(Spoilers?) Things You'd Still Like to See

By EBerling, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

I know there's been lots of talk of particular player cards people were still hoping to see, but not as much discussion of general things they'd still like to see the game address. I put spoilers, since I assume anyone avoiding the unspoiled player cards from Land of Sorrow / Fortress of Nurn might be able to deduce from what folks talk about as still lacking as indicative of what we're not getting. Whether or not the game ever returns in any fashion, these are the sorts of things I'd be most excited to see explored in future designs:

(1) More Tribal Incentives
-- I was hoping for a Contract or other player cards that rewarded players for having heroes all from one tribal subfaction (e.g. Noldor, Silvan, Gondor, etc.). While lots of cards synergize with allies of a particular type, very few actually check for or reward having heroes from the same faction. The few that come to mind are things like Dain-Sp, Denethor-Ld (who can pass to Gondor heroes), and the like. Cards that required that all of your heroes had X Trait would be neat (like Thicket of Spears, but for Gondor instead of Tactics), and could even finally be some incentive to consider running cards like Nor Am I a Stranger, Elf-Friend, or Service of the Steward.

(2) More FFG-Created Heroes
-- Some of my favorite characters are ones that have been created by FFG, such as Bereavor, Thalin, Thalion, Haldan, Lanwyn, Rossiel, and so on. I really like these unknown heroes, and it'd be great to see more, especially to round out factions without many characters (Woodman, Harad, Beorning especially). Even having one more Harad and Woodman hero would allow for building thematic decks with all three heroes of that faction (assuming MotK).

(3) More use for Skills
-- Skills like Noble, Scout, Ranger, and Warrior are neat, but very few cards make use of them, and of the ones that do very few are actually used. To the extent that I can't think of any circumstance where Doughty Ranger or Diligent Noble, for instance, would ever currently be worth using (though I like that they exist).

(4) More Song/Minstrel Exploration
-- Lots of quality songs in the game, it'd be nice to see some more synergy built up with Minstrel and some Instrument Attachments (not unlike what's been done with Pipes recently). Songs are such an integral part of Tolkien's world-building, it'd be great to see a Hero devoted to it as well.

Are you aware the game is over though?

3 minutes ago, banania said:

Are you aware the game is over though?

tenor.gif?itemid=10277190

29 minutes ago, EBerling said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10277190

Haha nice... Jurassic Park if im not mistaken?

It’s all about money, so if we keep asking for things and buying existing things there is a chance we could get some more.

That said I would love to see:

1. Crown of the Windlord Attachment that lets you exhaust it to return a Eagle ally from the discard pile to your hand.

2. Fembrithel an Ent-Wife! (Or just another Lore or Tactics Ent hero like Leaflock or Skinbark preferably the former as its ally isn't great and maybe an ability like deal it a damage to increase its defense by 3)

3. A Stone Giant (Gandalf did say there were good Giants, imagine one who starts with Toughness 1)

4. Lore Legolas (he just seems like he should have one, maybe with the ability to discard a card to ready after declaring an attack or after he participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, ready Legolas. To show his battling hordes of enemies)

5. Some Corsair support, literally anything, a mercenary/pirate for hire similar to the Dwarf but for tactics reassures. Or maybe a Cutless weapon (after declaring character as a defense, exhaust to ready character) and/or her throwing knives (exhaust to attach to an enemy, deal that enemy 2 damage, at the end of each round deal it an additional 2 damage, after enemy is defeated exhaust a character to attach throwing knives onto that character instead of discarding it)

6. Huorn - expensive ally that you place into the staging area and you can exhaust to deal 1 damage to an enemy that is placed in the staging area to replicate their part in The Battle of Helm's Deep, a forest that destroys enemies that enter them. Could also have a similar effect with when an enemy engages you exhaust to deal 1 damage but I like the idea of a staging area Ally.

7. Anduril, guarded weapon that gives Aragorn a boost for having all four different resource icons.

8. Spirit Aragorn ally, it's about time we got an Aragorn ally that could help out in fellowship decks. He could be Spirit or Leadership and grant +1 Willpower to heroes or unique characters.

9. Trebuchet or Ballista Ally that can attack into the staging area.

10. Contract for all trait theme boosting, something like you can only include allies and heroes with the same trait from the following list: (Rohan, Gondor, Noldor, Silvan, Dale, Eagles, Ents, Woodman, Dunedain, Dwarf, Beorning, Hobbit, Outlands, Harad)

Exhaust this card to choose 2 of the following: reduce the cost of the next ally you play this phase by 2, return an ally from your discard pile to your hand, or draw a card.

11. Alliance Contract - All heroes and allies in your deck can only contain two traits from the following list: Rohan, Gondor, Noldor, Silvan, Dale, Woodman, Dunedain, Dwarf, Hobbit, Harad.

For the remainder of the quest, all heroes and allies in play are treated as having both of the chosen traits. (This one would require some playtesting!)

8 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

It’s all about money, so if we keep asking for things and buying existing things there is a chance we could get some more.

I know there's a ton of uncertainty (heck, with Asmodee's recent restructures at FFG and the Covid-tanking economy, who even knows if GamesWorkshop will exist in 5 years). But I actually think LotR's chances of coming back in some form are better now than they were four months ago... maybe still low odds, but better? Card games are much easier to produce, package, and ship than board/miniature games. Given the turmoil in the global production chains, that alone may give them an edge over other products (also look at how many news articles on FFG's page recently have been about a Couple that with the huge influx of new customers/attention in the LotR LCG given the pandemic and staying-at-home (e.g. see the subreddit's data report) alongside the decline in interest in competitive games that require opponents, and LotR LCG probably looks more appealing to produce now than it did at the end of 2019.