Rough (And I mean VERY rough) initial Rebel build.

By deogg, in Army Building

I'm just now getting to the Rebels for Legion, and I have juuuuuuuuuust enough to get an 800 point build. When I put in the title that it's a rough build, I definitely mean ROUGH lol. Anyhow, with my meager purchases for the Rebels, here it is:

Han Solo (120 + 14 = 134)
--Aggressive Tactics (10), Duck and Cover (4)

Leia Organa (90 + 15 = 105)
--Esteemed Leader (5), Improvised Orders (10)

Chewbacca (95 + 18 = 113)
--Hunter (6), Emergency Stims (12)

Luke Skywalker (Operative) (200 + 31 = 231)
--Saber Throw (5), Force Guidance (10), Force Reflexes (10), Endurance (6)

Rebel Veterans (48 + 42 = 90)
--CM-O93 Trooper (26), Rebel Veteran (12), Targeting Scopes (4)

Rebel Veterans (48 + 0 = 48)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 34 = 74)
--MPL-57 Ion Trooper (24), Rebel Trooper (10)

Commands:
Sabotaged Communications (1), Sorry About the Mess (1), My Ally Is the Force (2), Brains and Brawn (2), Return of the Jedi (3), Somebody Has to Save Our Skins (3), Standing Orders (4)

Deployments: Major Offensive, Disarray, Battle Lines, The Long March
Objectives: Sabotage the Moisture Vaporators, Key Positions, Intercept the Transmissions, Breakthrough
Conditions: Rapid Reinforcements, Limited Visibility, Clear Conditions, Fortified Positions

The Command Cards and Battle Plans are also very roughly planned (if at all).

But yeah, like I said, it's a very very rough draft. If you guys and gals can think of any tweaks (bonus points if I don't have to go out and buy anything else hehe), that'd be great!

Wow. This is an interesting list for sure. A few things come to mind to begin with.

7 activations isn't a lot. You'll likely be getting out-activated by most lists.

A pair of Commanders and a pair of operatives means your command cards are gonna be... a mixed bag. You're going to be stuck not using most of the cards that are available to the commanders/operatives which is gonna hamper some of their ability to affect the game while also potentially hurting your activation control.

While understanding your collection limit, 3 trooper squads probably isn't gonna get it done for you my fellow. You'll have a tough time in most game types and it won't be too tough to focus down at least 1 or more of your squads.

I'd probably drop the Rebel Trooper Upgrade, Rebel Veteran Upgrade and Targeting Scopes (or a combination of some of the character's) upgrades to grab another CM-O93 on the second veteran squad. The dice are very meh but the Critical 2 is huge. That'll help out against any armour you face because right now all you've got - other than the first CM-O93 - is basically Operative Luke and the Rebel Trooper's Ion gun.

For other upgrades. I'd drop aggressive tactics on Han. You've only got 2 orders you can use it on for Han (not including Standing Orders) and they only affect one unit so you're going to net maximum 3 surge tokens from it. Not worth the points. I'd get rid of force guidance on Luke as well. He's only got Master of the Force 1 so you won't get to refresh both Guidance and Reflexes for free and you're gonna want the reflexes for the dodge for deflect. Esteemed leader on Leia may be unnecessary as you don't really have guys to guardian her with; you need them to win the game for you.

For command cards, I feel like you need to figure out who you want to do what with, otherwise it's a toss up.

For Battle Cards, get rid of Rapid Reinforcements. If your opponent drops a couple squads in your backfield you likely wont be able to combat them. You also won't be able to make a net (spread your squads out to create a range-2 web to deny enemy deployment) to defend against it. Long March will also cause you problems. Your army isn't fast enough to cover the distance nor long ranged enough to win the shootout. Sabotage The Moisture Vaporators will be tough as well. I'd just take recover the supplies and send Chewie to grab them and tank.

Just my initial thoughts.

Yeah, like I said.....VERY rough hehe.

It was basically a case of having this stuff and seeing if I could actually get to an 800 point build. The good news is that I can......but boy, does it need work lol.

3 minutes ago, deogg said:

Yeah, like I said.....VERY rough hehe.

It was basically a case of having this stuff and seeing if I could actually get to an 800 point build. The good news is that I can......but boy, does it need work lol.

Haha. I feel like this list would be a blast to play with/against though. I would have no idea what command was coming next.

19 hours ago, deogg said:

Before I make any suggestions, am I right in assuming that you might have another squad of Rebel Troopers to work with?

Do you have any Mark II blasters? If so I'd drop a character or 2 to get those in the list. If not then I think I would try to add more bodies to the squads, specifically an extra rebel veteran and CM trooper, by cutting upgrades. The model count is pretty low, though I'm sure you knew that was the case going in. Still, best to get as many boots on the table as you can given your constraints.

You can cut hunter, emergency stims, aggressive tactics, esteemed leader, force guidance and targeting scopes, to give you some points to play with.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, Cruzer said:

Before I make any suggestions, am I right in assuming that you might have another squad of Rebel Troopers to work with?

