Fellowship Aragorn and Barliman Butterbur

By steve83, in Rules questions & answers

I think this is probably unintended, but when playing those Saga quests that use either version of Fellowship Aragorn, with one player using three Hobbit heroes, then due to the wording on his card, Barliman Butterbur seems to become useless whenever that player is the first player (which is permanently in the case of playing singlehanded solo).

If each hero you control has the Hobbit trait, damage from undefended attacks against you may be assigned to Barliman Butterbur.

Both versions of Fellowship Aragorn include the text "The first player gains control of Aragorn." which seems to neutralise Barliman Butterbur's ability.

There may be other cards similarly affected by this situation (though thankfully Thicket of Spears is immune for monosphere tactics decks).

Am I reading this right?

Edited by steve83

I believe so. Good point. One of thr trade offs of the saga extra hero... toss him out of your hobbit deck for solo aragorn quests and put in something else

You’re right. But I believe you have the designer’s blessings to ignore that. In the past Caleb answered a question that way... he was asked whether you can use cards that say you can only play them if all of your heroes have a particular printed resource icon. He said according to the rules you can’t, but go ahead anyway, as I recall.

Thanks.

My question was only theoretical, anyway, as I intend to split my hobbits up as per the story, when the time comes (and then Butterbur loses his ability). I also don't think I actually have any other cards that would be affected (though a few show up with a quick search on ringsdb).

2 hours ago, GrandSpleen said:

You’re right. But I believe you have the designer’s blessings to ignore that. In the past Caleb answered a question that way... he was asked whether you can use cards that say you can only play them if all of your heroes have a particular printed resource icon. He said according to the rules you can’t, but go ahead anyway, as I recall.

FWIW, what I remember here is Matt Newman (in 2016) saying it was OK to use Strider for full value even if a Saga hero pushed you over the limit:

However, Caleb later ruled (in 2019) that he would not be so generous:

Do "Strider" and other "if you control 2 heroes" cards like "Vanish From Sight" ignore Baggins/Fellowship heroes? Because those cards can sadly seldom be used in Saga Expansions (or well, yes, multiplayer, when the Saga hero changes of player) whereas some decks can be built around those cards. The issue is even worse on solo, of course.

A saga hero (Bilbo or Frodo) is still a hero. So if you have 2 heroes + a saga hero, then you have 3 heroes.

ah well, thanks for digging those up

Caleb, King of the Grim Rule