Landing Struts/Grappling Struts

By Cpt ObVus, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I just want to make sure my group is playing these correctly... when you move through (but do not land on) an obstacle with Landing (or Grappling) Struts, you can’t just flip the card to avoid the damage, correct? The way I read it, you must actually end the movement on an obstacle in order to flip the card. Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I just want to make sure my group is playing these correctly... when you move through (but do not land on) an obstacle with Landing (or Grappling) Struts, you can’t just flip the card to avoid the damage, correct? The way I read it, you must actually end the movement on an obstacle in order to flip the card. Thanks!

Config_StrutsClosed.png Swz41_landing-struts-closed.png

Capture.png

and

Capture.png

moving through is not the same thing as overlapping. overlapping only happens if the final position of the ship would be on top of another object. so no, you cannot flip your struts to avoid the effects of obstacles unless you end your maneuver on top of an obstacle. you cannot land without something to land on - and you cannot grapple without something to grapple, even in space. or at least droids can't. maybe humans can grapple themselves, but that wouldn't let them ignore obstacles.

also, this excellent flowchart was constructed by @emeraldbeacon

unknown.png

8 hours ago, meffo said:

also, this excellent flowchart was constructed by @emeraldbeacon

Oh, that one's well out of date... 😉

96707314_3285061961526370_70894890985822

Some interesting things to note:

1. Even if you fly through more than one obstacle on your turn, as long as you land on an asteroid or debris, you can open your struts and ignore ALL of the obstacle effects for the round.
  2. If you start with your struts open, you will always ignore obstacle effects during your maneuver (or rotation).
Edited by emeraldbeacon

You are doing the Lord's work @emeraldbeacon . Way to be, awesome. The few flowcharts of your's that I have seen have been very helpful.

Hi there. Can you reload the latest version for the flowchart? It’s no longer in this threat, on my end at least. Thx.

13 hours ago, Slade said:

Hi there. Can you reload the latest version for the flowchart? It’s no longer in this threat, on my end at least. Thx.

Hmm. I need a more stable place to upload it, then... (rubs chin) ...let's try imgur?

4w4lO61.jpg

Edited by emeraldbeacon