Gunslingers!

By Deadshane, in Army Building

Wanting to use Solo real bad but with Cassian had this idea.

Lots of close range pistol shooters handing out suppression and death to multiple units. Pretty damaging shooting if they can survive...but since all pistol carriers have some sort of bonus to their defense...hopefully it pans out.

++ Standard (Rebel Alliance) [799 Points] ++

+ Commander +

•Cassian Andor† [112 Points]: A280†, Endurance, Offensive Push, Recon Intel

•Han Solo [134 Points]: Endurance, Environmental Gear, Esteemed Leader

+ Operative +

•K-2SO† [80 Points]: •Jyn's SE-14 Blaster†

•Sabine Wren [169 Points]: Electro Grappling Line, Personal Combat Shield, Tenacity, •The Darksaber

+ Corps +

Rebel Troopers [60 Points]: SX-21 Trooper

Rebel Troopers [40 Points]

+ Special Forces +

Rebel Commandos [48 Points]: DH-447 Sniper

+ Command Hand +

Command Hand: Sorry About the Mess, •Crack Shot†, ••Last Stand†, ••Symbol of Rebellion, •••Legacy of Mandalore, •••Volunteer Mission†, ••••Standing Orders

+ Battle Cards +

Condition Cards: Clear Conditions, Hostile Environment, Limited Visibility, Rapid Reinforcements

Deployment Cards: Advanced Positions, Battle Lines, Disarray, Major Offensive

Objective Cards: Intercept the Transmissions, Key Positions, Recover the Supplies, Sabotage the Moisture Vaporators

++ Total: [799 Points] ++

Created with BattleScribe

For the record...Cassian as a sniper is competant...but boring.

Cassian turn 1 has potential to be a son of a ***** with 4 attacks.

Legacy of Mandalore and Volunteer mission will be **** for the enemy if all the heroes are alive.

Wren needs to engage fast to help cover infiltrating Cassian and K2SO.

Wren also has access to two ordered free recovers for the Grapnel and Shield. Darksaber is there as a precaution vs Luke/Vader/Cavalry.

Troopers will be close to cover advancing Solo so impact weapons with lots of dice just in case.

Edited by Deadshane

Overall seems like a fun theme list (major props for going with Cassian, Han, K2, and Sabine. Just a lot of fun hero units to work with :) ).

Definitely curious on the use of the SX-21s (also assume those commandos are strike teams with the pts). Sure, cheap 4 additional dice at close range, but just thinking on how often they'll be able to get that close. Going with the pistols-focused theme, I'm also wondering why there aren't any fleet troopers.

On 6/16/2020 at 10:52 AM, Cruzer said:

Overall seems like a fun theme list (major props for going with Cassian, Han, K2, and Sabine. Just a lot of fun hero units to work with :) ).

Definitely curious on the use of the SX-21s (also assume those commandos are strike teams with the pts). Sure, cheap 4 additional dice at close range, but just thinking on how often they'll be able to get that close. Going with the pistols-focused theme, I'm also wondering why there aren't any fleet troopers.

the hard part is picking which Command Cards you're going play with.

If you play Fleet troopers much, they actually die quicker than rebel troopers and rarely get to shoot more than once. The special gun sx21 "feels" like it performs better and saves you 7pts a unit, not to mention, with Aggressive Tactics, those Sx21 troops can be down right nasty on offense and often outperform a fully loaded Rebel Vet squad.

In this list, they may not have as much Impact (jokes aside) but can help if there's some armor. They really shine in skirmish though where the board is smaller.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:30 PM, Deadshane said:

Cassian turn 1 has potential to be a son of a ***** with 4 attacks.

Legacy of Mandalore and Volunteer mission will be **** for the enemy if all the heroes are alive.

Wren needs to engage fast to help cover infiltrating Cassian and K2SO.

Wren also has access to two ordered free recovers for the Grapnel and Shield. Darksaber is there as a precaution vs Luke/Vader/Cavalry.

Troopers will be close to cover advancing Solo so impact weapons with lots of dice just in case.

How is he able to get 4 attacks?

8 hours ago, weebaer said:

How is he able to get 4 attacks?

