Episodic Multiple Characters Per Player Clone Wars Campaign

By yoink101, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I’m going to run a clone wars campaign inspired by the show and the idea (I think it’s present in rise of the separatists, but I can’t remember for sure) of the players each having two characters in two different groups. Specifically a party of Jedi seeking out the dark side in the conflict, and a squad of ARC Troopers who are fighting the separatists more directly. It is a group with players who are pretty new to rpgs and brand new to this system. With that in mind, I have two questions:

1) Has anyone run a campaign like that before? Any sage advice? Especially around the idea of differentiating characters in two groups of very similar archetypes?

2) The Jedi are going to begin the game as Padawans traveling to Ilum to get their lightsaber crystals. I want to use this session as something of a tutorial level for everyone. My idea is to include some chances for basic skill checks and interactions based on the things that each player builds their character to be good at. Do you have any ideas for quick encounters (mostly non combat) that could be used to let the players learn the system and figure out the stuff they need?

Thank you all in advance!

I'm a player in such a campaign, and several of us have, just through circumstance, ended up with more than two characters.

At campaign's start, we each had a Republic and Separatist character. (The campaign is leaning on the "heroes on both sides" idea.) Although the two groups of characters have not directly encountered each other, their actions influence what the other encounters. (Ex: The Separatist group was given a mission to allow the CIS to seize control of an Ithorian herd ship. The CIS used the herd ship as a "shield" for one of their battle groups, and the Republic group had to infiltrate and the herd ship and retake it.) As the campaign has progressed, my Jedi Knight character has been joined by a clone sergeant character that I control. (This began as the GM having me control what began as an NPC clone sergeant while my Jedi was in a different location, so I just made him a PC.) My son, whose Republic character was my Jedi's Padawan, found himself essentially filling Anakin's role as the GM adapted the original Clone Wars micro-series Battle of Muunilinst, and has both a clone co-pilot and a clone medic character on the side.

When it comes to similar archetypes, as with any campaign, it comes down to personality and how the players/characters progress. Especially in a Clone Wars setting, there's no problem with having similar character concepts. It's almost to be expected in a Clone Wars setting, and no two players are going to grow their characters the same way, even if they start off from the same spot.

If you are doing clone wars I would limit the number of Jedi/force users in each group. Let different people have a chance to play the different roles or popular careers.

These are best when the characters stories tie in together, but is not required.

19 hours ago, damnkid3 said:

If you are doing clone wars I would limit the number of Jedi/force users in each group. Let different people have a chance to play the different roles or popular careers.

These are best when the characters stories tie in together, but is not required.

I have played in and run a lot of really interesting and fun games where we have mixed parties. There’s something about this setting that doesn’t quite work for me though. I think it’s because of the way Jedi are portrayed in most movies, shows, comics, and games. With experience point costs, force powers end up costing about as much as half a specialization tree. Which means that your party with a Jedi Knight who has picked up a reasonable level in enhance and move is paired with the most badass clone soldier-veteran-arc trooper who has ever walked the galaxy. I want to give the players a chance to shine as Jedi, but still have some of the grittier fighting of clone troopers.