Ship Falling apart. Ideas please.

By Stethemessiah, in Game Masters

For reasons I won't go into right now, in my next session I am due to run a "the ship is falling apart and your all going to die in the cold depths of space" which will end in a crash landing an eventual replacement of their ship.

Now this will be happening whilst the ship is in hyperspace, and I intend to run at as a series of overlapping system failures requiring various test and such for the crew, lest they die horribly.

So basically, I'm looking for ideas as to what to do, and ideally have 10, so I can spring them in random order at the roll of a d10.

Here's what I have so far:

Fire - pretty self explanatory

Lighting - gonna give them some seriius black dice on all the other checks.

Life support pumping out toxins - better get that fixed before you all start passing out.

Nav comp - oops seems you have no idea when/if/where you'll be dropping out of hyperspace.

Any input or suggestions will be gratefully received.

If sabotage is an option, then having an enemy agent/bomb onboard to cause the problem might up the stakes and tension a whole bit? Or, someone could have messed with the onboard navicomp, sending the ship off course. Also, if the players are cheap, then all those discounts negotiated at starports might finally have caught up with the ship, causing a chain of malfuncitons that breaks the ship systems completely.

22 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

If sabotage is an option, then having an enemy agent/bomb onboard to cause the problem might up the stakes and tension a whole bit? Or, someone could have messed with the onboard navicomp, sending the ship off course. Also, if the players are cheap, then all those discounts negotiated at starports might finally have caught up with the ship, causing a chain of malfuncitons that breaks the ship systems completely.

Cheers, but the cause of the calamity is already set in motion.

What I'm after is ideas of other challenges/malfunctions to happen on his hyperspace jump from ****.

Ah, you want suggestions for bad things that could occur aboard a wreacked ship going through hyperspace?

--Well, short-outs/burn-outs would be a common problem, I assume.
--Perhaps weapon systems begin firing randomly (possibly wasting missiles/ammo).
--Hm... I wonder how hull breaches works while in hyperspace?
--The ship could attract some hyperspace critters, I guess.
--All doors could simultaneously close and lock.
--The artificial gravity might fail. (Add fire and or water leak to the mix and you're in REAL trouble)
--Temperature regulators might fail, also. Temperatures might climb rapidly, reaching, Idunno, 130 degrees Fahrenheit/55 Celcius within the first hour.
--A gravity shadow might "bump" the ship, causing System Strain at least, and possibly Wounds too.
--Shields could break down.
--If there's a communication dish on the ship it simply HAS TO be torn off. 😝 (No calls for help once the ship exits hyperspace)
--Maneuvering breaks down (the ship can now only turn left...)
--The ship hull twists out of shape, making it impossible to safely enter atmosphere. (I.e. the ship WILL crash if it tries)
--Lights go black.
--Smoke.
--Collapsed hallways.
--Viewport cracks. (Fear tests?)
--The Rathtar escape!
--Buckling floors.
--Sensors detect ghost signals.
--The dejarik table goes haywire, projecting oversized holo-images around the room.

4 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Ah, you want suggestions for bad things that could occur aboard a wreacked ship going through hyperspace?

--Well, short-outs/burn-outs would be a common problem, I assume.
--Perhaps weapon systems begin firing randomly (possibly wasting missiles/ammo).
--Hm... I wonder how hull breaches works while in hyperspace?
--The ship could attract some hyperspace critters, I guess.
--All doors could simultaneously close and lock.
--The artificial gravity might fail. (Add fire and or water leak to the mix and you're in REAL trouble)
--Temperature regulators might fail, also. Temperatures might climb rapidly, reaching, Idunno, 130 degrees Fahrenheit/55 Celcius within the first hour.
--A gravity shadow might "bump" the ship, causing System Strain at least, and possibly Wounds too.
--Shields could break down.
--If there's a communication dish on the ship it simply HAS TO be torn off. 😝 (No calls for help once the ship exits hyperspace)
--Maneuvering breaks down (the ship can now only turn left...)
--The ship hull twists out of shape, making it impossible to safely enter atmosphere. (I.e. the ship WILL crash if it tries)
--Lights go black.
--Smoke.
--Collapsed hallways.
--Viewport cracks. (Fear tests?)
--The Rathtar escape!
--Buckling floors.
--Sensors detect ghost signals.
--The dejarik table goes haywire, projecting oversized holo-images around the room.

Thank you. These are all excellent!

I shall definitely be incorporating some of these.

21 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Hm... I wonder how hull breaches works while in hyperspace?

It works like normal space, as per the last episode of the D-Squad arc in Clone Wars. You probably just can't find them again

To toss a few ideas into the ring

-adding on to the hyperspace critter idea, use the lesser known Starweird.. you'll thank me later ;)

-fuel starts getting vented into space/used extremely rapidly for no reason

-main reactor overheating

-power fluctuations (which may cause or increase/decrease the severity of aforementioned problems)

-cargo getting tossed about the hold/into space