4 Death Troopers?

By Atromix, in Army Building

I'm just wondering how viable would a list maxing out SF slots and using Krennic to bring 4 squads of DTs would be. My FLGS finally got them in stock and ever since Rouge One they have been one of my favourite aspects of the Empire. I just want to find out if a list using 4 squads would be viable. I'm not too concerned if it isn't super competitive, I just don't want to play anything that will fall apart before me or something that is completely un-fun for my opponent to play against. What's everyone's thoughts on this? Any list suggestions?

Rule of cool wins. If you love them, then take them.

I think you'll miss some of the activations you used to have.

Or you'll end up skimping on the heavy weapons on several units. There are times where 2 units felt redumdant.

I'd start at 2 and then see if you can squeeze one more in before i went straight to 4. Or practice playing without the DLT.

Played against a 4 DT army one game and my opponent was testing out Iden Versio and the round he played Tactical Strike, the tide completely turned on the battle. Iden issued an order to 3 of the DT and Krennic issued it to the last one and can I tell you, I still have nightmares about four Death Troopers with steady...It's truly horrifying. Aside from that one turn, the four DT also kept up an insane fire line that was so hard to break through. Thought this army would have a low amount of activations they ended up fitting 9 units which is low, but It was able to contest for objectives very well. When Iden officially comes out I feel like this army will be used a lot it's so powerful and incredibly fun

I've seen games where the red defense dice don't show up. I would be afraid of that because it only has to happen a couple times at thw beginning to ruin your strength. I would want to squeeze in some cheap med-droids on shore or storm troopers.

Based on the feedback from others I'd say the answer to your question is that such a list would be sub-optimal but very usable. Probably pretty fun to play with and against, as it is not something commonly seen.

You have to go with naked stormies if you want to run 4. It can be very competitive but it does take multiple games to practice. Here is my current list that is very powerful:

Director Orson Krennic
Stormtroopers
Stormtroopers
Stormtroopers
Stormtroopers
Stormtroopers
Imperial Death Troopers (DLT-19D Trooper, Overwatch, E-11D Grenade Launcher Config)
Imperial Death Troopers (DLT-19D Trooper, Overwatch, E-11D Grenade Launcher Config)

You have to front load with the stormies. Play the DTs more conservative than you might with other teams. They are your only real source of damage. DONT shoot with the storms, just get into melee and beat down rebs and droids. Storms even beat clones toe to toe most times since they have surge to hit. Use the storms to tie up pieces that can easily harm your DTs or to gain objectives. It is not the most competitive army, but it can be if you practice it.

Edited by weebaer