Multiple tokens on one ship clarification

By topacesteve, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hi, just for clarification about multiple tokens of the same type on the same ship :

A. Multiple Reinforce tokens = multiple Damage reduction

B. Multiple Deplete tokens = only -1 Red

C. Multiple Strain tokens = only -1 Green

D. Multiple Tractor Tokens (on Small Base) = only -1 Green

please correct me !!

17 minutes ago, topacesteve said:

Hi, just for clarification about multiple tokens of the same type on the same ship :

A. Multiple Reinforce tokens = multiple Damage reduction

B. Multiple Deplete tokens = only -1 Red

C. Multiple Strain tokens = only -1 Green

D. Multiple Tractor Tokens (on Small Base) = only -1 Green

please correct me !!

This is all correct, just remember that no matter how many Reinforce you have, they reduce to a minimum of 1.

Also yes the “Tractored” state only reduces Green by 1

@Innese covered it flawlessly.

Only thing I'd add is, the number of tractor tokens on a ship of a given size, doesn't specifically matter... it only takes effect if you are at or above the relevant "Tractored" threshold for that size, and then, only once. It doesn't matter if you're a small ship with 2 tractor tokens, or a medium with 4, etc... you roll 1 less defense die, for the round.

21 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

it only takes effect if you are at or above the relevant "Tractored" threshold for that size, and then, only once.

I started to comment yesterday, but decided not to.

But yes. Tractored, Deplete, and Strain are all Binary status effects. They are either on, or they are off. There is no varying amount of value for them. Same goes for another frequently asked question, Obstruction. A shot is either obstructed, or it is not. None of these effects care "how much" of the effect you have, as its not relevant.

I just found this thread and was curious about how I used tractor beam in a match recently. I hit a small ship with 2 tractor tokens and used one on the spot to Barrel roll the ship onto a Proximity Mine but that left one more tractor token on the ship. In the next engagement, the ship was outside of my firing arc (within range 1), but I used the tractor to boost it onto another proximity mine and into my firing arc.

Was that legal to
1. move the ship in the next engagement?
2. move it when it wasn't in my firing arc?

On 8/18/2020 at 5:40 PM, YankeeGuy76 said:

I just found this thread and was curious about how I used tractor beam in a match recently. I hit a small ship with 2 tractor tokens and used one on the spot to Barrel roll the ship onto a Proximity Mine but that left one more tractor token on the ship. In the next engagement, the ship was outside of my firing arc (within range 1), but I used the tractor to boost it onto another proximity mine and into my firing arc.

Was that legal to

You don't spend the tractor token to move the enemy ship. The ship is just "Tractored" as a condition. You cannot move a ship twice. And the Tractor token is orange, so it just go away at the end of round.

On 8/18/2020 at 8:40 AM, YankeeGuy76 said:

Was that legal to

These questions are based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the rules for Tractoring. Just to expand/clarify what alien said above:

A. You do not spend tractor tokens for any effect. "Being Tractored" is a status effect of the game and if you did not retain the tokens after becoming Tractored it could be difficult to keep track of whether it had already affected a particular ship. (Currently the only ship that can lose tractor tokens is the Nantex which uses the restricted talent Ensnare to transfer a tractor token)

B. Since tractor tokens are orange circles you remove ALL tractor tokens during the end step of every round so they do not carry over (except for Ketsu Crew ability). This is stated in RR v1.1.0 on p20 in the Token Colors and Shapes sub-section, while the larger Tokens section starts at the bottom of p19.

C. You perform the tractor movement only the first time a ship becomes Tractored* each round as per the Tractor section also on p20. This means additional tractor tokens after reaching that threshold have no practical effect and it means if a ship starts a round already Tractored (like if Ketsu Crew blocked removal from the previous round) it cannot become Tractored again because it already is Tractored.

*A small base becomes Tractored with just one token, medium with two, and large with three.

D. A ship can become Tractored by special effects that do not require having arc such as Unkar(Quadjumper pilot) who can hand one out to ships at range 0. Most effects are related to having arc although the timing might not be related to attacking.

- Side note about spending tractor tokens:

As of the current Rules Reference (1.1.0) you can not spend them for anything that I am aware of. The idea of spending a tractor token was introduced on the forums as a proposal to reduce their overall power level when the Nantex was released and started abusing Ace ships. The proposed idea was meant to make it that when handing out a tractor token the aggressor had to choose between repositioning the target or reducing their agility, but unable to do both.

I would not be surprised if some groups house-ruled that idea into the game, but ultimately, FFG went a different direction with their fix by introducing the option for the Tractored ship to self rotate while being Tractored. The reasoning given being that it gives the victim some agency in the situation by being able to rotate to a position where they can shoot back against their attacker.