Keyforge: Aether equipment

By Seam, in Genesys

Hello!

As I consider implementing something similar in my setting, can one kind soul who has the book already explain how aether equipment works (maybe in a pm to avoid law conflicts). I remember there was already a post regarding this topic although just a quick overview, but I can't find it with the search function.

Unfortunately the book is still not available here, and I am afraid it will not be for a long time.

Thanks

Basically when you purchase a weapon or armor you buy a base version and add traits that add various qualities and increase or decrease the value of said item. The traits do things like increase range, increase damage, add weapon qualities like burn, blast etc. There are a few traits that require aember consumption to activate that do some crazy things. The armor traits can add a burn effect to your armor, add energy wings for a round or add boost or setback die to social checks. Kind of like the specialty armors that were in Star Wars, but instead of having a bunch of premade options you can customize them to your own liking. It's a really cool system in my opinion.

Where are you at that you won't be able to get it for a while?

10 hours ago, Masablasta said:

Kind of like the specialty armors that were in Star Wars, but instead of having a bunch of premade options you can customize them to your own liking. It's a really cool system in my opinion.

I better get this soon then. I was already doing this in Star Wars.

Edit: Is it something easily adapted for other Genesys settings? As in, can it be used for a fantasy setting?

Edited by Sturn
15 hours ago, Sturn said:

Edit: Is it something easily adapted for other Genesys settings? As in, can it be used for a fantasy setting?

I don’t see why not. You could definitely use it to make magic items. Just need to find a replacement for aember on some of them. The traits that require it could end up being overpowered if they don’t.

15 minutes ago, Masablasta said:

I don’t see why not. You could definitely use it to make magic items. Just need to find a replacement for aember on some of them. The traits that require it could end up being overpowered if they don’t.

Ok I think I understand better. I thought it was some sort of mod system.

I live in Germany, and I hope to get the book soon, as it is exactly what I was looking for. I am not that much interested in the Setting, but aether equipment sounds very interesting.

Edit: Does a starting character have aether from the get-go, and is the item "finished" during creation, or does a character find aether later during adventures and can modify the item?

Edited by Seam

I definitely want to find a good idea for replacing the Aember in a fantasy setting. I know Terrinoth has the runes people can find, Warhammer has warpstone, etc.

Exactly,, Batman!

A few of the careers start with 1 aember, it’s a resource that is found on the crucible though. Once you create the item it’s finished, but can be modified with mods to hard points. You could probably homebrew the ability to upgrade with aember later.