Who should Han, Chewie, and Wookiee Warriors bring with them?

By oreet, in Army Building

EDIT: I made a first pass at a full list. Looking for feedback.

So yesterday my friend and I had a great game. We played using only troops available from Rogue One. My Empire just barely pulled off the victory against those filthy rebels.

So next time we play, we're going for something completely different.

He wants to bring Han Solo, Chewbacca, and the Wookiee Warriors, and wants to build a list around these 3 units. This will only be our 4th game. All the models are mine, and I've been building both of our lists, trying to build good lists for both sides. My Imperial list will be built around Palpatine and a Royal Guard unit.

Any suggestions for who would work well with Han, Chewie, and a Wookiee Warriors squad?

Also, thoughts on the Command Cards and loadout below:

Han Solo (120 + 11 = 131)
--Commanding Presence (5), Offensive Push (4), Recon Intel (2)

Chewbacca (95 + 6 = 101)
--Hunter (6)

Fleet Troopers (44 + 38 = 82)
--MPL-57 Barrage Trooper (25), Fleet Trooper (11), Recon Intel (2)

Fleet Troopers (44 + 36 = 80)
--Scatter Gun Trooper (23), Fleet Trooper (11), Recon Intel (2)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 22 = 62)
--Z-6 Trooper (22)

Wookiee Warriors (75 + 35 = 110)
--Bowcaster Wookiee (35)

Rebel Commandos (Strike Team) (20 + 37 = 57)
--DH-447 Sniper (28), Offensive Push (4), Long-Range Comlink (5)

T-47 Airspeeder (140 + 20 = 160)
--Wedge Antilles (5), Ax-108 Ground Buzzer (10), Long-Range Comlink (5)

Commands:
Sorry About the Mess (1), Sabotaged Communications (1), Reckless Diversion (2), Turning the Tide (2), Notorious Scoundrels (3), Change of Plans (3), Standing Orders (4)

http://tabletopadmiral.com/legion/rebel/p0fu11u81u3ap19u26uEMuEMp0cu27u23u3auEMp0cu1fu23u3auEMp06u10uEMuEMuEMp18u33uEMuEMuEMuEMp0eu2fu81u02uEMuEMp0au1du1bu02c17c1ac0ec24c1cc16c08

Edited by oreet

What other options do we have? If I knew that someone was bringing the Emperor and Royal Guards, I'd either want to snipe them from afar (sniper commandos, Cassian and DLT-20 troops, FD cannons) or meet them in a duel with Force users (Luke and tauntauns smash up in the middle of the battle field)

The Emperor is super potent (as he should be) but especially when you can dictate the engagement (all of the Rebels appear to have short range weapons)

So I have at least 1 of every released Rebel and Imperial faction miniatures, so assume that if it's available, I can field at least one of them, some I can field multiples.

I'm also struggling with Emperor's list because he's pretty expensive, point-wise, but I'll work out something.

...and the lists we go with will help me set painting priorities. The goal is to eventually field 2 full armies fully painted, but for now a lot of my miniatures are just primed white.

For Imperials, I'll probably go hard on the Shoretroopers, I'm a big fan of those guys. Maybe a set of speederbikes, and if we settle on the Airspeeder, I need to focus on ways to take that thing down too.

4 hours ago, oreet said:

For Imperials, I'll probably go hard on the Shoretroopers, I'm a big fan of those guys. Maybe a set of speederbikes, and if we settle on the Airspeeder, I need to focus on ways to take that thing down too.

If you bring close to ANY Impact, you won't need to focus it at all. The Rebel faction is not built to field heavy units and the Airspeeder is exhibit A.

8 hours ago, oreet said:

EDIT: I made a first pass at a full list. Looking for feedback.

So yesterday my friend and I had a great game. We played using only troops available from Rogue One. My Empire just barely pulled off the victory against those filthy rebels.

So next time we play, we're going for something completely different.

He wants to bring Han Solo, Chewbacca, and the Wookiee Warriors, and wants to build a list around these 3 units. This will only be our 4th game. All the models are mine, and I've been building both of our lists, trying to build good lists for both sides. My Imperial list will be built around Palpatine and a Royal Guard unit.

Any suggestions for who would work well with Han, Chewie, and a Wookiee Warriors squad?

