Need a unique droid personality

By Tyberius_Deangelo, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hi Everyone,

I am working on an outline for a new Star Wars game and I am having trouble developing a droid personality for the group's sidekick. I want to try and develop something unique that we haven't seen in the Star Wars universe. We have R2-D2 and BB-8 who are the loyal, adventurous and heroic types, C3-PO is the more cautious and cowardly type, and Chopper is the old and cranky droid in Rebels. I am thinking about having my group interact with a newly built droid who will grow and mature as the games progress. It will be more of a "baby" in terms of personality and will evolve by how the party acts. Does anyone have suggestions on different droid personalities I could use?

If you have Special Modifications, it has a table of droid personalities in the section on droid crafting, both positive and negative.

You could also look at the movie chappie for how a Droid personality is molded and effected by its surroundings and experiences

Have you chosen a model yet? Or a type at least?

Crime droid. Looks at anything as an opportunity to swindle, steal, con, etc.

7 minutes ago, Stan Fresh said:

Perhaps kleptomaniac. Takes various and sundry item from the PCs, squirreling them away in a hidey-hole somewhere.

(I've got a kleptomanic labour droid side-kick in my current campaign, lol!)

What about a very brave and heroic, always-punching-above-their-weight, side-kick? Beep-boop-beepetybopp! = "I'll save you, mi'lord! That rancor hasn't got nothing on my mighty zapper!" <--would get the players in all kinds of trouble

4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Perhaps kleptomaniac. Takes various and sundry item from the PCs, squirreling them away in a hidey-hole somewhere.

Gotta be careful there. Few things set off players' thirst for vengeance as getting their PCs' gear nicked.

29 minutes ago, Stan Fresh said:

Gotta be careful there. Few things set off players' thirst for vengeance as getting their PCs' gear nicked.

Only if the players can't distinguish between themselves and their characters 😛

But yeah... you could always make the klepto-droid be loayal and trusthworthy around the PCs, yet pilfer various NPCs' stash through the game, causing all kinds of delicious trouble!

What about a prima donna valley girl type?

6 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

If you have Special Modifications, it has a table of droid personalities in the section on droid crafting, both positive and negative.

I don't have this sourcebook, but I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

5 hours ago, MaxXIII said:

Have you chosen a model yet? Or a type at least?

No, I am open to any kind of droid. Is there a sourcebook available for the droid options?

5 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

Interesting idea! It might work for the type of campaign I am planning set during the time of Order 66 and the rise of the Empire. A droid that is morally ambiguous......may be something to think about.

30 minutes ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

No, I am open to any kind of droid. Is there a sourcebook available for the droid options?

No. There are various droids in various sourcebooks, but no single sourcebook for droids. The closest would be Special Modifications and Fully Operational. They both have statted droids available for purchase, but Special Modifications has rules for droid crafting, hence the personality chart.

Sadly, with the current situation, it will be hard to acquire either of those books, especially Special Modifications which is in high demand.

Maybe there is a list of known Droids somewhere on wookieepedia? You might have to Stat them yourself.

Or maybe browse through the fan content. I don't think anyone made something dedicated to droids, but the rebels Sourcebook might have some fitting your time line.

5 hours ago, MaxXIII said:

Maybe there is a list of known Droids somewhere on wookieepedia? You might have to Stat them yourself.

That list is very long.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:35 PM, angelman2 said:

What about a very brave and heroic, always-punching-above-their-weight, side-kick? Beep-boop-beepetybopp! = "I'll save you, mi'lord! That rancor hasn't got nothing on my mighty zapper!" <--would get the players in all kinds of trouble

Don Quixote as a droid sidekick! Perfect!

On 5/25/2020 at 5:48 PM, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Here's a good link to a site to find most of the FFG Star Wars rules. This one links to the Droid programming rules specifically.

https://eote.bgsemc.com/rules/crafting#spending_droid_programming_results

Edited by immortalfrieza
On 5/26/2020 at 3:11 AM, Balorna said:

What about a prima donna valley girl type?

I like this idea. Make it kind of look like ME 9D9 from TFA... maybe some more curves. Have it be a "her" and have her assume everyone is stunned by her looks and charm. Maybe like Miss Piggy--- and then going off that, make her actually pretty tough when she is offended. M155-PG. (Miss Peejee?)

Haha. This is a pretty stupid idea, but I'm stuck in enforced quarantine and going a bit batty.

In one of our current games we have a mouse droid who is actually pretty tough and sneaky named MID-77 that they call EM AI DEE-- "Mighty". (like Mighty Mouse). Silly and fun. Adds a bit of needed levity.

11 hours ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

I like this idea. Make it kind of look like ME 9D9 from TFA... maybe some more curves. Have it be a "her" and have her assume everyone is stunned by her looks and charm. Maybe like Miss Piggy--- and then going off that, make her actually pretty tough when she is offended. M155-PG. (Miss Peejee?)

Haha. This is a pretty stupid idea, but I'm stuck in enforced quarantine and going a bit batty.

In one of our current games we have a mouse droid who is actually pretty tough and sneaky named MID-77 that they call EM AI DEE-- "Mighty". (like Mighty Mouse). Silly and fun. Adds a bit of needed levity.

I love puns and hiding Easter eggs in my characters and stories, and frankly, I like the direction you are taking my idea.

5 minutes ago, Balorna said:

I love puns and hiding Easter eggs in my characters and stories, and frankly, I like the direction you are taking my idea.

I, however, am often irked by how every single droid has an alpha-numeric name that just so happens to make a word. Like the PATRIOT act or the CARES act, but worse, since it's supposed to be random!

Hrmph. Where're the HZ-24s?

<_<

(sorry, browsing SWSheets has led to the realization that everyone wants a Force-using Mando or a droid with a calculator-speak name)

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt