Any news on a digital version of KeyForge? I worry this game now needs it

By Bryan Osborne, in KeyForge

I got into KeyForge recently and have been absolutely enjoying it. But I've been scared lately that this game may end up dying early due to the pandemic preventing meet-ups and tournaments, and the momentum this game had left potentially decreasing further and losing more players. I hope this game lasts for a long, long time. But I really do believe an official online game from FFG for KeyForge is what we need. We can't play with other players physically, so online is the best choice. An official counterpart that allows uploading of our decks to play, the separate tournament structure that could occur for online in addition to the physical Vault Tour and such, and more. So much potential. All updates I've seen for KeyForge, regardless the topic, the comments attached usually have several players asking for an online KeyForge; especially now when we're all stuck at home. I know the Crucible fan-made site exists, but I believe to really get the best out of the game and the offerings it can bring, we need an official one from FFG. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking as MTG Arena, but something that shows FFG shows their desire to continue this game as long as possible. Mass Mutation is releasing soon, and I hope it sells many decks, but I don't know how well it will do in current conditions.

Have there been any updates, any discussion, anything from FFG that shows they're at least aware that online KeyForge is something a lot of players hopes becomes a reality?

There's no way FFG isn't aware of the desire of players to have it; it comes up anytime there's any kind of Q&A with anyone on the KeyForge team. That said, since FFG has closed their Interactive Division. This isn't up to FFG, but up to Asmodee.

In March of this year, Asmodee (of which FFG is a "studio") announced that they had appointed a new Interactive Games Licensing Manager to handle the use of their IP in digital formats. This was shortly after they had announced (at the end of February) that they were opening up that licensing for 3rd party developer teams.

Thus far, there's been no firm announcement or indication that a digital version is in the works, Since the licensing deal just happened a few months ago, the likelihood of a digital version happening in the next year is probably pretty slim.

Which is a shame because I got into the LotR digital game they developed and really liked it. :(

Richard Garfield hinted (when Keyforge first came out) that they were working on it. I know coding takes time, but I'd have hoped that they'd have something to announce by now.

Maybe there will be an announcement at the live stream that was to be at gencon. Holding out hope!

Even before corona, the game store I played Keyforge at stopped hosting due to lack of participation.