)

- Ion Cannon Batteries (5)

- Captain Brunson (5)

- Linked Turbolaser Towers (7)

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 117 points

Raider I-Class Corvette (44)

- Corvus (2)

- Quad Laser Turrets (5)

- Agent Kallus (3)

- External Racks (3)

- Ordnance Experts (4)

= 61 points

- Instigator (4)

- Quad Laser Turrets (5)

- Iden Versio (6)

- External Racks (3)

- Ordnance Experts (4)

= 66 points

= 0 points

I like the VSDs but they are a little on the expensive side. A pair of Cymoons with GTs would be 4 points cheaper - less long range firepower but more speed and survivability.

If you keep the VSDs put officer Vader somewhere so the VSDs can get a reroll if things go badly or fish for a HIE crit. Tua can be choked with no cost and Brunson could go if you feel safe, are about to die anyway or really need more damage to claim a kill. OL Pulse could be good as it doesn't exhaust and can be used on both GT shots then your flagship fires next and in effect has intel officer for free (twice).

2 Raiders alone I don't think will trouble a heavy Squadron force. By the time you get a B-Wing or TIE bomber down to zero hull you will have lost several ships and the raiders (with no redirect) can be killed before they do their job. If you had a 50 point fighter force then the raiders would be great at tipping the Squad fight sooner but I think you just have to kill ships quickly and VSDs are slow (but long range). You could ignore the fighters and go for two TRC Arquitens for even more long range fire or think about a VSD-I Harrow, E-Rax, QBT, OE, ETs and a coms net Flotilla.

Blockade run isn't great for VSDs, Surprise attack, Station assault or (if you have a flotilla) Most Wanted are good.

Agree with Mad Cat on the raiders as anti-squad devices. They aren't enough and you need at the very least a pair of TIE fighters per raider to pin the enemy fighter wing in place.

Also agree on Blockade Run. You'll never get to the end zone by turn 6 so your opponent will pick that, knowing that it'll cost you points.

I picked blockade run in order to narrow the battlefield but I guess it would be better for me to pick as first player if my opponent. I wasn't sure how the Raiders would fare, but my plan was to have a Versio led Instigator fly into the middle of a squadron ball and shrug off any hit crit black dies with evades while countering and firing back. No redirects needed since I'd try to get them to surround me so all shields get used. Agent Kallus would be in the other raider to fight them off as well. I wouldn't expect Versio to die but just really screw up the bomber's plans. I guess the other option is to just blow the **** out of the carriers. Maybe "rush" them at speed two.

I'm trying out this fleet because my goal is to have the two VSDs move at speed one with the raiders in formation with them to cover a larger area of the table. I figure at speed one, I can nav dial constantly to make tight turns at a slow speed. Basically keep the opposing fleet in my front hull zone by any means necessary including ramming. The Harrow is great and I'm building fleets for it, but I want both the VSDs to be moving together. Preferably the Raiders too, but they're also to break off if needed. I also came up with a fleet with a couple TIEs and the raiders carrying RHDs. Only a 5 point bid though.

Motti Victory

Author: mj10982

Faction: Empire

Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault Objective: Surprise Attack

Defense Objective: Fleet Ambush

Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[flagship] Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85)

- Admiral Motti (24)

- Electronic Countermeasures (7)

- Leading Shots (4)

- Minister Tua (2)

- Spinal Armament (9)

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 141 points

Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85)

- Ion Cannon Batteries (5)

- Captain Brunson (5)

- Quad Battery Turrets (5)

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 110 points

- Reserve Hangar Deck (3)

- External Racks (3)

- Ordnance Experts (4)

= 54 points

- Corvus (2)

- Reserve Hangar Deck (3)

- External Racks (3)

- Ordnance Experts (4)

= 56 points

3 TIE Interceptor Squadron (11)

= 33 points

Edited by Mj10982

Seventh Fleet Star Destroyer probably won't do a lot if you only have two. If you had three Victories it might be worth it. I'd prefer adding Harrow and Engine Techs to the Vic with QBT, because then you can be very comfortable at speed 1.

Fleet Ambush is bad because your opponent can put his/her ISD/MC75/Starhawk/Quasar in front of your ships, kill one or two in the first activation of the game, and run away.

Edited by Bertie Wooster

What is the purpose of 88 points of Raiders and the TIEs? Not strong enough, but too expensive for anti squadron force, and ExRax alone doesn't justify their existence in my opinion.

Raiders also guard the flanks against smaller faster ships depending on the fleet. If I'm fighting a 6-7 activation fleet, they are to prevent ships from getting around the Vics' front arcs. I had in my a fleet which would move in formation. Two VSD2s have a pretty formidable long range arc apiece, especially with GTs and DCaps. I could get 4 attacks of 6 dice each at long range. I would try to move the Victories in unison as much as possible, but slowly.