Cataclysm Mechanics and Displacement Question

By Deviance69, in Talisman Rules Questions

So we just added Cataclysm to our game and quite a few questions came up that I couldn't find answers to regarding the game mechanics - This also led to a question regarding the Displacement spell - Hoping to get some clarification from people that have played it a lot

I: Scavenger Character

a: Regarding the Scavenger character - On a roll of 1, he is allowed to scavenge the top object card of the Adventure deck discard pile. This went ok a couple times but then someone discarded a Bag of Gold which says to immediately use. The Scav rolled a 1, took the bag of gold since it was an object, turned it in then discarded it. On his next turn he rolled a 1, same thing, take the Bag of Gold, uses and discards. This seems to turn into a cycle where unless someone else has discarded an object, then the same bag of gold (or potion for that matter), is drawn over and over and over, yet the ability on this character clearly states to take the Top object card. Is this correct?

b: Also regarding the Scavenge ability, could they scavenge from Any Adventure discard deck? i.e. City, Woodlands, Dungeon, etc.

II: Remnant cards and board spacing

On the Graveyard, the when the remnant was flipped it was the Haunted Castle place card which. if reading it correctly, remains on that space and players roll for the random effect until someone rolls a 12 and then the card goes to discard. Now, while this "Place" card is on the graveyard, do characters only encounter that card until it goes away, or do they encounter the card and then also encounter the Graveyard Space itself and draw a Denizen card as well? It seemed to me that they would only encounter the Place Card since it is an adventure card, but obviously the Graveyard is a special space where you don't normally draw Adventure cards.

III: Spell Timing (Graveyard Continued)

Regarding the Displacement Spell which allows you to move one faceup adventure card, what exactly is meant by 'cast at the end of your Move'. A player landed on the graveyard, encounters the Haunted Castle by rolling for the result, and then AFTER encountering the card, wanted to displace it to another space to move it off the graveyard since it was still their 'move'. My argument was that the spell had to be cast after the player Moved to the space, but before they encountered that card. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

On 6/15/2020 at 2:51 AM, Deviance69 said:

So we just added Cataclysm to our game and quite a few questions came up that I couldn't find answers to regarding the game mechanics - This also led to a question regarding the Displacement spell - Hoping to get some clarification from people that have played it a lot

I: Scavenger Character

a: Regarding the Scavenger character - On a roll of 1, he is allowed to scavenge the top object card of the Adventure deck discard pile. This went ok a couple times but then someone discarded a Bag of Gold which says to immediately use. The Scav rolled a 1, took the bag of gold since it was an object, turned it in then discarded it. On his next turn he rolled a 1, same thing, take the Bag of Gold, uses and discards. This seems to turn into a cycle where unless someone else has discarded an object, then the same bag of gold (or potion for that matter), is drawn over and over and over, yet the ability on this character clearly states to take the Top object card. Is this correct?

It is correct. Until another object replaces the Bag of Gold as the top object, she may gain 1 gold every time she rolls 1 for movement.

b: Also regarding the Scavenge ability, could they scavenge from Any Adventure discard deck? i.e. City, Woodlands, Dungeon, etc.

Yes. When she is in the Dungeon she scavenges from the Dungeon discard pile and similarly.

II: Remnant cards and board spacing

On the Graveyard, the when the remnant was flipped it was the Haunted Castle place card which. if reading it correctly, remains on that space and players roll for the random effect until someone rolls a 12 and then the card goes to discard. Now, while this "Place" card is on the graveyard, do characters only encounter that card until it goes away, or do they encounter the card and then also encounter the Graveyard Space itself and draw a Denizen card as well? It seemed to me that they would only encounter the Place Card since it is an adventure card, but obviously the Graveyard is a special space where you don't normally draw Adventure cards.

Unless it is a space that instructs you to draw cards (such as the Plains or the Fields..) you encounter the cards on the space first before you encounter the space. You encounter the Haunted Castle, then you encounter the Graveyard.

III: Spell Timing (Graveyard Continued)

Regarding the Displacement Spell which allows you to move one faceup adventure card, what exactly is meant by 'cast at the end of your Move'. A player landed on the graveyard, encounters the Haunted Castle by rolling for the result, and then AFTER encountering the card, wanted to displace it to another space to move it off the graveyard since it was still their 'move'. My argument was that the spell had to be cast after the player Moved to the space, but before they encountered that card. Is this correct?

You were correct.