Points of Interest >> A look at special locations from the Winds of Magic supplement

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

As discussed in my previous designer diary the Colleges of Magic have a significant impact on the Empire – it’s a powerful cultural influence. But beyond that, magic adds a layer of fantasy and fascination to the setting. Magic and its study also lends itself to the exploration of interesting locations, peoples, and organisations.

For a roleplaying game, magic provides a Game Master with a number of great adventure hooks built around these people, places, and things – even if there is no wizard character in the party. This designer diary takes a closer look at some of these points of interest, as well as includes a downloadable two page spread from one of the Winds of Magic books.

"Chapter Four: Exotic Magic Disciplines"

Excited gran_risa.gif

As opposed to "Chapter Two: The Great Colleges". That sounds like the 8 (or how many was it?) big colleges aren't the only ones.

I like my Warhammer not too clean cut (it should be muddy and complicated!), so I'm cautiously excited about my interpretation of this.

Sunatet said:

"Chapter Four: Exotic Magic Disciplines"

Excited gran_risa.gif

Looks like I'm not the only one excited about this one :D

I'm excited too, but with concern. If the book reads anything like the other two magic tomes in the core boxed set, chapters 1 through 4 will have no rules and be entirely fluff with the last 2 chapters having any of the crunchy bits not found on the cards.

@keltheos: i get what you are saying, but what are they supposed to put in the books now. the careers go on cards, the spells go on cards. hopefully, there will be crunch on how to deal with hedge magic and dhar in the books and the mutation stuff will be in them. it sounds like there will be a bunch of optional rules, and i think more about high magic might show up. i am sure there will be lots of fluff in the book, but a lot of people have been complaining about how there isn't enough fluff. it seems tough to make everyone happy.

Oh, I agree. I'm just waiting for people who see that chapter title to start posting on how disappointed they were when they find out it was only pages of fluff and no rules on them...

yeah, that is definitely a possibility. we have already seen two flavors of monster casting (semi-exotic?) that don't require any special rules that i can think of without looking at them. we are just going to have to wait and see what happens.

keltheos said:

Oh, I agree. I'm just waiting for people who see that chapter title to start posting on how disappointed they were when they find out it was only pages of fluff and no rules on them...

If there are entries on Tzeentch, and his demons, and no rules, and not a single spell for dark magic, then I can start to post how disappointed I am right here, right now.

Fingers crossed there will be something more than fluff.