Begginer's question + full moon expansion

By Bonobo1809, in Talisman

Hi guys, I didn't play Talisman in 4 years now and I reread the instructions but now I see that we've played a bit off the rules. Also there are some things that I just don't remember/know how to Play. I hope you can assist.

I am playing base game with blood moon expansion in Polish, so forgive me if some translations are a bit off the English standard.

1) I struggle with diversifying an enemy, stranger, character and creature. Is every enemy a creature? What's a creature that's not an enemy? Is werewolf a creature?

2) This one relates to the first one - if I'm an elf and I'm in woods, can I evade werewolf?

3) when you're a frog can you collect anything but health and faith? Is frog still treated as a character? Can I attack someone when they're frog?

4) can I use followers at any time in my round if it's not specified otherwise? I mean can I move and open two adventure cards and then take 1, transform it into gold and take another one? Can I use alchemist (followers in general) during someone else's turn?

5) can I cast a spell on the same turn when I acquired it? Let's say I had one spell, I got second and I'm casting second right away. I know I can't cast two because I started my turn with one only

6) some cards say that during the night this enemy has +1 to attack. But that's also what a night does - does it mean it has +2? Or it means that night card doesn't add +1 to all enemies?

7) there is a card called active volcano - it's a place but it doesn't mention that it stays after being used nor that's discarded. What's the default action for places? Does it stay on board even if it is not specified?

😎 does it take one move to go from inner region field to valley of fire and another one from valley to crown? What if I'll lose Talisman while being on the crown?

9) I heard that I have to use one of 3 options in village/city but my version says "you may use x,y or z" is it optional or required to take action? I also heard that theft can rob something from village and then interact with it. Does it work for everyone? Using your character ability doesn't count as interaction?

10) when I'm trying to move from outer region to middle (same with middle to inner) do I have to have +1 move to go through gard/door or is it enough to stand on the field?

I have game night on Saturday and I forgot some of the basics :) I really hope you can help. Thank you in advance

On 6/12/2020 at 12:47 PM, Bonobo1809 said:

Hi guys, I didn't play Talisman in 4 years now and I reread the instructions but now I see that we've played a bit off the rules. Also there are some things that I just don't remember/know how to Play. I hope you can assist.

I am playing base game with blood moon expansion in Polish, so forgive me if some translations are a bit off the English standard.

1) I struggle with diversifying an enemy, stranger, character and creature. Is every enemy a creature? What's a creature that's not an enemy? Is werewolf a creature?

All Enemies are creatures. Everything else you can fight with the exception of characters is a creature (Sentinel, Pit Creatures, Werewolf, ...)

2) This one relates to the first one - if I'm an elf and I'm in woods, can I evade werewolf?

Only if you are attacked, meaning you roll 4 on its sheet.

You may be using the alternative rules from the base rulebook, expanding on what you may evade. Using these, you may evade Werewolf as the Elf in the Woods as soon as it lands on you.

3) when you're a frog can you collect anything but health and faith? Is frog still treated as a character? Can I attack someone when they're frog?

Life and Fate you retain. Spells too but cannot cast them. The Toad is still a Character. You may attack a Toad.

4) can I use followers at any time in my round if it's not specified otherwise? I mean can I move and open two adventure cards and then take 1, transform it into gold and take another one? Can I use alchemist (followers in general) during someone else's turn?

Generally, yes.

5) can I cast a spell on the same turn when I acquired it? Let's say I had one spell, I got second and I'm casting second right away. I know I can't cast two because I started my turn with one only

Yes.

6) some cards say that during the night this enemy has +1 to attack. But that's also what a night does - does it mean it has +2? Or it means that night card doesn't add +1 to all enemies?

The bonuses stack, meaning it receives a +2 bonus.

7) there is a card called active volcano - it's a place but it doesn't mention that it stays after being used nor that's discarded. What's the default action for places? Does it stay on board even if it is not specified?

The Raging Volcano is a Place meaning it remains on the space unless stated otherwise (in this card's case if you roll 5 or 6).

😎 does it take one move to go from inner region field to valley of fire and another one from valley to crown? What if I'll lose Talisman while being on the crown?

If you meant moving from the Werewolf Den or the Pits to the Valley of Fire and then the Crown of Command, that takes two moves meaning two turns. You only need Talisman to enter the Valley of Fire, you do not need on the Crown of Command.

9) I heard that I have to use one of 3 options in village/city but my version says "you may use x,y or z" is it optional or required to take action? I also heard that theft can rob something from village and then interact with it. Does it work for everyone? Using your character ability doesn't count as interaction?

You are required to take action. Meaning if you don't have gold you are stuck with the Mystic. Being a Thief you may steal something while Visiting anyone from the Village.

10) when I'm trying to move from outer region to middle (same with middle to inner) do I have to have +1 move to go through gard/door or is it enough to stand on the field?

Crossing the Sentinel or the Portal of Power is a move so you need to roll enough to move through (for example at least 3 when you start on the Chapel). When your end moves on the Sentinel or the Portal of Power, you just draw a card as the Space says, you continue your movement by crossing them on your next turn if you choose so.

I have game night on Saturday and I forgot some of the basics :) I really hope you can help. Thank you in advance

Thank you very much for your answer! :)