Superhero Concepts

By BringBackForbiddenStars, in Genesys

Hey everyone! I'm creating superhero rules for Genesys and could use your ideas!
If you were making a super hero or villain, what would you want to play as? Tell me your concept.

You can find the older version of my rules here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dy9ay1yS7nlVHqTPP8-X9QKIc5YOYcax/view
With the release of Secrets of the Crucible I'm making massive sweeping changes to this. I'm now confident the next edition can be used to run an Avengers style campaign in Genesys.
This is currently being created with GMbinder. I'm having some technical issues and am rebuilding everything from the ground up in Affinity Publisher. This will take some time. I'd love to hear what you'd want out of a Superhero setting in the meantime.

I'm currently running a Genesys Superhero game using the rules in the back of the core rulebook and these rules created by IndianaWalsh (all hail!)

We've added a few additional rules which have proven to work very well.

-We revamped the improvised weapon rules to work by silhouette so that it would include hitting someone with a bus. This meant dropping the 10x silhouette damage rule as this made super-strength or telekinesis into game breaking powers. We followed the Size Manipulation power guidelines in the above supplement, +2 damage per increase in silhouette, plus special properties as they get bigger or due to the nature of the weapon (hitting someone with a fuel tanker would add Blast and Burn, etc).

-We revamped the vehicle combat rules so that the battle is conducted almost entirely through Critical hits- this allows super-powered PCs to directly engage capital ships (ala Captain Marvel). Any powered attack that has blast, breach, Pierce 5+, or sunder can crit any vehicle (and any successful attack that uses the aim maneuver to add 2 setback can also crit) and sunder adds +10 to crit results per activation. Armor on vehicles provides a -10 on crit results per point instead of damage reduction. This way you don't track hull trauma at all, only crits (and crits eventually overwhelm the armor until the ship goes down). Vehicle weapons do personal level damage because they are assumed to near miss or be mitigated by super defenses of some kind when targeting powered characters (Superman would just take a direct hit from a Turbolaser and only take the equivalent of personal level damage, Batman would be near missed by the Turbolaser and the blast from the nearby impact would do similar personal level damage, etc.). Vehicle versus Vehicle combat would be handled normally.

-We created versions of almost all of the magic talents that do the same thing for super powers (Brilliant Casting = Brilliant Power, Conduit = Power Conduit, and so on).

It has been a complete blast to play! We're at about 650 earned XP and we average 5 xp per hour played so we've played about 130 hours.

Did you ever run vehicle combat with just heroes in your campaign?

As a first pass, I was going to include vehicle combat and have rules for characters like the Flash and Superman following along just as fast. I found a lot of the vehicle rules pretty specific to vehicles. What I was left over with seemed unsatisfying.

Yes, we did and one of the things we accounted for was heroes moving at vehicular (and faster speeds). I increased the speed chart for vehicles to go up to 9+ with modifiers that scale up accordingly with the rule that at Speed 10 weird things can happen (time travel, dimensional travel, warp speed, etc- driven by Triumph or Despair rolls). We based the max speed of a hero on a stat they choose to govern their mode of travel (so my son's super speed character uses Agility, one of our flying heroes uses Willpower). Their max speed equals that stat plus one higher for any power that allows them an extra range band of movement (so my son's speedster with Agility 5 and a superspeed power that let's him move 4 extra range bands per turn can reach max speed 9). In normal encounters speed doesn't matter even for vehicles (I allow the reposition maneuver at speed 0 for this purpose- so that stationary battles just let vehicles move like a character- it's much easier). But when speed is a factor the hero has to use the same maneuvers a vehicle would use (accelerate, decelerate, etc), has forced movement, and spends personal strain instead of system strain.

I'd share the actual rules write up we did, but it uses EotE symbols for dice and results and won't translate on the forums easily. I'll try to post them later and edit the symbols out- but it depends on me finding time :)

Movement at Super-heroic Speeds

· Most vehicle movement against superheroes in a static location will occur at Speed 1 or 0 and use the Reposition Maneuver for vehicle movement- such that they follow the same basic rules for movement as personal scale movement.

· High speed vehicle movement (anything that includes a forced range band move) may also be used to interact with heroes who are also moving at high speed (such as in a chase). Heroes with flight, super speed, etc, may move at vehicular speeds and may take certain vehicular maneuvers and actions. They expend Strain in place of System Strain. Each hero should assign a skill to make checks at high-speed (often Athletics, Coordination, or Discipline) to match their movement power.

· Maximum speed equals the characteristic associated with their designated movement skill (Brawn, Agility, etc). Powers that grant additional maneuvers or additional range bands to a single maneuver increase maximum speed by 1 per additional personal scale move the hero could make. They must pay all associated strain costs to use these additional maneuvers to reach a speed higher than their characteristic at the time of acceleration, but may maintain their speed at no cost once achieved (though the DM may rule that they have to spend all their maneuvers each round on movement and may assign a strain cost for this).

