Painting Gear question

By Wolf_58, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

What would be a good magnifying lamp or stand to get? I have my fighters to paint and don't know what would be good to buy. I want to use it to paint details not only for my fighters but also other modeling endeavors.

It would be the first specific investment for the painting/ modeling hobby for myself.

Thank you!

So, I have been painting for about two years now - got started doing my Armada squadrons. The only thing I bought was a magnifying glass on a bendable arm - was fairly cheap from Amazon. I am sure there are a million options. I use a hooded lamp (that I already had) to put light on my squads as I am working. I use plastic q-tips with a small slit cut into each to hold squads as I am working on them. And I took a small board and drilled holes in it to hold my q-tips with squads on them. That’s pretty much all I need.

Just last week I stepped my painting game up a bit and went to Ikea looking for lamps. I originally went for a $14.99 lamp but decided it was too small and couldn't raise high enough. I got a $24.99 Forsa model lamp. So far it is working great.

I have no problem with Amazon but lately I have been soured because of all the cheap electronics that fail within weeks of using them.

go to your local craft store, there are many reasonably priced options for magnifying lenses on articulated arms, some with ring lights included in the setup. I got mine at Joanne's and haven't had an issue yet.

1 hour ago, mearn4d10 said:

go to your local craft store, there are many reasonably priced options for magnifying lenses on articulated arms, some with ring lights included in the setup. I got mine at Joanne's and haven't had an issue yet.

OTTLITE is the most famous brand for these.

I used to own one that was surplus from a Doctor's Surgery.