Travel descent!?!?

By HellBoundOL, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I was out camping over the Holiday weekend, an sittin in camp with nothing to do but drink some beers float on the river an BBQ, had an idea for a compact descent game, something on the lines of fold able maps mini plastic character cards, mini Ol cards an monster tokens....... whats do you guys think of this idea, and what would really work if they actually did it?

I believe many of us Descent players own a car, so carrying around a complete set for a road trip or weekend getaway is no problem at all, however big or heavy it is.

The main problem is probably going to be the playtime... Its surely gonna take looooong. Even if u hav time for it, den it would defeat the purpose of camping outside or even going on road trips becoz the fun is no longer the original outdoor purpose, but rather has shifted to the boardgame (which can be played more comfortably at home or at a fren's place)

My own gaming group and I enjoy going to 3 day chalets where we hide in the apartment all day long(for 3 whole days) playing Descent, ever constantly descending deeper and deeper into the dark pits of Descent addiction.

But when we go on wkend camps and road trips, boardgames like Descent are strictly prohibited. We are supposed to focus on the fun outdoors during those times. This way, we hav a healthy balance of lifestyle in all aspects :P

By the way, this is solely my feeble opinion. Of coz u hav point about a lighter and more compact Descent set, but I alwaez prefer epic sized games :D (even if traveling out)

Get some small magnets (can be found at hobby-places) and experiment with materials for the board, so that you can stick things on properly. Magnets are an essential part of any travel game.

I think a hilarious "travel Descent" would be a regular copy of the game where the cards are laminated, the tiles are replaced with magnetic sheets and print-outs of the images stuck to them, and all the figures have little magnets inset in their bases. Obviously not practical but the gag value would be endless. =D

Not to mention that a case full of such sheets would be both bulletproof and an excellent melee weapon should wild muggers spawn from the shadows.

Honn said:

Not to mention that a case full of such sheets would be both bulletproof and an excellent melee weapon should wild muggers spawn from the shadows.

Descent camping rule #1- don't forget to keep up your LoS!

That's why I always bring extra rats with me whenever I'm forced to go out into the world. You can never be too careful.