Lion & Unicorn 2020 Clan Letters

By Doji Hyōkin, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

2 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

I'd note that the local Lion Commanders are Akodo and Ikoma, not Matsu.

Well, if the Matsu believes that overextension pays off because We Have Reserves , I wonder how they fight off everybody else except the Scorpion and Crab.

Silly Lion.

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I'd note that the local Lion Commanders are Akodo and Ikoma, not Matsu

Of the Clan ;) Just sayin' it looks like if the Lion had been led by the Matsu rather than the Akodo all along, they might've conquered the rest of Rokugan ages ago.

6 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Of the Clan ;) Just sayin' it looks like if the Lion had been led by the Matsu rather than the Akodo all along, they might've conquered the rest of Rokugan ages ago.

War is a marathon, not a sprint.

4 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

War is a marathon, not a sprint.

That seems like just the sort of thing a Crab would say :)

15 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

For about a season, and then they would be crushed by keeping such a long and large front. I mean, they would have to contend with the mountains of the Dragon lands, the open plains that favor the Unicorn in battle, the Phoenix magic (nevermind the current imbalance), the shinobi of the Scorpion and Crane and the war machine of the Crab.

Granted, between the time of Shinjo's departure and the return of the Unicorn Clan, the Lion were definitely the strongest clan of the Empire due to them having control of their own territory and the Ki-Rin's (just for safekeeping, of course). I guess that was one of the many reasons why the Gozoku actually came to be. Could have become a way of dealing with Lion aggression and then, well, we control the Emperor as a puppet and the Lion obey the Emperor, so that works too.

Edit: By the way, is there any mention to the Gozoku in this new timeline?

Edited by Diogo Salazar

Well if we want to bring history into it then Matsu Itagi's time as Champion saw numerous military successes, but because he lack the political influence to turn those successes into actual gains it ended up being a lot of fighting for the sake of fighting.

And then he got himself killed by trying to invade the Shadowlands.

2 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Edit: By the way, is there any mention to the Gozoku in this new timeline?

I don't think they have said Gozoku anywhere yet, but there's various bits and pieces referencing the events, like the Lion warring against a Rebellions Crane Champion in ther right timeframe.

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I don't think they have said Gozoku anywhere yet, but there's various bits and pieces referencing the events, like the Lion warring against a Rebellions Crane Champion in ther right timeframe.

The Gozoku are mentioned by name in the history section of Emerald Empire (pp14-15), with essentially the same political events as in previous timeline histories.