Multiple encounter cards revealing order

By Venompuppy, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

I just had a question about the order that you reveal encounter cards. There are plenty of ways that you can get an encounter card before step 4 of the villain phase when you reveal them, but I didn't know which ones you'd reveal first. Do you reveal them in the order that they came in? Or do you just make a pile of encounter cards to reveal, therefore revealing them backwards? Does it say this anywhere in the rules? It doesn't really matter most of the time, but I know in some of my games I would have been obliterated if Media Coverage came before a rage of Ultron. Which it has before. Does anyone know for sure, or just have there own way of always doing it?

46 minutes ago, Venompuppy said:

I just had a question about the order that you reveal encounter cards. There are plenty of ways that you can get an encounter card before step 4 of the villain phase when you reveal them, but I didn't know which ones you'd reveal first. Do you reveal them in the order that they came in? Or do you just make a pile of encounter cards to reveal, therefore revealing them backwards? Does it say this anywhere in the rules? It doesn't really matter most of the time, but I know in some of my games I would have been obliterated if Media Coverage came before a rage of Ultron. Which it has before. Does anyone know for sure, or just have there own way of always doing it?

The order you reveal encounter cards does not matter. The one exception is if you reveal a card with surge, you must reveal the top card of the encounter deck immediately after resolving that card, even if you still have a facedown encounter card in front of you.

-Caleb

Remedy here,

I used to be OCD about this and resolve in a first drawn, first resolved basis but it became so finicky to 'reorder' every time and they seem to accept that any unknown card is could be any card mentality. What is important is that you are consistent from the start. This is because effects like Heimdall and Falcon manipulate or see part of the encounter deck so it's good to track and know where those cards are at any one time. Now I just resolve from the top of my stack to the bottom and haven't looked back!

25 minutes ago, AlterEgos said:

they seem to accept that any unknown card is could be any card mentality.

Schrödinger’s card.

1 hour ago, KimJoshIl said:

The order you reveal encounter cards does not matter. The one exception is if you reveal a card with surge, you must reveal the top card of the encounter deck immediately after resolving that card, even if you still have a facedown encounter card in front of you.

-Caleb

Thanks Caleb.

3 hours ago, KimJoshIl said:

-Caleb

That being said, I reveal them in the order I received them, when playing solo.

This potentially matters if you’ve seen the top 3 cards of the deck, let’s say, from Falcon, and know you’ll deck out that turn as well.

I always draw one encounter card and fully resolve all that cards effects before the next player draws their encounter card. The effects of the first encounter card drawn may require you to draw the next card from the encounter deck as part of its resolution. I like to know this is done in order from the top of the encounter deck before the next player draws a card.

If I have a face down encounter card, I resolve that before drawing my next encounter card from the deck.

15 hours ago, Janaka said:

I always draw one encounter card and fully resolve all that cards effects before the next player draws their encounter card. The effects of the first encounter card drawn may require you to draw the next card from the encounter deck as part of its resolution. I like to know this is done in order from the top of the encounter deck before the next player draws a card.

If I have a face down encounter card, I resolve that before drawing my next encounter card from the deck.

I'm pretty sure in the rules, it says every one draws there encounter cards first, and then when you're revealing them, you resolve surge cards as needed. The point is, you're supposed to collect your encounter cards before revealing, with the exception of cards that have surge. Or if you happen to kill Green Goblin during step 4 of the villain phase, which has happened to me.

On 5/23/2020 at 1:38 PM, Janaka said:

To expand a little bit more on what Venompuppy said, doing it in the manner that Janaka describes can result in different results that can affect the game in niche situations. The examples below technically make the game slightly easier, but I'm sure someone could also come up with scenarios where it has the opposite effect...

Let's say you are the first player in a four person game, there are 10 cards in the encounter deck, and you use the method described. You draw and reveal "Electromagnetic Pulse", which discards the top 7 cards of the encounter deck. Now there are 2 cards left in the encounter deck, and (assuming there are no Surges), you will end with one acceleration token, and two cards in the discard pile after reshuffling.

In the same scenario, if playing by the rules as written (RAW), you start with 10 cards, 4 cards would be dealt, EP is revealed, there are only 6 cards in the deck, and you discard all 6 to resolve the effect. You now have an acceleration token, and 4 cards in the discard pile after reshuffling (the 3 other cards that were dealt [but not yet resolved], plus the 1 discard from EP).

Alternatively, in a case where Card 1 will cause Surge on the first player, and Card 4 card will cause Surge if dealt to the fourth player... When resolving with RAW (and assuming no other Surges), the first player will resolve Cards 1 & 5, and the fourth player will resolve Cards 4 & 6.

When resolving when each as drawn (still assuming no other Surges), the first player will resolve Cards 1 & 2, and the fourth player will resolve Card 5. That's 1 less Surge, and if there were only 6 cards in the deck, the former example results in a reshuffle, whereas this one does not.

In the end, especially since this is a co-op, I don't think there's a "wrong" way to play; whatever everyone agrees on is perfectly valid.

Edited by JQTNguyen
Corrected error regarding discarding cards caught by Khudzlin.

