The Tie (Impossible) Design Challenge

By ImNtDead, in X-Wing Off-Topic

So I always like coming up with my own stuff for like my own alien races or spaceships as I am sure many of you do; but most of the time when it comes to Star Wars I do tend to leave it as is. However upon watching a youtube video by EC Henry about his custom Tie Fighter, the Tie Vector (If you haven't seen EC Henry and 3D models on youtube then I suggest you go check out his stuff now, its fantastic.) some friends of mine have now challenged me to come up with my own Tie fighter variant. When considering how many Tie fighter variants have been designed whether it be canon or fandom, it almost feels like there is almost no room left to come up with a new design. I am really going to have to think this one through and for the most part I'm afraid I'm gonna just end designing a completely different ship. So I did come up with a list of requirements for myself to keep my design in line.

1. Central Pod Structure

2. Classic Tie Viewport

3. Wing Attachment Pylons

4. Solar Panel Arrays

5. Twin Ion Engine system

These requirements are mainly for myself they not absolute rules for people to follow. You do you if you wanna design your own Tie variant. 😁

Right now I'm kinda thinking some sort of experimental heavy first strike kind of fighter; but I will play around with some design ideas and post em in the comments later for you all to check out.

Have any of you ever come up with your own custom Tie variant? Do you think I may have bitten off more than I can chew? Do you think I have set too many design rules for myself or not enought? Feel free comment and don't hold back, let me know what you all think.

Edited by ImNtDead

A few. One of the Tie variant i made for the WEG RPG, was called a Trilex. Had a B=wing like Trio of S-foils, equal distant, around the ball, all on their own gyropscope.. So it looked like 3 wings, till the "S-foils" opened up...

33 minutes ago, LTuser said:

A few. One of the Tie variant i made for the WEG RPG, was called a Trilex. Had a B=wing like Trio of S-foils, equal distant, around the ball, all on their own gyropscope.. So it looked like 3 wings, till the "S-foils" opened up...

Oh wow so did it still have the solar panels and was each wing as heavily armed as a B-wing?

Yes it still had solar panels.. For weaponry, it had six lasers, one per wing. So just 2 more than an interceptor or defender..

It used to be hosted on the Star Wars Artists Guild site, but i guess the guy who drew it for me, took it down with the rest of his collection..

14 hours ago, LTuser said:

Can you show us an image of it?

EDIT: Oh, is it this one?

216.jpg?itok=4RGkdXLB

Edited by Odanan

custom_tie_variants_by_imntdead_ddxy5vy-

I followed my requirements for the most part and came up with five initial rough draft designs which I then code named for fun.

1. Gungan: My first design I thought I'd get creative with the wing pylons by angling them back, then enlarging the central pod and gave it solar array's similar to the Advanced Tie. At first I thought it would be cool; but once I got it down on paper it looks like I'm trying to incorporate Star Trek Federation ship design into Star Wars.

2. Darth: My second design I went with the idea of a more robust Tie fighter.I gave it an elongated pod similar to the Tie Striker with wider wing pylon and the solar array's I kept very similar to the original Tie; but stretched one end to give it a more pointed look. It was at this point I was definitely thinking that the fighter should be hyperspace capable; but this design looks like I'm playing it safe and I also realized I didn't give it any more heavy armaments.

3. Yavin: My third design addresses some of the flaws I had with the second design. I gave it some heavy weapons pods in the wings to give it more variety of weapons. The solar array's do give it a look similar to the Tie/D; but I don't think that's a big deal. I was still thinking of a hyperspace capable Tie with this design and since I wanted my Tie to be apart of the Empire to fight against the Rebel Alliance I then felt that this design was too good and the Empire wouldn't want it. So I need to figure out something simple like the original Tie; but superior in its own way.

4. Aayla: My forth design I went back to the traditional central tie pod design, took away its hyperspace capability and tweaked the wings which unfortunately just made it look a modified Tie Interceptor. I even had put some laser cannons inside the wings. The solar arrays do look cool however as I inadvertently gave them a coffin shape.

5. Rancor: My fifth design I went back to the idea of a tie fighter that can take a hit or more and needed some heavy armaments. I gave it a sort of egg shaped central pod, reinforced pylons and some solar array's with a split in them that have some heavy laser cannons. I kinda broke one of my requirements by changing the view port; but if you were to look as this Tie from the front it would still look like the same view port.
When I look at my five designs I feel like the Rancor is just what I'm looking for. It may not be capable of hyperspace on its own; but I think I have an idea on how I am going to handle that as I work more on the design and fine tune it with a back story and information to go with it. I will not be keeping the name Rancor that's just a fun code name for the project. Not sure what name I will give it but I am thinking I might just stick with a model number.
Edited by ImNtDead
6 hours ago, Odanan said:

Can you show us an image of it?

EDIT: Oh, is it this one?

216.jpg?itok=4RGkdXLB

Yup. That is it.. Also on that site are a # of other ships and vehicles i made for the SW RPG..

The I-wing

Delta-dart

Mud-hog

Heptal fighter/bomber

Coral buster

Spectre scout ship

MMRV

16 minutes ago, LTuser said:

Yup. That is it.. Also on that site are a # of other ships and vehicles i made for the SW RPG..

The I-wing

Delta-dart

Mud-hog

Heptal fighter/bomber

Coral buster

Spectre scout ship

MMRV

Can you send a link? I just found the image of the ship and have no idea os what site you are talking about.

http://www.swagonline.com/forum

Unfortunately there's no longer a way to look specifically at 'ships', so you'll just have to scroll through all the pictures in the gallery....

I've tinkered with making a TIE walker, something to replace the, in my opinion, silly tie crawler design.

Basically, all it is is a standard tie cockpit, but the wings are a variable geometry like the vulture droid.

The reason being is that a fighter can zoom around in air and space, then land to give troopers support. A versatile platform, able to adapt to any engagement conditions makes it an idea option for a special forces squad, but also for distant garrisons, or an orbiting Quasar-Fire carrier.