Can I use a special and primary attack on the same turn

By PokemonRegicedkkd, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hello , I have been playing f or some time with two b wi ngs (though I am still a new player) and stocking them up w ith heavy laser cannon, adv. proton torpedoes, and ion cannon. I read yesterday in the paper core set rules that” a ship can perform an attack with a special weapon instead of its primary weapon”. Then today I looked at the online rules and saw this,”Special weapons appear as “attack:” headers in card text. They provide additional types of attacks other than a ship’s primary weapon(s).”. Can I perform both a primary and special attack? May i do more than one special attack? May I perform a primary then multiple special attacks? Thanks

On 6/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, PokemonRegicedkkd said:

Hello , I have been playing f or some time with two b wi ngs (though I am still a new player) and stocking them up w ith heavy laser cannon, adv. proton torpedoes, and ion cannon. I read yesterday in the paper core set rules that” a ship can perform an attack with a special weapon instead of its primary weapon”. Then today I looked at the online rules and saw this,”Special weapons appear as “attack:” headers in card text. They provide additional types of attacks other than a ship’s primary weapon(s).”. Can I perform both a primary and special attack? May i do more than one special attack? May I perform a primary then multiple special attacks? Thanks

Follow the golden rule of X-wing. If it doesnt say you can, then no, you cannot.

Rules References:
Page 11 Engagment phase - When a ship engages, it may perform an attack . (ie, one attack)

This means when a ship engages, it is granted one attack.

Then, during an attack.

Page 4 Attack - b. Choose Weapon : The attacking player chooses one of the attacker’s primary or special weapons.

as for multiple attacks.

Page 6 Bonus Attack - If a card instructs a ship to perform a bonus attack, it performs an additional attack during the Aftermath step.

• A ship can perform only one bonus attack per round .

The only ship (So far) that ignores this rule (and it says as much in its rules section) are Huge ships.

TL:DR - You follow the main rules. Abilities must specifically state they override a rule in order for it to happen. So if you have no abilities on your ship that say you can perform a bonus attack, then you cannot perform a 2nd attack.

Thank you very much. This helps a lot

On 6/2/2020 at 6:18 AM, PokemonRegicedkkd said:

Can I perform both a primary and special attack?

The Hotshots and Aces card pack comes with a configuration card that enables primary+cannon attacks (with limitations)

340?cb=20191223184723

That's a B-wing specific upgrade to get both attacks, but there's other upgrades for other ships that allow bonus attacks (mostly for turrets).

Thank you

Normally no. BUT there are certain upgrades or mods you may get, that MAY allow it..

Such as in 1st edition, the Y-wing had the BTL-A4 title, that locked the Y'wings turret in the forward arc, allowed you to shoot it AND your primary guns as well.

That’s cool. Thank you. 😁

Glad to help.

Hi this has me confused now. I thought if you took veteran turret gunner you could do two attacks? So is that the bonus attack you mean?

On 10/10/2020 at 3:49 AM, Roenick said:

Hi this has me confused now. I thought if you took veteran turret gunner you could do two attacks? So is that the bonus attack you mean?

Veteran turret gunner is the bonus attack.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:49 AM, Roenick said:

Rule reference pg 33

Yes. Anything that permits an attack outside of the standard attack allowed to a ship when it engages is a bonus attack.