Unarmed Combat rules clarification question

By angelman2, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hey all 😄

So, I have a couple of questions. Let’s take it from the beginning.

Unarmed combat has the following game stats:
Unarmed Combat : SKILL Brawl; RNG Engage; CRIT 5; SPECIAL Disorient 1, Knockdown, attacker choose to deal either Strain or Wound damage.

Also, Brawl weapons augment the basic Unarmed Combat stats instead of replacing them.

Right? Right. Questions:

1.Stun Damage Quality Weapons

So, I found this Brawl Weapon in Gadgets & Gear

Backhand Shock Gloves : SKILL Brawl; RNG Engage; DMG +1; CRIT 3; HP 2; SPECIAL Concussive 1, Slow-Firing 1, Stun Damage

The Stun Damage quality allows you to deal Stun (i.e. Strain) damage instead of actual (Wound) damage. But, Unarmed Combat already allows combatants to choose to do either Stun or Wound damage, so what’s the point with the Stun Damage quality here? What am I not understanding?

2.Parry and Unarmed Parry
The Unarmed Parry talent is an upgrade of the Parry talent, right? If so, then:
--does “Unarmed Parry” qualify as a rank in Parry? (I assume not, but my player asked, so here we are)
--what if the character holds a knife in one hand and nothing in the other, can they benefit from the “while unarmed” Strain reduction cost? And if so, will “Unarmed Parry” always apply unless you use a two-handed weapon? (And even in such instances, a case might perhaps be made that a PC could parry “unarmed” with his legs or horns or whatever? Thoughts?)
--Or are you "unarmed" only when your hands are empty?

3.Iron Body and "unarmed"
Would Iron Body reduce the Crit stat of Brawl weapons used by the PC? (I assume it does since Brawl weapons augments Unarmed Combat… and vice versa?)

4.Does Unarmed Combat & Brawl Weapon qualities stack?
Example: Brass Knuckles have Disorient 3. Does attacks made with Brass Knuckles therefore in effect deal Disorient 4? (I.e. Unarmed Combat’s Disorient 1 + Brass Knuckles’ Disorient 3 = Total Disorient 4). Or do you choose one or the other?

Thanks! MTFBWY!

Edited by angelman2
3 hours ago, angelman2 said:

The Stun Damage quality allows you to deal Stun (i.e. Strain) damage instead of actual (Wound) damage. But, Unarmed Combat already allows combatants to choose to do either Stun or Wound damage, so what’s the point with the Stun Damage quality here? What am I not understanding?

The stun damage quality on this means it can ONLY do Strain damage, not Wound damage. Think of it as a stun pistol that has no lethal setting. You end up doing overall more damage because of the gloves, but it wouldn't be to directly kill.

does “Unarmed Parry” qualify as a rank in Parry?

You assumed correctly, it does not count as a rank as it is a separate talent altogether.

what if the character holds a knife in one hand and nothing in the other, can they benefit from the “while unarmed” Strain reduction cost? And if so, will “Unarmed Parry” always apply unless you use a two-handed weapon? (And even in such instances, a case might perhaps be made that a PC could parry “unarmed” with his legs or horns or whatever? Thoughts?)

This is a clear as mud scenario, but I would rule it as a "no" for balance reasons. Invest either in the appropriate brawl/melee trees to get the appropriate Parry instead of trying to get access to a talent through technicalities.

Would Iron Body reduce the Crit stat of Brawl weapons used by the PC? (I assume it does since Brawl weapons augments Unarmed Combat… and vice versa?)

No, it specifically states unarmed combat, not Brawl weapons. Otherwise, weapons like the vibro-knucklers would be busted as all ****

4.Does Unarmed Combat & Brawl Weapon qualities stack?
Example: Brass Knuckles have Disorient 3. Does attacks made with Brass Knuckles therefore in effect deal Disorient 4? (I.e. Unarmed Combat’s Disorient 1 + Brass Knuckles’ Disorient 3 = Total Disorient 4). Or do you choose one or the other?

Much like with dual wielding, one quality overrides the other, unless it is specifically stated to stack. So if you're using the Brass Knuckles with Disorient 3, that is the Disorient rating you apply unless you have talents/mods that dictate otherwise. You're hitting with the brass, not your physical knuckle.

Edited by GameboyAK

Marvelous reply, @GameboyAK ! Thank you 🙂

Um... follow-up question (and forgive me for not having read up on this yet... this is a spur of the moment question). Can you duel wield unarmed combat? And on the same note, can you duel wield your lightsaber and a kick, for instance?

(Again, I haven't referenced the rules here)

8 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Can you duel wield unarmed combat? And on the same note, can you duel wield your lightsaber and a kick, for instance?

In theory, yes. However, when it comes to dual wielding, it increases or upgrades the difficulty if using two different skills, higher than that of just regular dual wielding as well, so it isn't super practical for that marginal increase in damage.

2 minutes ago, GameboyAK said:

In theory, yes. However, when it comes to dual wielding, it increases or upgrades the difficulty if using two different skills, higher than that of just regular dual wielding as well, so it isn't super practical for that marginal increase in damage.

Good point. But "duel wielding" your fists should work quite well if you're skilled enough, right?

7 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Good point. But "duel wielding" your fists should work quite well if you're skilled enough, right?

If you're just doing fists, it increases it to a hard difficulty from the standard average for melee combat, which is quite feasible for a skilled brawler

Iron Body and "unarmed"

This ability does not allow to augment the brawl weapons. But on page 218 of force and destiny, under unarmed combat last paragraph it says (When using a brawl weapon, the user can choose to use its critical rating instead of the standard brawl critical rating). I think you can use iron body since you modified your standard crit. So if you have a crit 4 brawl weapon and your unarmed is 3 you can choose to use the 3 instead of the 4, or vis versa. Now if you took martial artist and steel hand you can get that down to 1 instead. But this will be up to the GM and how they read unarmed combat.

4 hours ago, angelman2 said:

2.Parry and Unarmed Parry
--what if the character holds a knife in one hand and nothing in the other, can they benefit from the “while unarmed” Strain reduction cost? And if so, will “Unarmed Parry” always apply unless you use a two-handed weapon? (And even in such instances, a case might perhaps be made that a PC could parry “unarmed” with his legs or horns or whatever? Thoughts?)
--Or are you "unarmed" only when your hands are empty?

Gm could allow it but the player would be required to lose any bonus to defense from weapons they have in hand. So if a weapon in hand has defense +1 they would lose that bonus. The only flaw is GM would need to know before the attack if they will use unarmed parry or not, to adjust the attack dice. I know in some pod cast a writer of book was ask the same question about using legs and he said he thinks it's fine. But, they also added it's up to GM. I dont remember where it was.

26 minutes ago, Pantherian said:

Gm could allow it but the player would be required to lose any bonus to defense from weapons they have in hand. So if a weapon in hand has defense +1 they would lose that bonus. The only flaw is GM would need to know before the attack if they will use unarmed parry or not, to adjust the attack dice. I know in some pod cast a writer of book was ask the same question about using legs and he said he thinks it's fine. But, they also added it's up to GM. I dont remember where it was.

If you allow this in the game and they have improved parry. Improved parry, cannot be used.

Thanks, @Pantherian. This game can be pretty daunting, and people like you make coming in to it that much easier ❤️

Your welcome, yea they like leaving some rules a little open so the players and GM can choose how it will work.