noob question about Wookies

By Hersh, in Army Building

I just got into this a week or two ago. I will mainly be playing against my daughter, (important later). I am not a new war gamer but she is, (for ref I played 2nd Ed 40k, she has played... Rebellion?).

So far we have split one core sent and she has picked up Chewie. We also plan to split another core and she will prolly also grab Han.

The question. My daughter has a love affair with Wookies... please no Gilmore Girls references... are the Warriors at all worthwhile? They don't really look it and no one mentions them in their lists. She won't be attending any tournaments or anything, but, she does like to trounce the old man and all.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Da Hersh

They aren't terrible, but they're far from competitive and can be hard to play on the standard 6x3 map of an 800 point game. On the 3x3 map of a Skirmish game, however, I have never seen them fail to get in there and start ripping arms off.

Kind of what I thought. She'll probably still her them. :le sigh:

Thanks for the reply.

Da Hersh

They are fun, which is a big plus. You’ll notice that the primary reason Wookiees are not in lists is their cost vs. having 2 commando strike teams. They play similarly to Chewie, though he is the better value and adds Guardian. If she enjoys Chewie, she’ll enjoy Wookiees even if they are a little redundant.

Fun is good. Again, thanks for the response.

Da hersh

Wookies would be interesting for a hostage team

4 hours ago, syrath said:

Wookies would be interesting for a hostage team

The unit you choose at the start of the game has to be a Corps unit.

I always thought it was Wookiees with 2 'e"s

Is there a difference between languages/regions?

52 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

No just my typo

3 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

The unit you choose at the start of the game has to be a Corps unit.

Yes, bang goes that idea.

13 hours ago, syrath said:

No just my typo

You're in the majority of spelling it that way. I thought i missed something

On May 22, 2020 at 12:09 AM, buckero0 said:

Yes you are correct, it is Wookiees.

I'm going to blame auto correct on my phone for this one...

On 5/21/2020 at 2:29 PM, Hersh said:

I just got into this a week or two ago. I will mainly be playing against my daughter, (important later). I am not a new war gamer but she is, (for ref I played 2nd Ed 40k, she has played... Rebellion?).

So far we have split one core sent and she has picked up Chewie. We also plan to split another core and she will prolly also grab Han.

The question. My daughter has a love affair with Wookies... please no Gilmore Girls references... are the Warriors at all worthwhile? They don't really look it and no one mentions them in their lists. She won't be attending any tournaments or anything, but, she does like to trounce the old man and all.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Da Hersh

If you want to keep her interested encourage her to ger whatever she wants. I play with my much younger brother, same situation more or less (though we alternate factions each game). He's big into fleet troopers and always takes them, wants to buy more. Sometimes they work, sometimes they get wiped out. We got loads of stuff recetly so still trying to figure out wookies, theyve both worked for me really well, and sometimes went down way too easy, but that's the game. Indulge her interests and you'll both share a great hobby.

2 hours ago, Alan Noir said:

If you want to keep her interested encourage her to ger whatever she wants. I play with my much younger brother, same situation more or less (though we alternate factions each game). He's big into fleet troopers and always takes them, wants to buy more. Sometimes they work, sometimes they get wiped out. We got loads of stuff recetly so still trying to figure out wookies, theyve both worked for me really well, and sometimes went down way too easy, but that's the game. Indulge her interests and you'll both share a great hobby.

You just described most rebel units, they can very often wipe on saves. I know it's 1-2 on 6 and red is 1-3 but it never feels that way to me

3 hours ago, Alan Noir said:

Actually, not concerned about keeping her interested. She is an adult, still living at home. She just loves Wookiees. In IA she played the two Wookiees, in x-wing her first purchase on her own was 2 of the Wookiee gunships, she has Lego statues of Chewbacca, a Chewie hoodie, her laptop wallpaper is that Wookiee Jedi, etc.

Thank you, though, it is appreciated.

She is a math wizard, so she is very good at figuring out which units are good and all, so, that is not a concern. And she is quite good at games theory. Before covid, I often hosted a games day and one of our regular games was firefly, which she won more than half the time.

One thing to try is taking 2-3 At-Rt in front of the Wookiees. They create a shield for light cover. With Duck n' Cover you're saving 2 wounds a unit. With flamers on the at rt, the enemy will be shooting them anyway. Usually the Wookiees can then charge in and punch the unit that killed the walker.

They both have expert climber so a lot of times you can sneak in from behind a wall or something. Wookiees will destroy a unit in combat that isn't a force user or Mandalorian.

I like to take Luke as well and just create too many threats. Tauntauns work as well but can get too far ahead and are more expensive

8 hours ago, buckero0 said:

One thing to try is taking 2-3 At-Rt in front of the Wookiees. They create a shield for light cover. With Duck n' Cover you're saving 2 wounds a unit. With flamers on the at rt, the enemy will be shooting them anyway. Usually the Wookiees can then charge in and punch the unit that killed the walker.

They both have expert climber so a lot of times you can sneak in from behind a wall or something. Wookiees will destroy a unit in combat that isn't a force user or Mandalorian.

I like to take Luke as well and just create too many threats. Tauntauns work as well but can get too far ahead and are more expensive

Ok, did you catch the part that she often wins other games? I don't think she will need help on this, thank you. Let me have one game I have a chance at....

:)

I have a really high win percentage with this list I like to call 13 wookiees and a whiner:

Luke Skywalker (Force Push, Force Reflexes, Recon Intel)
Chewbacca (Tenacity)
R2-D2 (C-3PO)
Rebel Troopers
Rebel Troopers
Rebel Troopers
Wookiee Warriors (Bowcaster Wookiee, Duck and Cover, Recon Intel)

Commands:
Son of Skywalker (1), You Serve Your Master Well (1), My Ally Is the Force (2), Full of Surprises (2), Return of the Jedi (3), I am a Jedi (3), Standing Orders (4)

You see @Hersh , it's not wise to upset a Wookiee, they're liable to rip your arms off

Keep in mind, eternal n00b but:

Wookiees aint bad, they are just unfocused. They are good at melee, but not crazy good. They are durable cause of 3 wounds, but the white defense dice without surges means they are only kind of durable. The bowcaster is nice, but only one makes it just OK. If they all had bowcasters, or a red melee dice, or they had red defense or even defensive surge, they could be great, but they are mostly good at a lot of things. The master of none thing combined with hyper efficient tauntauns make them hard to justify. That said, they are not bad, just inefficient. And Weebaer makes wookiee spam a little compelling.

Thanks all. Very insightful and helpful. I think I am glad to be returning to the forums.

P.s yes, the idea of Wookiee spam a bit intimidating.

Edited by Hersh
p.s.

I am currently working on Hoth and Heroes and waiting for my Clan Wren, but if my bonus is good, or tax return.... there may be a wookie spam in my future. Checking the used lots now to see if I can grab them cheap.