Aeronautica Imperialis: Flight Command Launched

By kris40k, in X-Wing Off-Topic

header.jpg?t=1590685407

Its not quite X-Wing, but may interest a few folks here

Dang, imagine an X-Wing game like this.

It has fairly mediocre reviews so far.

3 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

It has fairly mediocre reviews so far.

Yeah, at the time I'm writing this, there are 16 reviews on Steam and its at a "Mixed" average. I've only watched people play it myself, but it seems the majority of the complaints are:

• lack of content
  • lack of matchmaking / friends-list required multiplayer

Both of those I think are legit complaints. Content wise, the actual Aeronautica Imperialis tabletop is kind of at Wave 1 of 1st Edition X-Wing stage with two factions and a handful of ships. The video game doesn't have a lot of content to draw from yet. They need more ships, more factions, and asap. They do have different scenarios, which is honestly more than X-Wing's typical (6/200) deathmatch play that kept the game going for years (not forgetting the recent additions of the environment cards to X-Wing). They need more ships and more factions, but need Games Workshop to step up and deliver on that side of things, first. I don't think the solo campaigns are meant to be the main selling point of this game, as its supposed to be a competitive game; they are sort of introductory things.

The matchmaking limitation is a legit complaint that needs to be corrected. If you produce a game that's main selling point is as a competitive board game instead of solo campaign play, you need to be able to find matches easily. This needs to be fixed first.

Customization of the squadron is another common complaint, which is understandable coming from 40k fans where modeling is a large portion of the draw to the hobby, but its not game-breaking.

Edited by kris40k
On 5/29/2020 at 11:19 AM, kris40k said:

Yeah, at the time I'm writing this, there are 16 reviews on Steam and its at a "Mixed" average. I've only watched people play it myself, but it seems the majority of the complaints are:

• lack of content
  • lack of matchmaking / friends-list required multiplayer

Both of those I think are legit complaints. Content wise, the actual Aeronautica Imperialis tabletop is kind of at Wave 1 of 1st Edition X-Wing stage with two factions and a handful of ships. The video game doesn't have a lot of content to draw from yet. They need more ships, more factions, and asap. They do have different scenarios, which is honestly more than X-Wing's typical (6/200) deathmatch play that kept the game going for years (not forgetting the recent additions of the environment cards to X-Wing). They need more ships and more factions, but need Games Workshop to step up and deliver on that side of things, first. I don't think the solo campaigns are meant to be the main selling point of this game, as its supposed to be a competitive game; they are sort of introductory things.

The matchmaking limitation is a legit complaint that needs to be corrected. If you produce a game that's main selling point is as a competitive board game instead of solo campaign play, you need to be able to find matches easily. This needs to be fixed first.

Customization of the squadron is another common complaint, which is understandable coming from 40k fans where modeling is a large portion of the draw to the hobby, but its not game-breaking.

I did see Tau is coming in next week but yeah, that's just not much content yet.