Sentient Force Creature Ideas

By Fl1nt, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Hello :)

I'm currently looking for some sort of sentient force-sensitive creature that can act as some kind of neutral or light-sided mentor encounter for one of my players's character that has been slipping into a fairly dark place but expressed that he want's a chance for the character to break his slipping and find his way back to "neutral".

I had the Idea of an encounter with an (probably ancient) sentient creature of some kind that has a very different view of the Force that can offer some advice and truths about the light & dark.

Note: The player character is a seyugi, so fairly grey and viewing the Force as a tool.

Has anyone done something like this before or has any ideas what could fit ?

Thanks for any Ideas or insights ;)

So the first major thing that comes to mind is the Bendu; an ancient, force-sensitive, sentient creature that refers to itself as The One in The Middle . It's an odd character and speaks quite cryptically, refusing to get directly involved in anything.

If that doesn't suit your purposes then you can make your own of course, and I have some recommendations for creating your own plot-relevant creatures.

1. Determine it's animal habits before it's sentient personality.
    • Sleeping/waking habits
    • Food source
    • Rarity
    • Habitat
    • Natural predators?
  2. Does anyone know about it in the local area?
    • Is it worshiped
    • Is it feared
    • Is it known to be sentient
    • Is it a local myth
    • Is it hunted
  3. Establish a reason for it to form a relationship with the player character (because things like this are rare)
    • Trust
    • Necessity
    • Common goal
    • Common ally
    • Common enemy
  4. Give the creature it's own personal goal/motivation which can either align with or differ from the player's.

Hope that helps in some way.

Edited by SufficientlyAdvancedMoronics

Hey, thanks for the input.

The Bendu has put me off somehow, I have not seen Rebels (couldn't stand the first few episodes, so I abandoned it).
I always knew Bendu as the Neutral aspect of how to Ancient Jed'aii viewed the Force, part of the Trinity of the Force (Ashla = Light, Bogan = Dark and Bendu = Balance), so I'm a little bit confused about it being an Entity now.
Although from what I could read up on wookieepedia they took alot of the stuff I knew to create that character.

My Idea was that my group would happen upon said creauture / entity while trying to get their hands on some kybercrystals or other form of force-infused material (for character-plot stuff).
The possible locations for this would most likely be Ilum and Tython, both have probably been at least in the past ravaged by the empire (Ilum has been strip-mined) but maybe somewhere beneath the Jedi-Temple Ruins they would find some sort of ancient creature.
Current Ideas would be some sort of Large version of these Crystal/Ice Foxes we saw in the infamous sequels or a lizard / dragon-esque creautre.

Maybe this Bendu Entity is a nice idea, although I'd probably create another appearance, more animalistic / creauture.
But the Idea is good, it seems to be a somewhat timeless entity that just exists?

Apart from that, I really like your bullet-points, I'll definitely use those to flesh out my creation ;)

Edited by Fl1nt
12 minutes ago, Fl1nt said:

I'm a little bit confused about it being an Entity now

There are a few things introduced around that time which I also personally don't like, so I get what you mean.

14 minutes ago, Fl1nt said:

The possible locations for this would most likely be Ilum and Tython, both have probably been at least in the past ravaged by the empire

Tython; not so much. What I know of it is that it's extremely hard to reach from the rest of the galaxy because of it's location in the galactic core, and the hyperspace lanes frequently collapse or become invalid for other reasons. The perils of trying to get there mean that it was relatively untouched for the longest time, and the remote civilizations that remain on those deep-core systems know nothing about the wider galaxy. It would make sense that the sheer expense of trying to get a large scale mining operation there would be futile, let alone getting mined materials out again. Tython's a good bet, and it could be interesting to have a creature that literally aligns itself with the moon of Asha. Dawn of the Jedi gave the impression that such things may exist, so it's a good place to start.

17 minutes ago, SufficientlyAdvancedMoronics said:

There are a few things introduced around that time which I also personally don't like, so I get what you mean.

Tython; not so much. What I know of it is that it's extremely hard to reach from the rest of the galaxy because of it's location in the galactic core, and the hyperspace lanes frequently collapse or become invalid for other reasons. The perils of trying to get there mean that it was relatively untouched for the longest time, and the remote civilizations that remain on those deep-core systems know nothing about the wider galaxy. It would make sense that the sheer expense of trying to get a large scale mining operation there would be futile, let alone getting mined materials out again. Tython's a good bet, and it could be interesting to have a creature that literally aligns itself with the moon of Asha. Dawn of the Jedi gave the impression that such things may exist, so it's a good place to start.

That sounds like a wonderful Idea.

I think I'm pretty much set on having this encounter on Tython.
The Archaeologist of the group has found some recordings of that planet, but they dont know where it is yet.

Maybe they'll find some clues where ever they'll try to get those force-infused materials =D

Loth-wolves (Allies and Adversaries p. 124) are found on Lothal and have a definite Force connection. There's no picture of them in that sourcebook, so you'll have to look elsewhere for that. The planet itself is described in the Dawn of Rebellion era sourcebook.

You could introduce a pack of Loth-wolves, or a single older/larger version of one.

There's nothing preventing Loth-wolves from being found elsewhere. (Maybe they're not really native to Lothal.) Maybe a more powerfully Force-attuned version can even use its Travel ability to travel literally between planets.

Edited by Bellona

Neti are naturally Force-sensitive, and since they are basically trees, might not have the need to join the Sith or Jedi. The can change shapes, but if you just keep it as a tree the players will likely never know what it is.

(pic from D20 Revised Ultimate Alien Anthology - all the pics I found on Google were from a shape-shifted form)

neti.png

Uh Neti sound really interesting as well, so do Loth Wolves.

4 hours ago, Bellona said:

Loth-wolves (Allies and Adversaries p. 124) are found on Lothal and have a definite Force connection. There's no picture of them in that sourcebook, so you'll have to look elsewhere for that.

Loth-wolf | Wookieepedia | Fandom

Remembered a Star Wars game I tried to run a while back on a play-by-post site. The players didn't stick around long enough to discover the Force tradition (PbP forums tend to be like that, sadly), but I still fleshed it out a bit. The tradition were basically Force druids (like the ones in D&D, but with only Force powers and feats that others could also access from the D20 Revised books). They would have the one ability to affect weather and like Force adepts they could communicate with sentient beings (through the Force). The only thing I was going to use as a house-rule was that these Force users could morph into something like werewolves if they became evil and turned to the Dark Side.

Bringing all of that up, because whatever Force tradition or unique Force user you think to use, they could comment on the Force in such a way that even though the PC thinks of the Force only as a tool they can learn the lesson about tools need to still be handled with care or they can damage you.