“Happy” level of SotC?

By Alderaan Crumbs, in Secrets of the Crucible

Based purely on the art and very few snippets I’ve read, SotC seems to be a potentially light-hearted romp through a really whacky world. Is this impression incorrect? I realize it has dark elements and is serious, but given the glut of “grimdark” entertainment I’m interested in something with whimsy.

I would say it's very dependent on how you structure your adventure. Anything around Dis can get pretty dark quickly but generally speaking it's a very "whacky" world.

The book is written to also function as a toolbox for original science fantasy settings. Is as flexible in tone as you want it to be. From Keyforge lore it does include some elements to explore if a group does want something gritty. The Macis Swamp, Carniferous Forest, Data Whisperers, Kettle Bottom Mining Town, and (of course) the Dis Demons. However, none of these need to be the forcus of any campaign. If whimsy is the goal, then I will reflect that a romp through a wacky world is want this book would accel at. However, this does not mean the adventures will be without stakes and the action without consequences. You can still have peril without brooding edgelords.

Additionally, those who join (or are recruited) by Archons into Vaultbattles will have any injury (including death) remedied after the event. Vaultbattles don;t always have to be combat. Sometimes the aember needed must be something stolen from a nearby town while under this cloak of plot armor.

The option of such drastic tonal shifts is a reason it appeals to me so much. Thanks!

Have you played any Keyforge? The flavor text on the cards helps round out the feel of the game. Most of it is pretty cartoon-y, but some of it (notable the Dis, as mentioned above) has a very menacing tone. It kind of reminds me of a mix of Warner Bros. and Tim Burton.

I have not. CCGs aren’t my thing. I do, however, like the vibe of Keyforge so this book interests me.

I am not a ccg fan either, but the premise of keyforge hooked me. Each deck is mathematically balanced against every other deck, so you don't need to buy more than one to be able play with people and stand a chance of winning. Takes the pay-to-win part out of it. That said, I have bought two decks, because I honestly loved the art and the flavor text so much I wanted more. Plus its hard to play with somebody if they don't have a deck, so two comes in handy.

No! Don’t tempt me, you CCG-peddling demon! Be gone with your temptations! 😆

It does look like a cool game and even before it had an RPG book I really enjoyed the art.

I wouldn't really call the setting "wacky" at all. But I can see where you could get that idea from the art and what seems to be a mishmash, kitchen sink, setting. The thing I was most impressed by was that within the first couple dozen pages, that feeling was replaced with, "wow - there's a lot here I want to explore."

I think the hardest thing to really wrap your head around is the science fantasy nature of the setting. High tech is easy to invasion (lots of tv and movies to source), fantasy is obvious. When you mix the two, and then thrown martians, talking plants, and angels - well yeah, it's a lot to try and wrap your head around without thinking of it as "cartoony." But the cool thing about the setting is the they all have a real reason for being there (or at least have their own beliefs as to why they are there). And your campaign may or may not even address a fraction of what's possible.

In the end, if you wanted to run a wacky campaign in the setting you could, but the setting itself does not present that way by itself.

(Oh, and KeyForge is not a CCG. Buying a 2 player start set would be the same as buying any 2 player board game with cards. But it is a great game, and that could open you up to wanting to buy many more decks to explore, so yeah, there's still that...)

Thank you for the perspective. I certainly enjoy games that allow for a variety of themes and tones. One of my favorite RPGs is MCG’s Invisible Sun, which allows for several seemingly disparate aspects to exist cohesively. Add in sci-fan and I am elated!

Also, how does Keyforge differ from CCGs, being as I my CCG knowledge is “They exist”?

Well in keyforge there are no cards to collect. You buy whole procedurally generated decks that cannot be changed in any way.

1 hour ago, jackissocool said:

Well in keyforge there are no cards to collect. You buy whole procedurally generated decks that cannot be changed in any way.

To add to what Jack said,

No collecting. No deck building. Just open a two decks and play (which is why you can treat this more like a board game than a collectable game). In concept, you could open a deck that will let you win a high level tournament after only spending $10. In reality, most people love buying new decks, hunting for the perfect one, but outside of tournament play... you really can get by with just a few decks (3-5 per player tends to be a nice sweet spot) and be happy just playing the game.

And there is a pretty active secondary market at decks of keyforge, so even if you were hunting for a particular deck, you could just find it there for a few dollars instead of playing the lottery.

Ideally, we should then portray

On 6/23/2020 at 2:59 AM, lbwoodard said:

Have you played any Keyforge? The flavor text on the cards helps round out the feel of the game. Most of it is pretty cartoon-y, but some of it (notable the Dis, as mentioned above) has a very menacing tone. It kind of reminds me of a mix of Warner Bros. and Tim Burton.

Ideally, we should then interpret play in this setting as realistic and down-to-earth that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots.

I got my book and after a skim have decided that it is awesome!