Gunslinger and standby i think? But getting in range or having enough aim tokens turn one is difficult (not to mention keeping the standby-

2 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Gunslinger and standby i think? But getting in range or having enough aim tokens turn one is difficult (not to mention keeping the standby-

Indeed. Overall I think it's more or less an area control technique. Nobody would be foolish enough to send a unit close after two units already took a Cassian shot to only then have that new unit AND one of the previous get shot (especially with a Pierce Weapon that rolls red and black). Of course at the same time, on the wrong turn, one might not have a choice.

Edited by Cruzer

I've wondered about Overwatch on Cassian for this, but in practice I've found it difficult to get him in a place where standby is a good action for him (he gets it free for the 1 pip). Lining up his activation and K2S0 to protect is difficult at times.

8 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I've wondered about Overwatch on Cassian for this, but in practice I've found it difficult to get him in a place where standby is a good action for him (he gets it free for the 1 pip). Lining up his activation and K2S0 to protect is difficult at times.

I include it in the loadout, just in case, but yeah you have to deploy him dead on-top of a stationary objective (key positions, intercept the transmission, etc) for ANYONE to fall into that obvious trap.

After a single time out, I decided on a couple changes...

++ Standard (Rebel Alliance) [791 Points] ++

+ Commander +

•Cassian Andor† [110 Points]: A280†, Offensive Push, Overwatch, Recon Intel

+ Operative +

•K-2SO† [90 Points]: HQ Uplink, •Jyn's SE-14 Blaster†

•Sabine Wren [153 Points]: Emergency Stims, Endurance, Personal Combat Shield

+ Corps +

+ Special Forces +

+ Command Hand +

Command Hand: Sorry About the Mess, •Crack Shot†, ••Reckless Diversion, ••Symbol of Rebellion, •••Legacy of Mandalore, •••Volunteer Mission†, ••••Standing Orders

+ Battle Cards +

Condition Cards: Clear Conditions, Hostile Environment, Limited Visibility, Rapid Reinforcements

Deployment Cards: Advanced Positions, Battle Lines, Disarray, Major Offensive

Objective Cards: Intercept the Transmissions, Key Positions, Recover the Supplies, Sabotage the Moisture Vaporators

++ Total: [791 Points] ++

Created with BattleScribe

So...first time out, my opponent decided he didnt want to let me play with new toys so he took advantage of a reckless Cassian infiltration and focused him down turn 1 despite danger sense. This left me with a handful of Order Cards that were useless.

Due to the "balls out" approach of the list, I figgured two orders per commander might be a better idea.

I put an HQ uplink on K2SO in order to make Sabine an ultimate tank for reckless diversion. K2 will be the first activation to calculate Sabine. Suppression cover, nimble, sheild, Stimms and red surge dice to save. Meanwhile, all the gunslingers can wreak havoc from the safery of the cover she provides.

Also, I figgure overwatch a better option now than Endurance. Other than that all the upgrade cards seem about right now.

Even without Cassian, the death that was doled out to my Empire opponent was really good for the amount of time I was able to have my pistoleros hang onto life. If Cassian could have had another turn to survive the game would have turned out decicevly more in my favor. As it was, I was able to pull a draw out of the Advanced Positions/Recover Supplies mission.

This Monday I will try and take picks of a game for a batrep in that forum section.

....I need to also consider the new missions and deployments since this list has a strong bid.

8 hours ago, Deadshane said:

....I need to also consider the new missions and deployments since this list has a strong bid.

I think you will really like supply drop, bombing run, payload, and danger close from Vital Assets set. Hostage can be good too, but your infiltrate can be crippled by the hostage scenario. I personally would switch Han's 1 pip for Sabine's and would have Han's 3 pip instead of Sabine's. The added suppression from her bombs is game changing, and if you kill units too then that is an added bonus. I think Saber wielders are your biggest concern which is why I would put in Han's 3 pip to stop things like SoS, Implacable, Palp's 1 pip, Dooku's 1 and 2 pip and Grevious' 1 pip. I think dooku gives you the hardest time, his cards will be painful vs your army and he is backed up by units with a lot of figures, which make gunslinger less effective in general. I love the army and I want to try it out too though. Nice Job.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:40 PM, buckero0 said:

Still don't get this. It says nothing about Cassian being allowed to attack twice on his pip 1, if he has already attacked standby means nithing.

5 hours ago, Big k said:

Still don't get this. It says nothing about Cassian being allowed to attack twice on his pip 1, if he has already attacked standby means nithing.

