Can a Response like LeFrodo's be used twice in a phase?

By bdavis969, in Rules questions & answers

Sorry if this has been discussed before...

Can the following happen:

1) Commit LeFrodo to the quest. Use his Response (paying 1 resource) to ready another character

2) Use Elevenses on LeFrodo to Ready him and remove him from the quest.

3) Use Hobbit Pony/Late Adventurer on LeFrodo to commit him to the quest. Shouldn't that trigger the ability to use his response again? Pay one resource to ready another character.

Paying 3 resources to ready 2 characters?

There does seem to be cheaper options, but not by much.

There is no explicit limitation in LeFrodo's ability I don't see any problem with your combo. It's a 3-card 2-resources combo that enables you to ready 2 unique characters, it seems fair. Note though that the second of the 2 unique characters you will ready will do so after the staging step, so they migh incur in any associated negative effect.

Edited by Alonewolf87

The first character would be readied after the initial commitment, it's only the second character who is readied in the post-staging commitment.

If the quest is sucessful, I assume threat is lowered one for each response.

2 hours ago, Alonewolf87 said:

so they migh incur in any associated negative effect.

What negative effects could there be?

I guess I am going from the simple point of view of having LeFrodo ready two other heroes, or two unique allies, or a hero and an unique ally for the combat phase.

I guess that also opens the question about Rosie (and other allies and heroes that have actions/responses). Could you ready Rosie with Frodo (because she is committed to the quest), exhaust her to use her Action ability to add her willpower to a hobbit hero, and ready her again with Frodo (because she was committed to the quest) and now have her ready for the combat phase? Characters are considered committed to the quest for the entire phase unless there is some card effect that states otherwise. I know there are cheaper options like Fast Hitch to put on Rosie, but in a scenario where Frodo has some resources to burn and there isn't a Fast Hitch on Rosie, would that be a way to have her quest, use her Action ability, and then also have her ready for the combat phase (so you can use her Action ability again)?

1 hour ago, dalestephenson said:

If the quest is sucessful, I assume threat is lowered one for each response.

I was wondering about that. That one seems a little sticky because the text reads "If you quest successfully, reduce your threat by 1." Wasn't sure if you got to double down on that part or not.

Edited by bdavis969
4 hours ago, bdavis969 said:

I was wondering about that. That one seems a little sticky because the text reads "If you quest successfully, reduce your threat by 1." Wasn't sure if you got to double down on that part or not.

I believe the general consensus is that you do indeed reduce your threat by 2.

A somewhat analogous situation would be playing two copies of Expecting Mischief in a round. ("Play during the quest phase, before the staging step. Action : Deal 2 damage to the first enemy revealed from the encounter deck this phase.") I don't think anyone would just deal 2 damage to that first enemy revealed. Similarly, Frodo's ability triggered twice creates two instances of this delayed effect of (conditionally) reducing your threat by 1, so you should be able to resolve them both—I see no reason that it would matter that the two instances happened to come from the same physical card instead of two cards (as in the Expecting Mischief situation).

Edited by sappidus
10 hours ago, bdavis969 said:

What negative effects could there be?

For example your second unique character (which you will ready after the staging step) will still be subject to encounter card effects that target exhausted characters. Nothing terrible, but still something to take into account.

10 hours ago, bdavis969 said:

I guess that also opens the question about Rosie (and other allies and heroes that have actions/responses). Could you ready Rosie with Frodo (because she is committed to the quest), exhaust her to use her Action ability to add her willpower to a hobbit hero, and ready her again with Frodo (because she was committed to the quest) and now have her ready for the combat phase? Characters are considered committed to the quest for the entire phase unless there is some card effect that states otherwise. I know there are cheaper options like Fast Hitch to put on Rosie, but in a scenario where Frodo has some resources to burn and there isn't a Fast Hitch on Rosie, would that be a way to have her quest, use her Action ability, and then also have her ready for the combat phase (so you can use her Action ability again)?

Indeed you can.

Edited by Alonewolf87
On 7/20/2020 at 12:38 AM, bdavis969 said:

What negative effects could there be

The Sleeping Sentry treachery comes to mind to affect second character (1 damage) and to exhaust the first character targeted by LeFrodo's Response and there goes at least 1 resource for nothing...