I am your father ... the reflections of a little brother who became a father who became a GM

By L0WL16HT, in Game Masters

I started playing Edge of the Empire with my sons using the beginner game. I GM'd and they used the pre-gen characters and we got the basics under our belts. I had a copy of the core rulebook and they made their own characters. We have been playing for approximately 2 years with the same characters. We started the beginning adventure over with the characters they created.

My kids were 6 and 9 when we started.

My oldest created a human Smuggler/Scoundrel named - Cassiel

My youngest:

A human Explorer/Scout named - Wenjah.

They both took the Force Sensitive Exile universal specialization at creation.

I made an NPC to be a part of their crew.

A Bothan Technician/Slicer named Naarbelos.

We played through the beginner game and through The Long Arm of the Hutt together. In the aftermath, Mathus & 41-VEX opened a workshop near Teemo's palace, Lowhrick was freed from the gladiator pens by our heroes. Oskara and Pash didn't play much of a role, but frequent the Mos Shuuta Cantina. A fter the Death of Teemo the Hutt ( crushed by the chandelier above his dais when it was blasted off the ceiling by our crew) Mu Namb and Sasha approach the crew of the Krayt Fang, asking if they could transport a charter for a generous fare. (I bridged the Age of Rebellion beginner game here) the passengers were Arkhan and Jin-Rio from the beginner game.(at this point, I started using all pre-gen characters as NPC's)

They asked for transport to a nearby system and then asked the crew if they would pick up more passengers. They disclose that they are with the Rebels and need to be transported to Onderon discreetly. The crew agrees and Operation Shadowpoint begins. In an effort to sway the villagers to support the efforts of the Rebel band, they agree to travel to Dxun for the ritual hunt and discover an ancient temple. They fight jungle creatures off before proceeding to the temple to find ancient looking statues holding out extended hands and what appears to be an incomplete Holocron (missing corners). They also find an altar with recesses in them: one square, one spherical and one pyramidal. After returning to the tribal village successfully earning the loyalty of the tribe, the chief performs a ceremonial dance to welcome the crew to the tribe. The chief also offers a corner piece of the incomplete Holocron found on Dxun. Whisper base is successfully taken over by the Rebels, Gaev Fenro is Rescued and shortly after monitoring the relay, receives a message from an operative that calls themself, "Fulcrum." The Empire is defeated after a desperate mission to infiltrate the orbiting star destroyer using the shuttle Nilos succeeds (the Tie Bomber waiting in the hangar is sabotaged and the bomb intended to wipe out whisper base destroys the star destroyer in orbit of Onderon).