Thats incorrect.

On the pip 1 you gain your standby after your activation. Using the standby is a free attack action OUTSIDE the units own activation, its actually during another units activation. Since Gunslinger is still in effect, that equals two more attacks during the standby.

Difficult to actually pull off, but possible.

4 minutes ago, Deadshane said:

Thats incorrect.

On the pip 1 you gain your standby after your activation. Using the standby is a free attack action OUTSIDE the units own activation, its actually during another units activation. Since Gunslinger is still in effect, that equals two more attacks during the standby.

Difficult to actually pull off, but possible.

Cool thanks

List is getting deadlier in my hands. My Empire opponent is stymied! He tried rushing me today with Vader some Royal Guard and two Dewbacks.

I focused down the first dewback, finishing it with a late turn 1 charge by sabine. She got a suppression from Cassians order allowing her to move twice via Dauntless.

Vader then sucked her into close combat and also charged her with the remaining dewback Turn 2...she just tanked them both for the rest of the game with dodges and tactical recoveries for personal shield. I was able to kill off the Royals before they could gang up on her because of their rapid reinforcement arrival. Snipers and character pistol shots handled them. I was also able to recover 3 supply tokens and be within pistol range and range to claim middle objective early due to the 'Hemmed In' deployment.

By turn 3, Vader wounded 3 times Guard dead. Sabine with hot saves and a wound restored my meddroid was fresh. Solo running roughshod thru Stormtroopers with aid from Cassian and K2

I only lost one unit of troopers and a sniper Team and he conceded before turn 4. His Numbers dwindling, and Vader/Dewback up against the brick wall named Sabine. Three objectives claimed (cassian, k2, and commandos) to his one Stormtrooper claimed one.

List is really Humming now.

++ Standard (Rebel Alliance) [793 Points] ++

+ Commander +

•Cassian Andor [110 Points]: A280, Offensive Push, Overwatch, Recon Intel

+ Operative +

•K-2SO [80 Points]: •Jyn's SE-14 Blaster†

•Sabine Wren [169 Points]: Electro Grappling Line, Offensive Push, Personal Combat Shield, •The Darksaber

+ Corps +

Rebel Troopers [58 Points]: 2-1B Medical Droid

Rebel Troopers [58 Points]: 2-1B Medical Droid

+ Special Forces +

+ Command Hand +

Command Hand: Sorry About the Mess, •Crack Shot, ••Reckless Diversion, ••Symbol of Rebellion, •••Legacy of Mandalore, •••Volunteer Mission, ••••Standing Orders

+ Battle Cards +

Condition Cards: Clear Conditions, Hostile Environment, Rapid Reinforcements, Supply Drop

Deployment Cards: Battle Lines, Danger Close, Hemmed In, Major Offensive

++ Total: [793 Points]

Edited by Deadshane

BTW...Graffiti is absurd. Like you got time to whip out a can of spraypaint while fighting a Dewback and a Sith Lord in hth! 🤪

44 minutes ago, Deadshane said:

I focused down the first dewback, finishing it with a late turn 1 charge by sabine. She got a suppression from Cassians order allowing her to move twice via Dauntless.

Dauntless doesn't allow you to move twice and attack. Dauntless can only be triggered if the unit is Suppressed . Having one or more suppression tokens is not the same thing as being Suppressed (though it often is). For example, Droids can have suppression tokens, but they cannot be Suppressed. Suppressed means you have suppression equal to or greater than your courage value and can therefore only perform one action. Dauntless allows Sabine to perform a move as a free action for the cost of an additional suppression. So if she is able to trigger Dauntless she can move twice, or move and attack, but not both.

9 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

Dauntless doesn't allow you to move twice and attack. Dauntless can only be triggered if the unit is Suppressed . Having one or more suppression tokens is not the same thing as being Suppressed (though it often is). For example, Droids can have suppression tokens, but they cannot be Suppressed. Suppressed means you have suppression equal to or greater than your courage value and can therefore only perform one action. Dauntless allows Sabine to perform a move as a free action for the cost of an additional suppression. So if she is able to trigger Dauntless she can move twice, or move and attack, but not both.

That ability is pretty good when played correctly. When played incorrectly (as it often is) it is ******* amazing. I hate pointing it out because it can be such a feelbad moment for people.

Dernit....thanks for the clarification though.