Also, thoughts on the Command Cards and loadout below:

Han Solo (120 + 11 = 131)
--Commanding Presence (5), Offensive Push (4), Recon Intel (2)

Chewbacca (95 + 6 = 101)
--Hunter (6)

Fleet Troopers (44 + 38 = 82)
--MPL-57 Barrage Trooper (25), Fleet Trooper (11), Recon Intel (2)

Fleet Troopers (44 + 36 = 80)
--Scatter Gun Trooper (23), Fleet Trooper (11), Recon Intel (2)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 22 = 62)
--Z-6 Trooper (22)

Wookiee Warriors (75 + 35 = 110)
--Bowcaster Wookiee (35)

Rebel Commandos (Strike Team) (20 + 37 = 57)
--DH-447 Sniper (28), Offensive Push (4), Long-Range Comlink (5)

T-47 Airspeeder (140 + 20 = 160)
--Wedge Antilles (5), Ax-108 Ground Buzzer (10), Long-Range Comlink (5)

Commands:
Sorry About the Mess (1), Sabotaged Communications (1), Reckless Diversion (2), Turning the Tide (2), Notorious Scoundrels (3), Change of Plans (3), Standing Orders (4)

http://tabletopadmiral.com/legion/rebel/p0fu11u81u3ap19u26uEMuEMp0cu27u23u3auEMp0cu1fu23u3auEMp06u10uEMuEMuEMp18u33uEMuEMuEMuEMp0eu2fu81u02uEMuEMp0au1du1bu02c17c1ac0ec24c1cc16c08

I would heavily caution against using Fleets as your corps backbone. Straight-up, you don't want to get out-ranged on your main fighting force with Rebels. They need to be able to advance into range and throw those nice 50/50 dice against your enemies before they can toss their own ATK dice. Honestly, if you can, always go with Rebel Troopers over Fleets (and Vets wherever possible). You'll get TONs more out of them before they start falling to enemy fire.

As I hinted before: the Airspeeder is a MASSIVE gamble. It's a lot of points for the most vulnerable heavy unit in the game (white+surge DEF dice+7HP=kiss of death) and with the lack of strong damage output even with the ground buzzer it's just overall not a strong choice. If you wanna go with armor, use the AT-RTs (two AT-RTs + a hardpoint each = T-47 + 5pts) and then you can also heal them with R2-D2 or the R5 personnel (which isn't doable with speeder units).

Chewbacca and the Wookiees LOVE Tenacity. If you wanna get the most out of them, you're gonna want them in the enemy's face just tearing arms off (as Wookiees are rumored to do ;) ).

Finally, when in doubt, don't worry about comms upgrades.

Let me know if you have any other questions! ^^

12 hours ago, Cruzer said:

and then you can also heal them with R2-D2 or the R5 personnel (which isn't doable with speeder units).

Just so it's clear for the OP, you can use Repair on Airspeeders, you're just not likely to have the opportunity to do so given how fast the speeder is compared to R2 or whatever unit has the R5.

5 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Just so it's clear for the OP, you can use Repair on Airspeeders, you're just not likely to have the opportunity to do so given how fast the speeder is compared to R2 or whatever unit has the R5.

Was not aware this was errataed. My bad.

I have had some success with the wookiees, but only if I took 2 units with some other threatening beatstick types (ie, tauntauns, Luke, at-rt flamers, etc) something that makes the opponent say "ooh, I gotta kill that XX" and then the wookiees charge into their line and smash them up.

Wookiees actually don't do super well in long combats though, they certainly don't want someone who hits back.

This was my fear for the list you posted. With Fleet troopers and Wookiees and a big bunch of points in the airspeeder, there's a good chance that you'll spend 2+ turns without firing a decent shot and get pasted at range 4 from your Imperial opponent. The rebels are already behind on activations meaning they'll have to have someone run out in the open at some point without being able to do much damage. That's been my problem with Han since he was released. Sharpshooter and Pierce is awesome, but he may not make it to turn 4 if he rolls bad, which means he only gets to shoot once or twice. It's not worth it for 130ish points.

Edited by buckero0
On 7/6/2020 at 6:59 PM, Cruzer said:

I would heavily caution against using Fleets as your corps backbone. Straight-up, you don't want to get out-ranged on your main fighting force with Rebels. They need to be able to advance into range and throw those nice 50/50 dice against your enemies before they can toss their own ATK dice. Honestly, if you can, always go with Rebel Troopers over Fleets (and Vets wherever possible). You'll get TONs more out of them before they start falling to enemy fire.

Fleets get a lot of hate but I think if you bring two and keep Chewie around to use Guardian and keep them fully staffed, they will end up having their opportunity to make an impact. Especially with a T-47 or some AT-RTs around to draw some of the firepower away from them.

In general your list is a little more upgrade-intensive than I usually run my rebels. As an example, offensive push on Han isn't often very helpful since he rolls two red dice and Chewie already has hunter to generate some aims for the both of them. Offensive Push and Long-Range Comlink on the snipers are nice to have but also probably not necessary if cutting them can squeeze in an extra activation. I think rebels struggle to compete with only 8 activations so I usually try to get at least 10. Slimming down a little bit will let you at least get another naked rebel corps unit and get up to 9.