Is Descent 2nd edition dead?

By Electris, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I am guessing Fantasy Flight is done making official content for the second edition. Is that correct? If so it is sad, because the co-op app was really fun. I was hoping for either more campaigns for the app or for more expansions. It seems odd to me given how many posts this community has. As in there's money to be made yet they don't release anything else. I also have not heard of a formal announcement for a 3rd edition.

Thoughts everyone? And to be clear "Descent doesn't need any more expansions/DLC/etc" isn't the point of this thread.

It has been officially confirmed that no new physical content is coming.

We don’t know about app content. The last content update to the app was December 2018, a year and a half ago (the app is just over 4 years old, for context).

The app is still getting the occasional update. The most recent one was a language translation I believe.

New physical stuff is officially no. New app stuff? Not confirmed either way, although I personally believe it is unlikely given the length of time since the last content update.

Although I would really like a Mists+Chains campaign... and a few more side quests...

Link to the official confirmation:

Edited by Lightningclaw
9 hours ago, Electris said:

I was hoping for either more campaigns for the app

While it might not be as appealing to try as official content, there is well executed fan made content out there that you could try if you haven't already :)

And it keeps on coming.

Valkyre campaigns (RTL):

Shadow Rune Project

The Trollfens

Physical competitive campaign:

Elements of Demise

Fan made expansion

Sands of the Past

Very interesting custom Heroes and classes

Maze of Drakon

Rugal's Druid

You can find more here.

Edited by Dadler93

Yes, I’m pretty sure that Descent is dead.

yeah and FFG too, thats why they plan to release two novels based on Descent. The idea behind the scene is to waste their time and money with a setting who obviously is dead. I mean logically if no board game is released linked to that universe, i guess thousands of people will rush to buy their copies of the books. It will be some kind of relic.
RIP Mennara.

Edited by Tintaglia

Descent V2 is dead, yes, but descent universe is not, I'm sure of it. On which form, that I do not know.

without Descent i can't see any futur for Mennara.

13 hours ago, UmarSlobberknocker said:

Yes, I’m pretty sure that Descent is dead.

It was just leaked that there is a 3rd edition in the works. They edited the product description to remove the line about introducing a new edition of Descent, likely since FFG hasn't announced it officially yet, but we'll likely hear more in the larger announcements, like GenCon. Thread here for context.

2nd edition is likely going to get no further content as that energy and money is going to go into 3rd.

Edited by kris40k

I’ve spent too much money building up a 2nd edition collection. I have no interest in starting over now especially with their much higher prices for everything. I loved Descent. I owned 1st edition base and RtL. 2nd edition, I went all in. There are only a couple of hero packs that I’m missing. I simply refuse to start over again.

15 hours ago, UmarSlobberknocker said:

I’ve spent too much money building up a 2nd edition collection. I have no interest in starting over now especially with their much higher prices for everything. I loved Descent. I owned 1st edition base and RtL. 2nd edition, I went all in. There are only a couple of hero packs that I’m missing. I simply refuse to start over again.

All of my friends who bought 1st edition never bought 2nd. I don't think the average consumer keeps buying new versions of the same game. I think new editions of a game are about updating a game so that it's competitive in the current market to appeal to a new generation.

If a games been out, say 10 years it makes a lot of sense that something like that would need to happen and that a NEW generation would in fact be there to buy it. The problem I think FFG may run into is that RtL is for all intents and purposes a new game which has already taken that new fanbase. Is there already ANOTHER new generation to sell to?

One thing I'm sure. If a third edition happens, I'll not buy a thing. I'm not playing 2nd edition for years, not to mention 1st edition. But I use mainly the tiles from the games often. Not even the minis I use anymore cause I have a good stock of D&D minis, so it's entirely of no use for me to buy a third edition of descent.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:36 PM, Tintaglia said:

without Descent i can't see any futur for Mennara.

Descent v3

Runebound Dungeon quest Runewars and more were in mennara universe not to mention Genesys

53 minutes ago, rugal said:

Descent v3

Runebound Dungeon quest Runewars and more were in mennara universe not to mention Genesys

Runebound and Runewars were dead on arrival, they're still canning Genesys right?

So if they misread the amount of work to price ratio as badly as they have been and flub descent.....

They didnt say its a third edition, they said the new game is Descent related.

In the article:

https://www.dicebreaker.com/series/descent-journeys-in-the-dark/news/descent-legends-of-the-dark-leaked

it says:

Asked whether Descent: Journeys in the Dark - Third Edition was a possibility, Navaro replied: “ Not necessarily. But we are working on something Descent-related that I’m incredibly excited about. I think it’s easily one of the coolest, most ambitious things we’ve ever done.”

3 hours ago, jopan said:

They didnt say its a third edition, they said the new game is Descent related.