Not yet, no. Just the troopers that came in the Core Set. I DO gotta track down one trooper..........one of my Core Set troopers came with no arms LOL

9 hours ago, deogg said:

Not yet, no. Just the troopers that came in the Core Set. I DO gotta track down one trooper..........one of my Core Set troopers came with no arms LOL

If you have a Core Set then you DO have a second unit of Rebel Troopers. That's why he was assuming it. For your poor armless dude, the Rebel Trooper upgrade packs comes with a few of extra arms since you can equip the Heavy Weapons with regular rifles instead, so maybe try that.

10 hours ago, deogg said:

Well, assuming you've got two Rebel Trooper squads handy, I'd suggest the following changes. I mainly left the DOC cards alone and focused on bringing the activations up to 8, dropping less useful upgrades, and changing up your commands (not a ton, just some that I thought would work a little better. Quite honestly, if you're running any heavy weapons with "Critical", you don't need targeting scopes on Rebel Corps because most of the time at least something is getting through. You also really don't need much in the way of surge tokens because half the time they become useless to rebels once a unit's turn is over (better to keep the points for more useful upgrades such as Force Push). Given the fact that you're using both OP Luke and Chewbacca, I think it's safe to say Han and Leia are going to be targeted last out of your hero units; so I threw in Reckless Diversion to give you one turn where the enemy won't be able to target your melee units and likely focus fire on ones that haven't been touched yet.

Feel free to answer with any questions! :)

Han Solo (120 + 4 = 124)
--Duck and Cover (4)

Leia Organa (90 + 5 = 95)
--Esteemed Leader (5)

Chewbacca (95 + 10 = 105)
--Tenacity (4), Hunter (6)

Luke Skywalker (Operative) (200 + 29 = 229)
--Saber Throw (5), Force Reflexes (10), Force Push (10), Tenacity (4)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 36 = 76)
--DLT-20A Trooper (26), Rebel Trooper (10)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 0 = 40)

Rebel Veterans (48 + 30 = 78)
--CM-O93 Trooper (26), Offensive Push (4)

Commands:
Sorry About the Mess (1), Common Cause (1), My Ally Is the Force (2), Reckless Diversion (2), Return of the Jedi (3), Somebody Has to Save Our Skins (3), Standing Orders (4)

Deployments: Major Offensive, The Long March, Disarray, Battle Lines
Objectives: Sabotage the Moisture Vaporators, Key Positions, Intercept the Transmissions, Breakthrough
Conditions: Rapid Reinforcements, Limited Visibility, Clear Conditions, Fortified Positions

On 6/7/2020 at 9:58 PM, deogg said:

Han Solo (120 + 14 = 134) i'd try to keep him cheap because he's usually going to die, even with Chewbacca. The Surge token doesn't help Chewie that much so saving on points may be the best option. You've got to choose which 1 pips you want as well. I think SoS is too good to leave out but that's just me. Having multiple scary units/options coming at you is what's going to keep these guys alive or make the list work if it's going to.
-- Aggressive Tactics or Improvised Orders (10), Duck and Cover (4)

Leia Organa (90 ) Keep her cheap and pass out tokens to Chewie via Han and Luke. Let her take her pot-shots only if it won't get her killed or if she needs to kill something with her pierce/sharpshooter.

Chewbacca (95 + 12 = 107)
Emergency Stims (12)

Luke Skywalker (Operative) (200 + 21 = 221)
--Saber Throw (5), Force Reflexes (10), H unter or Off Push (6)

Rebel Veterans (48 + 42 = 90)
--CM-O93 Trooper (26), Rebel Veteran (12), Targeting Scopes (4) I'd play with this. They aren't going to have commands/dodge tokens very often unless you give them Uplink, you may just keep them cheap or add the turret gun

Rebel Troopers (40)

Rebel Troopers (40) Sneaking in some extra activations is going to help in the long game for grabbing objectives or giving you control after the big guys knock some units out.
Commands:
Son of Skywalker (1), Sorry About the Mess (1), My Ally Is the Force (2), Brains and Brawn (2), Return of the Jedi (3), Somebody Has to Save Our Skins (3), Standing Orders (4)

Brain before Brawn is hard to use I think, No time for sorrows is more useful I believe. If you reallly want the surges, you could give leia the aggressive tactics

13 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

If you have a Core Set then you DO have a second unit of Rebel Troopers. That's why he was assuming it. For your poor armless dude, the Rebel Trooper upgrade packs comes with a few of extra arms since you can equip the Heavy Weapons with regular rifles instead, so maybe try that.

Great to know. Thanks, man!

Thanks for all the great input thus far, everyone! See, when it comes to Legion, the Empire is my jam, that's the faction I focus on. The Rebels, as far as a build goes, it doesn't have to set the world on fire, it just has to work. You guys got me well on my way to that!