Star Wars: Fascinating Facts by Pablo Hidalgo

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

c05ivfyhkly41.jpg

Star Wars: Fascinating Facts by Pablo Hidalgo preview page 7; September 15th, 2020 release

75 MGLT? that's not... very fast. I guess it's "fast" feature is only when jumping in hyperspace.

And poor Pablo. The less he has to write about the Sequels, the better for him.

45 minutes ago, Odanan said:

75 MGLT? that's not... very fast. I guess it's "fast" feature is only when jumping in hyperspace.

Yeah. I think the Falcon is only touted as being fast through hyperspace and not actually sublight speeds. Its fast for a freighter but not Starfighter quick.

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

In my own head Canon when Han says the Falcon is the fastest ship in the Fleet he is

A. Boasting the way Han always boasts

and

B. It IS the fastest ship comparative to the other capital ships. After all the Falcon with the proper crew** packs the punch of a small capital ship and is the equivalent of at least a full squadron of snub fighters (mind you I was 12 years old at the time and this predates the X-Wing game rules by 29 years).

Also,

Some folks think MGLT is based off tthe ship speed metric from the XWing/TIE games.

But MGLT goes back to at least 1981 as it was in Lucas Film preliminary sketches showing the comparative speeds of all the Rebel and Imperial Snub Fighters seen in Return of the Jedi and the Falcon .

latest?cb=20090518183931

I still have this great book from 1983 😊

** In Return of the Jedi the Falcon finally had the benefit of a FULL crew including TWO Rebel Generals and a Sullustan Hero.

Hope you are well @Odanan

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

And poor Pablo. The less he has to write about the Sequels, the better for him.

A Long Long Time Ago, in a West End Games far Away, I remember he used to ask me questions 🀣 🀣 🀣

2 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

A Long Long Time Ago, in a West End Games far Away, I remember he used to ask me questions 🀣 🀣 🀣

That's pretty BADA55 in my book.

Do you still have some contact with him? Could you ask him to include the Assault Gunboat Alpha-Class Starwing in any new canon product? (preferably with the SLAM). We of the Cult of Gunboat would be forever in debt with you. πŸ˜‰

8 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

In my own head Canon when Han says the Falcon is the fastest ship in the Fleet he is

A. Boasting the way Han always boasts

and

B. It IS the fastest ship comparative to the other capital ships. After all the Falcon with the proper crew** packs the punch of a small capital ship and is the equivalent of at least a full squadron of snub fighters (mind you I was 12 years old at the time and this predates the X-Wing game rules by 29 years).

Also,

Some folks think MGLT is based off tthe ship speed metric from the XWing/TIE games.

But MGLT goes back to at least 1981 as it was in Lucas Film preliminary sketches showing the comparative speeds of all the Rebel and Imperial Snub Fighters seen in Return of the Jedi and the Falcon .

latest?cb=20090518183931

** In Return of the Jedi the Falcon finally had the benefit of a FULL crew including TWO Rebel Generals and a Sullustan Hero.

Hope you are well @Odanan

Nice image!! God I always loved the A-Wing's insane speed.

Everything is fine here - at least for me (never stopped working). But all around we see people getting fired and businesses closing. It will be a harsh aftermath.

7 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

latest?cb=20090518183931

If you are wondering how the standard TIEs evolved to become faster than an X-Wing, that’s based off a throw away line George Lucas says in an early documentary and Japan’s WW II Mitsubishi A6M β€˜Zero’ that West End Games run with.

Yeah X-Wing game fans, that bit was from us πŸ˜‡

5 minutes ago, Odanan said:

That's pretty BADA55 in my book.

Do you still have some contact with him? Could you ask him to include the Assault Gunboat Alpha-Class Starwing in any new canon product? (preferably with the SLAM). We of the Cult of Gunboat would be forever in debt with you. πŸ˜‰

HA!

I would if I get the chance! I always expect to bump into him at Celebration. Alas we lost contact in the mid 1990s before texting and emails were a big thing.

I still hate emails to this day.

58 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

cover1.jpg

πŸ˜‰

2 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I always expect to bump into him at Celebration.

Stalk him! Stalk him good!