In the article:

https://www.dicebreaker.com/series/descent-journeys-in-the-dark/news/descent-legends-of-the-dark-leaked

it says:

Asked whether Descent: Journeys in the Dark - Third Edition was a possibility, Navaro replied: “ Not necessarily. But we are working on something Descent-related that I’m incredibly excited about. I think it’s easily one of the coolest, most ambitious things we’ve ever done.”

The quote from Navaro was from back in November. The leak specifically saying a new edition of Descent was within the last couple weeks. Things can change over 8-9 months.

Now, there is also the new name Legends of the Dark that was trademarked in June (way too long after Navaro's quote) to contend with, so it does seem that as discussed in this thread either:

• it sounds like Descent is being rebranded from "Journeys in the Dark" to "Legends of the Dark" and a 3rd edition is coming out.
  • there is a new Terrinoth IP-based game "Descent: Legends of the Dark" being developed, and for some reason was called a new edition by marketing.

Rampant Speculation Time: Grain of Salt warning. At this current point in time, my suspicion/theory based on what information has been leaked and the public actions taken by the companies involved (FFG, Aconyte, Simon & Schuster) is that after FFG announces Decent: Legends of the Dark (probably during the GenCon live stream) the Aconyte books will be re-branded from Journeys in the Dark to Legends of the Dark as there is no point in producing tie-in books for a game that you are no longer producing or stocking. The entire purpose of Aconyte is to drive sales of the games. They will be used to build interest in that new product. Legends in the Dark which will tie into 2E in some fashion, while not necessitating owning the base game. A good idea of this is how Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Wolf is a stand alone game that also functions as an expansion for owners of the Gloomhaven base game at a lower price point to drive more sales and interest in the line of games. Legends of the Dark may function as a stand alone game, but also as an expansion if you already own Journeys in the Dark . If they go this route, I would also expect to see re-prints of the 2E core set, but perhaps not as much on the expansions, much in the way Asmodee USA said they plan on continuing to print Star Wars: Imperial Assault even though they are not producing new content, as its a good seller year over year.

Thus, meeting all the so-far leaked details in that its not necessarily a new edition, but also not the same game.

Edited by kris40k
11 hours ago, kris40k said:

A good idea of this is how Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Wolf is a stand alone game that also functions as an expansion for owners of the Gloomhaven base game at a lower price point to drive more sales and interest in the line of games. Legends of the Dark may function as a stand alone game, but also as an expansion if you already own Journeys in the Dark .

You can use the heroes from Jaws of the Lion, but that's it. It doesn't integrate as an expansion to any significant extent.

Also it will almost certainly be 3rd edition. The game will be at least 9 years old by the time Legends of the Dark would be released and the game is definitely showing it's age. Plastics gotten a bunch bigger and better, a lot of the mini's don't even fit in the spaces anymore. Trying to make all groups equivalent is a mess. The tacked on threat system is a mess. Imperial Assaults threat system fixes both those problems SOOO well.

I mean sure they could do a one off thing but that's not Financial Fight Games' $$$MO$$$ especially where they're trying to drum up publicity with books. They will want to sabotage their existing product line and fan base in order to release something completely different under the same name so they can keep doing expansions for years.

Edited by Bucho
54 minutes ago, Bucho said:

Plastics gotten a bunch bigger and better

Not gonna lie, if they scale up Descent figures to Runewars Miniature Game mini's size and quality, I'll be in love. I've already started using RMG figures with mini agnostic systems like Rangers of Shadow Deep . They obviously have improved their production side of the business so far with SW: Legion and RMG , so what ever comes out will be better than what we have seen before. If the "new" Descent was a skirmish game like Rangers , and/or incorporated RMG figures that would be cool to, and a reason to change the name, but I think they will stick with the grid maps. Probably don't want to change up to much of the recipe at once.

Even though the rank and file RMG was killed off, maybe a skirmish Descent: Legends ? Meh, just daydreaming...

Edited by kris40k
1 hour ago, kris40k said:

Not gonna lie, if they scale up Descent figures to Runewars Miniature Game mini's size and quality, I'll be in love.

I don't really care if they use the scale they finished Descent with or go to the slightly larger Runewars size. Either way they DO need to increase the size of the squares on the cardboard. The way it stands I run into situations where the pieces don't actually fit on the board

GaqPQxy.jpg

Edited by Bucho

Jaws of the Wolf ... 😅

Edited by doubletapdaddy

Wolf or Lion who cares ? In the end the skin will perfectly fit for a hat.

The game is only "dead" for FFG, as long as there is players to play to it, the game is alive ! :)

4 hours ago, rugal said:

The game is only "dead" for FFG, as long as there is players to play to it, the game is alive ! :)

When FFG kills a game people stop wanting to learn it and the people who played it end up moving on.

I won't ! And some of my players too !

If they aren't creating new content do you think they will reprint the 2e content or just leave it now that this new thing related to Descent is coming out?

4 hours ago, Skitch_ said:

If they aren't creating new content do you think they will reprint the 2e content or just leave it now that this new thing related to Descent is coming out?

Which one will net them more money?