Possibly stupid Clone Wars era question regarding astromechs.

By Harlock999, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

OK, so we know the Jedi use R2 units (despite designations that begin with "R4" or" R7" or whatnot) in their starfighters...

But have we ever seen or read anything that finds the Jedi used the occasional R5 or R4 units in these same fighters?

I cannot seem to locate any images of R5 units in Jedi fighters, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. Or maybe R5 (and R4) units were only allowed in ARC-170s and other non-Jedi starships?

Anyway, if anyone has read some new material, some older EU works, or have run across some pics dealing with this stuff? Please share. I'm really interested to find the answer.

Thanks!

R4-P17 (Obi-Wan's astromech) was an R4 unit that had its dome replaced by Anakin when it was damaged at some point.
I believe this is old Legends, something I picked up from a visual dictionary at some point.

Also, D-Squad had some of those coneheads, and didn't they all belong to Jedi? Presumably, they'd have operated their fighters, but I don't think we saw any of those Jedis' starfighters or droids ever again.

I think it's a case of the more granular lore people assigning the R2–7 designations to specific dome types, the movie designers using whatever looked good and giving them random number/names, then the lore folk trying to retcon that back into their framework.

I say, use what you want and have fun with it. When my players run across a random astromech, I roll a d8 to determine which type it is, then flavor from there.

Would you think it would be tough to see over the R4 or R5 unit, specifically in one of The Clone Wars-style Jedi starfighters with the astromech plugged in directly in front of the pilot's cockpit?

I'm with you in saying let the players use what droid they want... But, again, I'm just a bit concerned over the actual practicality of using the R4/R5 over the R2/R3.

If I could find just one picture or one passage that shows astro droids other than R2 units being used, it sure would help ease my mind.

5 hours ago, Harlock999 said:

Would you think it would be tough to see over the R4 or R5 unit, specifically in one of The Clone Wars-style Jedi starfighters with the astromech plugged in directly in front of the pilot's cockpit?

I'm with you in saying let the players use what droid they want... But, again, I'm just a bit concerned over the actual practicality of using the R4/R5 over the R2/R3.

If I could find just one picture or one passage that shows astro droids other than R2 units being used, it sure would help ease my mind.

As long as it is not the tall cone astromech i dont think it matters that much.