Got a Debate Going on and need some thoughts.

By marklgz, in Rules Questions

We're playing in a pseudo 'Realms of Terrinoth' setting.

One of our players has poured XP into Runes and another has poured into Arcana.

The player that focused on Runes is disappointed stating that he should have just picked Arcana as he feels that he's limited in terms of finding runes and runic talents being limited, whereas his Arcana counterpart has freedom to create spells and there are more available talents for Arcana than Runes.

Is there an advantage to Arcana over Runes? or Vice Versa?

Are we getting this wrong?

Can anyone offer the Advantages and Disadvantages of each school?

I dont have this the RoT book BUT: Cant u use runes to enhance things long term. (Puts healing rune on rock:BOOM! Painkiller!) And the combinations would be endless. Think enhance via writing (Me grammer bad)

@marklgz

I just reread those rules.

Any character can use a runebound shard for it's listed effect (i.e.: an Arcane Bolt Rune has an attack profile like a weapon).

However, a character with the Runes skill can use it as an implement to cast any spell allowed (note: no Conjuration, Dispel, or Heal). The effect should be themed to the shard, but otherwise there is no restriction. If the shard is used for what it's most suited to (i.e.: Attack for the Arcane Bolt Rune), it will get a better benefit.

This does not stop you from using to cast any available spell.

The big difference is that the Runes skill requires a Runebound Shard to be used, as opposed to the other magic skills for which an implement is optional.

The narrative effect is important, as using a Lightning Strike Rune with the Barrier spell might have the character surrounded by a shield of electricity, while an Ice Storm Rune used to cast the Barrier spell might have a whirlwind of ice surrounding them instead.

I forgot to add:

Unless a magic Talent specifically calls out or restricts the choice of magic skill, the default is that you can use any magic skill with the Talent (i.e.: Signature Spell does not mention a specific magic skill, so any can be used).

(Double Post. Sorry!)

Edited by salamar_dree