Count Dooku vs General Grievous

By ozmodon, in Army Building

I'm new and looking for witch one will be best in an 800 point build. I expect to have the tank sometime this week.

Is Dooku worth the points?

They're both good but play very differently (you'll notice Dooku doesn't come with any move-attack ability like Charge or Relentless). One is not inherently better than the other (taking point cost into account as you always should, Dooku is 30 points more than Grievous) since this game does a fairly good job with balance. There is a popular list archetype that uses both that people refer to Double the Fall. Of course, if you want to run your tank (it's very good, either with a few upgrades or none at all) you will probably only use one of them.

11 hours ago, ozmodon said:

Is Dooku worth the points?

Yes, most definitely. @arnoldrew is 100% correct in his assessment. They perform different functions. Dooku is a scalpel that manipulates the battlefield and strikes at the opportune moment, while Grievous is a beat stick who smashes face all of the time (though there is some nuance as how one best sets up his 1-pip for maximum carnage). I love Dooku loaded out with force choke/force push/force reflexes. The thing that can really hurt you with him though is being overly aggressive too early. Keep him hidden as best you can while he moves up the looking for an opportunity to strike. Grievous, while good, suffers from his Courage 2 value. This makes him susceptible to suppression, as he needs all of his actions to operate efficiently.

Ive been having the same dilemma myself, though depending on how you upgrade Dooku and grievous the relative difference between a "Fat" Grievous and a "bare Bones" Dooku is as little as 22 points really.

These are the 2 different builds ive been contemplating for an event im hoping to attend in a few weeks time:

797/800

General Grievous (175 + 33 = 208)

--Aggressive Tactics (10), Strict Orders (5), Endurance (6), DT-57 Annihilator (12)

B2 Super Battle Droids (48 + 42 = 90)

--B2-ACM Trooper (26), B2 Super Battle Droid (16)

B1 Battle Droids (36 + 30 = 66)

--E-5s B1 Trooper (20), HQ Uplink (10)

B1 Battle Droids (36 + 24 = 60)

--E-5C B1 Trooper (18), B1 Battle Droid (6)

AAT Trade Federation Battle Tank (170 + 23 = 193)

--T-Series Tactical Droid Pilot (5), Armor-Piercing Shells (10), High-Energy Shells (8)

From < https://tabletopadmiral.com/legion/separatist/p2du68u3eu46u6ep34u8du76uEMp26u7euEMu29uEMp26u69u5euEMuEMp26u69u5euEMuEMp26u69u5euEMuEMp26u69u5euEMuEMp36u78u93u99uEMc08 >

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

795/800

Count Dooku (205 + 25 = 230)

--Force Choke (5), Force Push (10), Aggressive Tactics (10)

B1 Battle Droids (36 + 30 = 66)

--E-5s B1 Trooper (20), HQ Uplink (10)

B1 Battle Droids (36 + 18 = 54)

--E-5C B1 Trooper (18)

--E-5C B1 Trooper (18)

--E-5C B1 Trooper (18)

--E-5C B1 Trooper (18)

B2 Super Battle Droids (48 + 42 = 90)

--B2-ACM Trooper (26), B2 Super Battle Droid (16)

AAT Trade Federation Battle Tank (170 + 23 = 193)

--T-Series Tactical Droid Pilot (5), Armor-Piercing Shells (10), High-Energy Shells (8)

http://tabletopadmiral.com/legion/separatist/p31u08uEMu09u68p26u7euEMu29uEMp26u69uEMuEMuEMp26u69uEMuEMuEMp26u69uEMuEMuEMp26u69uEMuEMuEMp34u8du76uEMp36u78u93u99uEM

The only real difference between the 2 Armies is that 4 of the B1 squads have an extra mini and the bid is slightly different.

Still not sure what to play, Dooku is a lot slower to get into combat and has less health but is an absolute wreaking ball if he gets to melee.

Grievous is super slippery and because of scale and relentless he is often able to get into combat with minis your opponent thought were safe. His additional health and extra training slot over Dooku also make him a lot more appealing from my perspective but in the end they are quite different playstyles so go with whichever commander suits you I say.

Edited by Mace Windu
10 hours ago, Mace Windu said:

The only real difference between the 2 Armies is that 4 of the B1 squads have an extra mini and the bid is slightly different.

you could also fiddle with the makeup of the units. If you drop the extra troopers, you can squeeze in another unit of B1. I like to give this unit the Uplink sometimes, because they don't get shot at as much and are just there to "uplink" the other units when the 1 pip is played. That, and 9 activations feels like so much more than 8 in these kind of lists.

Not taking three force powers on Dooku is a mistake to me. It is unlikely you can hide him completely as he moves up the table, which is why I always take force reflexes. It keeps him alive longer. However if you absolutely feel you don't need it, then throw Fear on him for 3 points. It allows you to hand out a suppression, which means if he starts in someone's normal standby range, he can remove their standby token before he takes an action.

17 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

you could also fiddle with the makeup of the units. If you drop the extra troopers, you can squeeze in another unit of B1. I like to give this unit the Uplink sometimes, because they don't get shot at as much and are just there to "uplink" the other units when the 1 pip is played. That, and 9 activations feels like so much more than 8 in these kind of lists.

Except for the undeniable fact that you can only have a max of 6 corps in a legion. Otherwise, yeah more droids, more better.

6 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Except for the undeniable fact that you can only have a max of 6 corps in a legion. Otherwise, yeah more droids, more better.

My eyes deceive me, or I ran out of fingers.

well, when the sniper droids come out in 2 months, it will be an option

14 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

Not taking three force powers on Dooku is a mistake to me. It is unlikely you can hide him completely as he moves up the table, which is why I always take force reflexes. It keeps him alive longer. However if you absolutely feel you don't need it, then throw Fear on him for 3 points. It allows you to hand out a suppression, which means if he starts in someone's normal standby range, he can remove their standby token before he takes an action.

I don't think I've ever run him without Reflexes either because red dice are vicious.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 2:53 AM, Cruzer said:

I was so disappointed when I found out that the B2's were going to be standard core units rather than special forces, my dreams of a sea of 6 full B1 battle droid squads and 3 B2 Super Battle droid squads drowning my opponents was dashed haha.

though honestly im finding it hard to justify more than 1 unit of B2s in the list anyways, tissue paper defence and cant continue the co-ordinate chain.

Still a tonne of fun though when you get to air drop them in with timely reinforcements