Force Power Sense

By CloudyLemonade92, in Game Masters

Hey all,

Looking for some clarification. Perhaps I'm missing something from the book or my search results haven't been thorough enough but I cant find an answer to my question.

So, does Force Sense require an Opposed Check if using it to sense the emotional state or sense the thoughts of another individual. It doesnt call for a check other than the Force Power Check.

Would you make this an Opposed check vs some more strong willed individuals, and if so I'm assuming a Discipline check.

If not, are you supposed to just be able to use it on anybody, even an inquisitor?

In the Force Awaken we see Kylo Ren attempt to pull information from both Poe and Ray's mind on separate occasions. Would this be a similar power or something different. Is it automatic or does the subject have any chance to resist?

Edited by CloudyLemonade92

I’m pretty sure it can be an opposed check, at the GM’s discretion (same with any force power), RAW.

3 hours ago, CloudyLemonade92 said:

So, does Force Sense require an Opposed Check if using it to sense the emotional state or sense the thoughts of another individual. It doesnt call for a check other than the Force Power Check.

For mooks I wouldn't, but definitely would for anybody important. Discipline is the goto skill check.

Since you only need one pip to trigger the ability, I would allow extra pips to be spent on Success or Advantage, but I'd allow the same for Force Sensitive resisters.

1 hour ago, whafrog said:

For mooks I wouldn't, but definitely would for anybody important. Discipline is the goto skill check.

Since you only need one pip to trigger the ability, I would allow extra pips to be spent on Success or Advantage, but I'd allow the same for Force Sensitive resisters.

4 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

I’m pretty sure it can be an opposed check, at the GM’s discretion (same with any force power), RAW.

Awesome, thanks

Strict RAW, no skill check is required when using Sense to detect emotions or thoughts, just a Force power check.

That said, as per the sidebar on resisting Force powers, the GM can choose to allow important NPCs (generally Nemesis-tier and named Rivals) to resist Force powers, at which point an opposed check is required, with the default suggestion being Discipline vs. Discipline, though the GM and player can suggest alternate skills based upon the power in question and circumstances. The only caveat is that you can't employ this particular optional rule if the Force power already requires an opposed check or has a pre-set difficulty (such as using Protect/Unleash or hurling an object at a target via Move).