Butterbur Biscuits Question

By Howez92, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Butterbur Biscuits reads " At the start of the rally phase, you may deplete this item for a hero in your space to become determined and discard up to 2 (damage icon) and (fear icon).

Is this:

1. 2 fear and 2 damage
  2. 2 damage and 1 fear
  3. choice of 2 damage or 2 fear or 1 damage and 1 fear?

Additionally can you trigger the same item twice in the same rally phase as long as you have 2 depletion tokens?

19 hours ago, Howez92 said:

Butterbur Biscuits reads " At the start of the rally phase, you may deplete this item for a hero in your space to become determined and discard up to 2 (damage icon) and (fear icon).

Is this:

1. 2 fear and 2 damage
  2. 2 damage and 1 fear
  3. choice of 2 damage or 2 fear or 1 damage and 1 fear?

Additionally can you trigger the same item twice in the same rally phase as long as you have 2 depletion tokens?

[EDIT: I was wrong, keep scrolling :P ]

#3. You discard up to two cards and they can be any combination of damage or fear.

I’m not looking at the rulebook at the moment, but most FFG games I’ve played have a once-per-opportunity rule. Between that and the way most abilities (and trinkets) are worded, I’m pretty sure you only get to use the biscuits once per rally phase.

Edited by SpiderMana
2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

#3. You discard up to two cards and they can be any combination of damage or fear.

I’m not looking at the rulebook at the moment, but most FFG games I’ve played have a once-per-opportunity rule. Between that and the way most abilities (and trinkets) are worded, I’m pretty sure you only get to use the biscuits once per rally phase.

I would agree, #3 is the correct interpretation. Additionally, I don't see why you couldn't use it more than once in the same turn as long as you still met the "At the start of the rally phase" condition which I believe would end once you reset your deck.

It actually is #1, so you would discard 4 tokens.

It is the same as Elena's Lay on Twilight.

The main difference is either "or" (one of the other) and "and" (both) wording.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31896849#31896849

Grace (a developer) confirms the wording in this post.

20 minutes ago, Lord Citrus said:

Holy crap those items are *way* more powerful than I thought.

I'm not finding a once-per-opportunity clause in the Rules Reference, either, but I'll submit it to find out for sure.

50 minutes ago, Lord Citrus said:

Thanks for the clarification and link! Everything is very clear now.

Got a response from Grace already:

Yes, as long as you can pay the cost of an ability and are still within the relevant timing window, you are allowed to resolve that ability as many times as you want. Costs are defined in the Rules Reference, page 6, section 1.4 and timing is clarified in section 1.10. Specifically in the case of Butterbur Biscuits, as long as you are still in the start of the rally phase (no other rally phase effects have happened) and have a depletion token on that trinket, you can resolve its ability. I've gotten this question (or similar ones) a couple of times now, so I will consider adding it to the next update of the FAQ.

I've had some assumptions about this game that make it a lot harder, turns out :P

On 7/20/2020 at 1:04 PM, SpiderMana said:

I've had some assumptions about this game that make it a lot harder, turns out :P

Me too. The game philosophy for JiME is so different from the LotR LCG (which I've played for years) -- in the LCG, you're pretty safe to assume that the proper interpretation is always the one that's worst for the players (with very rare exceptions), whereas JiME seems to be quite generous to the players.

Generous, generous...

You have to deplete and there is only 3 token upon the item 🙂

3 minutes ago, Narsir said:

Generous, generous...

You have to deplete and there is only 3 token upon the item 🙂

But there's at least one Smith card that can replenish deplete tokens on items. If you're pretty consistently attacking stuff (and thus likely taking some counter-attacks when you can't one-shot everything) it's just as good as inspiration.

8 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

But there's at least one Smith card that can replenish deplete tokens on items. If you're pretty consistently attacking stuff (and thus likely taking some counter-attacks when you can't one-shot everything) it's just as good as inspiration.

You're right.

I just wanted to talk about the generosity aspect in relation to LotR LCG.