· The following vehicle maneuvers are available to characters moving at super-heroic speeds.

o Accelerate:

o Decelerate:

o Evade: The penalties for this only apply to vehicles or npcs moving at super-heroic speed (against normal personal scale attacks Dodge would be used).

o Reposition: This is effectively a standard move maneuver for a character. Vehicles may take this maneuver even at speed 0.

o Dangerous Driving (action):

o Gain the Advantage (action): The benefits or penalties for this only apply to vehicles or npcs moving at super-heroic speed.

Super-heroic Speeds in Structured Encounters

Speed

Forced Move

Other Effects

0 range bands

-

1-2

2 range bands

-

3-4

3 range bands

Upgrade the difficulty of all Piloting checks once. Add +20 to the result of any critical hit resulting from a collision.

5-6

4 range bands

Upgrade the difficulty of all combat checks targeting this character once. Upgrade the difficulty of all Piloting checks twice. Add +40 to the result of any critical hit resulting from a collision.

7-8

5 range bands

Upgrade the difficulty of all combat checks targeting this character twice. Upgrade the difficulty of all Piloting checks three times. Add +60 to the result of any critical hit resulting from a collision.

9+

6 range bands

Upgrade the difficulty of all combat checks targeting this character three times. Upgrade the difficulty of all Piloting checks four times. Add +80 to the result of any critical hit resulting from a collision. Speeds beyond 9 (10+) may result in unusual effects (time travel, dimensional travel, etc) at the discretion of the DM (using Despair or Triumph to guide the outcome).

Chases

· When a chase begins the GM determines starting distances between the participants (typically this is the distance they are from each other when the chase is initiated- before counting any maneuvers taken by the person initiating the pursuit). The GM also establishes starting speed (based on the maneuvers taken by the initiating party and one rounds worth of maneuvers for the pursuer/prey).

· Participants make Competitive Move checks (skill based on their movement type). Difficulty of this check equals the Silhouette of the vehicle/hero upgraded by speed modifiers with a number of Setback Dice assigned based on terrain (1-3). The participant with the higher speed adds Boost Dice equal to the difference in their speeds to the check.

· Failure of a chase check requires the participant to take the Dangerous Driving action in the following turn to avoid a collision. Despair upgrades the difficulty of any skill checks they make in the rest of the turn including the following turn’s chase check (or may have other effects at GM discretion).

· The victor of this check may increase or decrease the distance between involved parties by 1 plus 1 for every two successes on the check above the result of their opponents. If more than two parties are involved the victor may choose to close with one opponent and widen distance from another in the same check.

· Note: Forced movement does not need to be tracked in chases as range is determined by the chase check, unless the chase has a destination of some kind in which case forced movement should be used as the sole indicator of closing the distance on that goal destination.

· Each participant then takes a turn based on initiative order (this may be carried over from a previous encounter or determined in the first turn). If they do not spend at least one maneuver on movement each turn they fall out of the chase. Any maneuvers spent on something other than moving imposes one Setback die on the next chase check or reduces the Boost die due to speed advantage by 1.

· The chase is resolved when something occurs that prevents one of the parties from continuing (being taken out by an attack, being immobilized, having a major collision, losing sight of the target) or when the pursued party increases the distance between their pursuers beyond Extreme range.

Collisions

· When a vehicle collides with a superhero the hero suffers damage as though hit with an improvised weapon of the vehicle's size using the vehicle's relative speed as the Brawn for the attack. So if the vehicle and hero are moving in the same direction at speed 3 and 2 respectively, the relative speed is 1. If they were headed toward each other the relative speed would be 5. If the collision is intentional use the piloting or relative speed whichever is higher in place of Brawn for the damage.

Note: Improvised Weapon damage is equal to Brawn+3 plus a damage bonus for size (silhouette 0 is +1, Silo 1 is +2, Silo 2 is +4, Silo 3 is +6 and so on).

· The vehicle only suffers a collision if the hero has a power that makes it reasonable that the impact could significantly damage the vehicle (such as invulnerability, extreme super strength, a barrier, or an energy aura). If so it suffers a critical hit with a -10 on the result for each silhouette lower the character is than the impacting vehicle (this is in addition to the effects of any armor the vehicle has). If this reduces the result below 0, no critical hit is suffered by the vehicle.

· A hero that collides with an object at super-heroic speeds (perhaps by failing a Dangerous Driving action) suffers damage as though the object were being used against them as an improvised weapon of its silhouette by a character with Brawn equal to their speed at the time of impact. If the hero suffers a critical hit as a result of the collision (such as by rolling Despair on a failed Dangerous Driving action or exceeding their wound threshold) the result is reduced by 10 per point of melee defense the hero has but is increased by the appropriate modifier for their speed (see the table above) at time of impact.

Miscellaneous

· Vehicle versus Vehicle combat is handled using the normal Genesys vehicle rules.