Power Of The Earth Dragon

By welldressedgent, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

"Extra endurance equal to your earth ring for one round."

This appears to be a very weak invocation. Is there a point to having it?

Allows your target defend themselves so the next strike isn't a critical, if they would have been incapacitated otherwise. Plus you can extend it for the scene.

Courage Of The Seven Thunders looks better: increases composure and endurance for a full scene at TN2 + 1 *.

Multiple targets and this invocation is level 1. I see no reason to ever choose Earth Dragon when I can have COST instead.

wdg

I agree that it is strangely underpowered, it looks like the technique had other features that were removed. Probably a healing effect, since the 1x/scene part is typical for healing.

1 hour ago, Harzerkatze said:

I agree that it is strangely underpowered, it looks like the technique had other features that were removed. Probably a healing effect, since the 1x/scene part is typical for healing.

Having an errata wherein it removes some fatigue would be a nice bonus.

To be fair, it scales with bonus successes, which CoST doesn't, although even if you reduce the TN etc, is not going to be a lot for a TN 4 invocation.

Honestly though, it looks more like CoST is from an early draft: It's the only instance I can think of, where the strife symbol is used to refer to strife someone already has and its two opp effect makes no sense. It already targets any number of characters in range, what's the use of "targets all friendlies instead"?

Stacking CoST + Earth Dragon might be worthwhile, up at rank 4 maybe. Like Hida says, it does have some utility.

wdg

I can confirm the beta version also had 1-cost opportunities which increased physical resistance of targets by 1, and allowed you to add more targets.

But yes, it's largely worse than Courage of Seven Thunders unless you are able to get a load of bonus successes (generally meaning TN-reducing effects or a load of channelling).

On 5/30/2020 at 11:45 PM, Myrion said:

It already targets any number of characters in range, what's the use of "targets all friendlies instead"?

The number of targets is normally 'up to your earth ring'

Oops, I missed that, thanks.