Questions about the scope of the game

By sn0wball, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I intend to introduce my kids (9, 10) to roleplaying. Since they are STAR WARS fans and to get most out of my Imperial Assault collection, a Star Wars roleplaying game would be ideal. To get them reading the rules themselves, I need German language books. I have none, been playing with English books for decades. I am an experienced roleplayer and have been playing WEG Star Wars in the early 90ies.

Naturally, I was looking for the modern FFG games and liked what I saw at first glance. But then I realised that the German edition has been discontinued recently. The only book I could get my hands on, is the German edition of FORCE AND DESTINY (MACHT UND SCHICKSAL). Also, the dice seem to be unavailable on the German market just now - I could get them only in the AGE OF REBELLION Beginners Box.

So, I ask myself, if I buy those two, do I get a complete game ? As it looks, I will never, ever be able to buy additional content (until my kids know enough English, that is).

With FORCE AND DESTINY, can I run only Jedi games, or are the rules versatile enough to support other types of games, too - as in, say, Rebels (the TV series).

22 hours ago, sn0wball said:

I intend to introduce my kids (9, 10) to roleplaying. Since they are STAR WARS fans and to get most out of my Imperial Assault collection, a Star Wars roleplaying game would be ideal. To get them reading the rules themselves, I need German language books. I have none, been playing with English books for decades. I am an experienced roleplayer and have been playing WEG Star Wars in the early 90ies.

Naturally, I was looking for the modern FFG games and liked what I saw at first glance. But then I realised that the German edition has been discontinued recently. The only book I could get my hands on, is the German edition of FORCE AND DESTINY (MACHT UND SCHICKSAL). Also, the dice seem to be unavailable on the German market just now - I could get them only in the AGE OF REBELLION Beginners Box.

So, I ask myself, if I buy those two, do I get a complete game ? As it looks, I will never, ever be able to buy additional content (until my kids know enough English, that is).

With FORCE AND DESTINY, can I run only Jedi games, or are the rules versatile enough to support other types of games, too - as in, say, Rebels (the TV series).

With Force and Destiny, it is very Force-user focused. Age of Rebellion has a military focus, and Edge of the Empire is the most versatile of the three lines.

However, Force-user focused doesn't mean "Jedi focused." In the time of FaD, the fire of the Jedi has gone out of the galaxy. You can still play Jedi, but that isn't the focus. It's on emergent Force-users, not unlike Ezra Bridger in some ways, although that comparison has its limitations since Ezra ended up getting training from a former Jedi.

You can play something like Rebels, but all of the characters would be Force-users to one extent or another.

With the dice and a core, you have a complete game. The extra books add specializations, extra rules, advice, etc. but nothing essential. To a certain extent, the GM is the one who will be dealing with the supplementary books the most. If your kids can read the core, you could still have some English supplements that you read and glean information from. Then you could translate any talent trees into German for their use.

There may be some hope that the books will come back on the German market before too long, as the RPG was transferred to Edge Studios, and they're still trying to get their stuff in gear to get the books back out there. It's very difficult to find even the English books right now.

22 hours ago, sn0wball said:

So, Force & Destiny can provide your players with everything, as far as the rules go. And that's the biggest lift.

So with that base, there are many, excellent community-made supplements out there that could help you " fill in the blanks " with other gear and vehicles and non-Force User Careers and Specializations and things, and to basically be able to play the "whole" game...

Maybe manageable for you to translate individual trees and gear/vehicles on a case by case basis if your players express interest in one or more of the non-Force user Careers/Specs?

Of course you will lack full descriptions of some things, but the game is flexible enough to not suffer from that lack, and there is plenty of stuff out there to facilitate playing the whole game with just one currently rulebook.

It's a bit more work, but maybe doable? Probably worth the pay off, which is this excellent take on the Star Wars universe.

I couldn't find any Zeitalter der Rebellion on shopping sites, but got some hits for PDF sites. Might have to wait until the books are for sale.

EDIT: You could always just use the classes and rules, and never put points into Force skills. Two of three specializations in each career don't usually have many Force talents anyways.

Edited by SuperWookie