Need help: GR-75 'Rusted'

By ForceSensitive, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Done a lot of painting and modeling in my day, so we can cut straight to colors and methods. Bear in mind my paint collection is all citadel/gw.

I've gotten a second GR75 for... Reasons. I've done touch ups to all my other ships but not really sure how I want to do this one. I know I want it to look like the one in the background at MosEisly (ep4 remastered version) that was red rust covered. I don't try to go to out of my way on my X-wing stuff since the factory paint is mostly great. So minimal effort here is the goal. I like to think in normal circumstances that all I do for my X-wing stuff is 'finish what the factory started'.

My other transport all I did was put some shade running down the hull like rust run off and leakages from corners of protruding parts and some recess areas, whatever liked right. Brown stains as it is, it worked great just using Agrax Earth shade. Then I added some extra color to the cargo pods selectively and did the engines. Enough to bring it to life and give it just so slightly a different look to everyone else's.

So my current thinking for the new one is heavy dry brush the wall panels with like a reddish brown going for almost total coverage, layer paint select panels back to some grays like they've been replaced recently and others with darker muddy brown. Then 'rust' effect it with sponged on dark/bright red and blackish-brown? Something like that? Then I'll do something similar to the other one I have and color the engines and some different cargo pods.

If anyone is terribly familiar with rust scheme or for some ideas bounce em on me. I'm not confident in my path on this one yet.

Edited by ForceSensitive
Spelling of my gawd my auto type hates me kill me now.

SPACE POTATO!

tSytVdI.jpg

The same Mos Eisley background transport inspired me to add the Space Potato to my rebel fleet years ago. I didn't follow the screen-accurate theme, clearly, but it set me in the right direction for a big brown transport. I used an airbrush for mine. Here's my original thread (now Photobucket-Photobombed to death...why I use Imgur now):

Back from ages ago, I watched a Sorastro painting guide for the Imperial Assault AT-ST, and he was adding grime and rust with some of the Citadel Technical Paints (Typhus Corrosion, Ryza Rust). Video queued up.

Well, I finally worked up the courage to just start and see where it went. I don't have an airbrush, so that was ruled out. And I actually had used the Sorastro guide to do my IA Walker before. I elected to use the basic shade trick to create stains, but decided against the Typhus because at this models scales the added texture I was afraid would be out of place.

The basic technique was first speckling the hull with a sponge technique and using Mephiston red and Rhinox Hide to get there texture pattern I wanted of pitting on the hull. Then to use Reikland Flesh shade, and Agrax Earth shade in alternate areas and a psuedo wetblend over that to tie the colors together and tint the original paint at the same time.

Then go back and bring a bit of break up to it by using Karak Stone tan to pick out some very small sporadic panels and then getting the exposed greebles back to a grey color with Mechanics Standard Grey with a few touchups and edge highlight strokes. The bridge got a coat of 'Ardcoat to get super gloss again on the bridge after the process. Picked out some containers underneath to be different colors and shade them again real quick. Engines got the same treatment as the first '75 I did for consistency, getting a base of white and then glossed with Soulstone blue for effect. I know I painted more engines then there's supposed to be, but whatever right? Call them upgraded to keep up with the command ship. Soon I'll post their little group to my collection thread with a bit of backstory fluff.

Overall, mild success. Certainly not my best model. Not my worst though. Close enough to the intended scheme that I'm satisfied with the appearance on the table. Still might get a rusty red and dry brush it for some panel edges, maybe. Don't think it's really needed at the scale it is though. Here they are, together at last.

Presenting the Rebel smuggling cell "Rivermen"s two transports: The Heavy Krayt in all her rusted punny glory, and the Long Haul.

YVz5RVz.jpg

gmS60ft.jpg

2MBXn8a.jpg

Q5kk9DN.jpg

AZuT0V4.jpg

And together with their command ship:

QtLYxn4.jpg

Thanks for the inspirations and enjoy!

Very nice work