It is also very significant if you reach the end of the encounter deck.

When you trigger an immediate reshuffle what cards have been resolved (in the discard pile) will now be in the new deck, while encounter cards that havent been resolved yet (still sitting on your side of the table) wont be in the reshuffled deck.

All players are dealt encounter cards before any cards are resolved.

Then all encounter cards are resolved in player order, starting with the first player.

You reveal and resolve the cards one at a time, but there is no set order.

See the Rules reference guide p. 19 under "Villain phase" step 3 and 4.

It's also explained in the "Learn to play" guide on page 16 - Villain phase step 3 and step 4.

Edited by Lindgaard
Spelling errors

Also, because I'm to lazy to just check, if a player died because of an encounter card, and still has encounter cards to reveal, would the next player in order get those encounter cards? Or would you just discard them?

20 minutes ago, Venompuppy said:

Also, because I'm to lazy to just check, if a player died because of an encounter card, and still has encounter cards to reveal, would the next player in order get those encounter cards? Or would you just discard them?

You're lucky I've got my physical rulebook right next to me because I was feeling too lazy to pull up the PDF :P

"When a player is eliminated, that player's hand, all of the cards they control, and their deck are placed in their owners' discard piles. Encounter cards dealt to the player are discarded. Any enemies engaged with that player engage the next clockwise player, retaining any damage, counters, and status cards on them."

Cool, that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure with out having to do any actual work. 😜

Thanks.

On 8/5/2020 at 8:15 AM, JQTNguyen said:

In the same scenario, if playing by the rules as written, 4 cards would be dealt, EP is revealed, there are only 6 cards in the deck, so you need to reshuffle, and then discard 1 more card. You now have an acceleration token, are already 5 cards into the newly shuffled encounter deck (the 4 cards that were dealt, plus the 1 discard from EP), and that much closer to another acceleration token.

You do not continue to discard cards from a deck after emptying and reshuffling it, so there are only 4 cards in the discard.

If all cards from the encounter deck are discarded while an ability is looking for a specified card, the ability fails to find the card, the deck reshuffles, an acceleration token is placed, and the game continues. No cards are discarded from the newly shuffled deck.

On 8/6/2020 at 11:36 PM, Khudzlin said:

You do not continue to discard cards from a deck after emptying and reshuffling it, so there are only 4 cards in the discard.

Ah, right! I forgot about that, as I was typing this up very quickly, and trying to work with small/easy numbers. I'll edit my previous post for accuracy and posterity. Thanks!

I always resolve cards in the order they were dealt, from 1st to last, but by the rules it only matters that you resolve surged cards before the next one in your stack.

As others have said, it’s not correct to fully resolve cards before drawing the next card because all of the cards should be dealt during step 3 and then resolved during step 4. It’s possible to be dealt more cards during step 4 (and common to resolve more by cards surging), but you need to deal everyone’s cards prior to that.

side note, pet peeve I have. We have players in our group that tend to look at their encounter cards out of turn. I keep asking them not to and they contend "what difference does it make?"

Well...we often have a Spider Sense or...what is Stranges' cancel treachery called? anyway, often have one of those and someone peeks ahead, sees "Shadows of the Past", audibly groans...there is almost no chance that Spider Sense is getting used before their turn. Just wait your turn, let it be a surprise. (to be fair, Hydra Patrol is MUCH worse in a 6 player game, but the point stands...everyone knows before they should that a nasty encounter card is coming)

Just wait your turn to look. rant over.

for now

9 hours ago, FearLord said:

I always resolve cards in the order they were dealt, from 1st to last, but by the rules it only matters that you resolve surged cards before the next one in your stack.

We definitely do not particularly when we have knowledge of the card. For example, my son revealed an Exhaustion with Jessica Drew. At the end of the turn I had to shuffle my deck thus gaining that specific encounter card before the villain phase ( stunned villain). That could have been catastrophic if the other card was Gang Up . Making sure we resolved that one last limited the exhaustion effect.

I see no reason why you cant take advantage of Jessica Drew's ability when the rules specifically allow for it.

Edited by IceHot42
8 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

We definitely do not particularly when we have knowledge of the card. For example, my son revealed an Exhaustion with Jessica Drew. At the end of the turn I had to shuffle my deck thus gaining that specific encounter card before the villain phase ( stunned villain). That could have been catastrophic if the other card was Gang Up . Making sure we resolved that one last limited the exhaustion effect.

I see no reason why you cant take advantage of Jessica Drew's ability when the rules specifically allow for it.

Sure, but such situations are rare and generally don’t make much difference (the Spider-Woman example only matters if you’re going to deck out, as usually the card you see will go as a boost).

There isn’t a problem with doing it, but before it was clarified the rules (while vague) definitely implied that you add cards to a ‘stack’ and then resolve that stack so I spent several months thinking you had to resolve them in that order, so I’m pretty much settled on doing it that way personally (I personally feel this is how it should be, but if effects that see the deck become more common, I might change that stance).

By the rules, you can resolve whichever of your cards you like first, but you resolve a surge before another face down card.