Fire-drake (The King's Quest)

By Kjeld, in Rules questions & answers

Question regarding the Forced effect for the Fire-drake in the King's Quest. The effect reads:

Forced: After the active location is explored, Fire-drake returns to the staging area and makes an immediate attack against each player in turn order.

Does the effect trigger if the Fire-drake is already in the staging area when the active location is explored?

I can interpret it either way. Either (1) both clauses after the comma are linked -- if the first doesn't happen, the second is canceled; or (2) the clauses are independent, and the second happens regardless of whether the first does. I would think that if it were the second interpretation, then FFG would have clarified with a parenthetical to the effect of, "Fire-drake returns to the staging area (if not already in the staging area)...", but perhaps they were just saving space.

Fire-drake.jpg

Given that the rules ask you to attempt to resolve abilities to the fullest extent possible, and given that the rules have a specific "then" clause available if the intention was to only attack if it returned, I would attempt to do as much of the sentence as possible even if I can't do it all.

11 minutes ago, NathanH said:

Given that the rules ask you to attempt to resolve abilities to the fullest extent possible, and given that the rules have a specific "then" clause available if the intention was to only attack if it returned, I would attempt to do as much of the sentence as possible even if I can't do it all.

I figured that was likely the case, given that the rule of thumb for this game is to interpret rules in the worst possible way for the players (Sauron always plays dirty), but thematically it didn't make that much sense to me. When you get to the second quest stage, it seems like you're still searching for the dragon, and haven't found it yet!

Maybe IT found YOU